This book started out pretty strong, but really picked up the pace at the end.  It takes place 6 or so years after a terrible (fictitious) terrorist incident in Vienna in a restaurant in hoity toity Carmel, California.  There, Henry Pelham, who has been tasked with determining if there were a mole in the Vienna CIA office during the incident, interviews Celia Harrison, who had been his lover when the incident occurred, but who retired right after the incident, married a much-older very rich (obviously) man, and had 2 children with him.   So this is both a personal and professional reunion.

I don't really want to say much more.  If you like thrillers that are more intellectual than action, this one if for you.  I figured out the very first layer, more or less, pretty early on, but there were twists upon twists and I did not figure all of them out right away.  By the time I realized what was going on, I was glued to the book and couldn't wait to read to the end.  

If anyone reads this, please answer the questions in the spoiler.  

First question:  What do you think happened at the very end?  Do you think "natch" is a clear enough answer that Henry authorized Celia's murder or do you think the assassin didn't feel comfortable killing her with that kind of a response?  Second question:  What do you hope happens?  Since Henry was the mole, I think he's the one who probably should end up dead.  On the other hand, I feel like he did all the wrong things for her and all she says is "wrong decision."  So probably she should be offed for that.  Third, do you think she ever really retired?  Is she still CIAing it in other ways?

"1) I don't know if Celia got it. It could go either way. I go back and forth. Probably what the author wanted.

2) I hope Celia got it also. Henry could have just been shot.  Instead, she conspires with CIA hitmen to poison him and then stay around for the ride. She even asked him several times if he was OK,  knowing he was dying.  How disingenuous. Henry likely deserved it because his actions led to the deaths of 120 people. But, he did it to save her life. If confronted with the situation, but instead her children were at risk, we know damn well what she would have done. What would any of us do?

3) I think she did retire, but this "event" will propel her back into the CIA. I think she misses the rush and who knows, maybe she'll start screwing around with Karl with a K, another loathsome character.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By IaOoBMOT-Mike
      Cannibal doctors, fascists, corrupt hospitals, hit-men, drugs, organs, and head implants!

Follow CIA agent Clark and his rag tag team as they put together a sting operation and seek to oust corruption from a pair of highly corrupt hospitals and trigger a greater nationwide reform of the medical system in the process.

The book considers the exponentially increasing number of deaths from preventable medical errors, and the CIA's attempt to oust corruption from hospitals - more specifically, the "murderer doctor" demographic, of the three main types of preventable medical error deaths (intentional, accident, and negligence). The book's story focuses on two highly corrupt hospitals where cannibalism and black market organ trading are occurring.

Just in time for Halloween - This is the first book I've ever written, hope you enjoy it! Feel free to ask me (the author) anything in this thread!
      I actually wrote this book with the intention of saving lives by pointing out the exponentially increasing number of deaths from preventable medical errors, which are right now the third leading cause of death in the United States (behind Heart Disease #1, and Lung Cancer #2). Deaths from preventable medical errors were doubling every 10 years, and if the 2014 statistic of 470,000 deaths from preventable medical errors is accurate, they are doubling faster than every 4 years.
      Link  (via BGO hyperlink)

• By Lawrence Wilson
      In the era of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, Edward Snowden and hardened cyber security, how do free and democratic nations balance the rights of their citizens with national security? WikiLeaks Exposed seeks to shed light on the motivations of its founder, funding sources, media partners, and the use of cyber technology to protect leaked intelligence information before it is released to the public. This eBook also examines WikiLeaks use of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, the Surface, Deep and Dark Web, exploit Linked In to create IC Watch, its connection with the Tor Project, PRG, OVH, and the Freedom of the Press Foundation along with the Wau Holland Foundation. And just how did WikiLeaks aid and abet Edward Snowden's flight to Moscow in search of political asylum? Finally, this new eBook will examine the role Russia played in providing classified information to WikiLeaks and its impact on the 2016 US Presidential Election. Order your copy today on the Kindle Store: Lawrence, Genesys Publishing

Edit:
      Illegal link replaced with BGO/Amazon hyperlinks
      Amazon.co.uk
      Amazon.com
    • By Viccie
      264 wood and ivory carvings, none of them bigger than a matchbox: Edmund de Waal was entranced when he first encountered the collection in his great uncle Iggie's Tokyo apartment. When he later inherited the 'netsuke', they unlocked a story far larger and more dramatic than he could ever have imagined.

From a burgeoning empire in Odessa to fin de siecle Paris, from occupied Vienna to Tokyo, Edmund de Waal traces the netsuke's journey through generations of his remarkable family against the backdrop of a tumultuous century.

I'm amazed there isn't a thread already on this book unless it disappeared in the crash for I know several BGOers loved this book, it won the Costa Biography award and got rave reviews but I found it really hard to get on with;

It may have been that I approached it with too high expectations, it's been in the TBR bookcase for some time and I was really looking forward to reading it for the book group because we have brilliant discussions which really add to the understanding of a book, but I began to struggle almost from the beginning.

It should have been fascinating, it covers so many interesting topics, the Japanese netsuke, Parisian life in the 1880s and 90s for a very rich, very cultivated collector of beautiful things whose wealth didn't protect him from anti-Semitism, Vienna up to the Second World War, the fall of a vast banking fortune.... but a lot of the time despite the subjects it was rather dull.  The first section in Paris was far too long, it was full of suppositions 'Charles would have walked...' which were supposed to add life to the narrative I think but slowed it down instead and Charles Ephrussi may have had a wonderful eye for art but he wasn't interesting to read about at length. 

If I hadn't been reading it for the book group I might have abandoned the book in Paris which would have been a shame as the section on Vienna is easily the most interesting part of the book, both for the descriptions of how the Viennese Jewish community tried to assimilate completely into Austrian life - and failed for many reasons and for the inexorable rise to power of the pro-Nazi factions in Austria.  The third section on Japan after the war went back to being far too full of extraneous detail about mundane things with far too little detail on the netsuke are supposed to be the thread that binds all the disparate parts of the book together.

I think - and so did several members of the book group when we met yesterday - that though Edmund du Waal is a perfectly competent writer he isn't good enough to tie all the disparate elements of a huge story like this and weld it into a really compelling narrative.  It was interesting, I'm glad I read it all and kept with it, I learned a lot and I'll remember it but I'm rather puzzled about why it garnered all that adulation and for me this certainly isn't a keeper.
    • By Binker
      This is the second Olen Steinhauer book I've read. The first one was The Bridge of Sighs, which I have not reviewed and don't remember well enough to review except that I remember thinking it was very good and hoped I would be able to find other books by this author.

The Tourist is that book. It concerns a CIA Agent named Milo Weaver who was for many years a "tourist," a term which means an off-the-grid CIA agent who is sent in to investigate or assassinate as his superiors direct. He has chosen to get out of the business of being a tourist, although he still works for the CIA, in order to have a normal family life. But he gets sucked back into it when an assassin he has been trying to capture dies and a friend of his is investigated for treason. I won't say much more because it would just be one long spoiler, but the book is very good on two levels. There's the normal espionage level, which I always enjoy even when I think to myself, "What in the world is going on?????" I like those kinds of movies (e.g., the Bourne movies) and I enjoy those kinds of books.

The second level is the one that all of the best espionage books deal with: trust, betrayal, manipulation, and loyalty. We all think that we know which of these is a virtue and which is not, but a book where you are manipulated for your own good, trust and are loyal to the wrong person, and betray those whom you realize you should not have betrayed allow us to think more carefully about how those actions impact our own lives. But even if you don't want to make this story that serious, it's a good one. If you like thrillers, you will enjoy it.