From my blog:

The Disappearance Boy of the title is Reggie Rainbow, a magician's assistant in the 1950s. Reggie works for the rather nasty Teddy Brooks, a magician famous for making his glamorous assistants disappear from a box, with Reggie's behind the scenes help of course. 

The book is mainly set in Brighton in 1953, just before the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Teddy has won a lucrative contract at the Brighton Grand which could lead to great things if his coronation show goes well. Teddy has recently sacked his last assistant, and taken on Pam. Pam and Reggie strike up a close friendship, which supports them both as the story progresses. 

The novel is based in the world of variety and magic, and the narrator is keen to explain how the disappearance trick is done, telling the reader all about misdirection. The story unfolds slowly, but beautifully. When we first meet Reggie we are told of his childhood polio which has left him with a dodgy left foot, and slowly it becomes clear that the lonely and solitary Reggie is also gay. Being gay in 1953, when homosexuality was still illegal in the UK, was not easy, and the art of illusion is woven into Reggie's personal and professional life. 

As I was reading this I thought it was obvious where the story was going, and where Pam and Reggie would ultimately end up, and then, in the last few chapters I was completely blindsided by the plot. Just like a perfect magic trick, I was lulled in to a false sense of security, and misdirected perfectly.

It is wonderfully written, the narrator talking directly to the reader, and it was a real pleasure to read, evoking the times, places and characters vividly. It isn't fast paced, but it doesn't need to be, it's wonderful to watch Reggie come out of his shell and discover and accept who he is. 

• 3 months later...

I just finished this book.  It is compulsively readable.  The plot is strong, the descriptions are evocative, and the character development top-notch.  The magician feels like a total cipher, which seems right, but the other two characters--Reg and Pam are so vivid that it seems that you know them.  In fact, one of my "clues" that things were not entirely as they seemed was when one of the characters

Pam

starts behaving in a way that I described as totally out of character.  Very good recommendation.  Thank you, Nellie.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MisterHobgoblin
      Skin Lane is stunning. As 2007 draws to a close, I’m confident that this is my novel of the year. It knocks spots off everything on the Booker longlist.

The novel is noir-ish – it features Mr Freeman, a lonely bachelor who works as a master fur cutter in a small, family owned company in the city of London. It is 1967, the year that saw the summer of love and great social change.

Mr Freeman, or Mr F as he is known to all, is a throwback. He has owned three brown suits in his 33 year working life. He lives alone and has no social life. He has never been in love. At times, his life feels Victorian, rather than preserved in aspic somewhere between 1934 and 1967. But Mr F’s life kickstarts into action as he starts to dream of a dead body in his bathroom and the furriers takes on the owner’s nephew as an apprentice.

Skin Lane is narrated with an insistent voice, talking directly to the reader from the present day. There are knowing asides that could have been irritating if they were not done with such a gentleness of touch. Skin Lane takes the social changes of 1967 and shows how little they touched some parts of 1960s London, whilst the new generation took for granted what the older generation would never really feel free enough to enjoy. And in this is the irony of Mr Freeman, who didn’t even have the freedom to be known by his full name.

Skin Lane explores themes of love and sexuality. As in Alfie, the film, they are shown as isolating rather than joyful. We feel the tragedy of wasted lives, mindnumbing routine, drudgery. Like the furs, and like Mr F’s suits, the novel feels as though it is painted in brown. But amongst the drabness, there is detail that sings. Neil Bartlett manages to create a complete world around No 4 Skin Lane and the surrounding churches and warren of lanes. The attention to detail in describing the work of the furriers – both in the cutting room and in the office – is utterly compelling without ever feeling stodgy. And the knowing contrasts with the present give a very eerie feeling. We know that the fur trade in Skin Lane is doomed. We know that fur itself will become taboo. This just adds to the melancholy of the piece as we watch the reverence for traditions that will be gone forever in just ten years time.

The denouement, when it comes, is achieved with grace and style. It feels profound, but never loses touch with the immediate and personal tragedies at play.

This novel is a masterpiece.