Knots and Crosses

Review first published on my blog:

Rankin-KnotsandCrosses_zpsde10912c.jpg

This is a re-read for me, but it was so long ago that I read it the first time, I couldn't remember much about it. I had also forgotten how much I enjoy the Rebus books. 

The Delightful Mr F and I used to live close to Edinburgh, and whilst we never developed local knowledge of the city, the descriptions are enough to bring the spirit of Edinburgh through. The elegant streets of the new town against the creepy cobbled alleyways of the old town are all used to great effect as a serial killer kidnaps girls and murders them leaving cryptic clues.

Rebus is a wonderful character, he's a proper hard boiled cop. Hard drinking, a good judge of character and in it up to his neck. There is a nice parallel story about the relationship between Rebus and his brother. 

If you want a good mystery, set in a wonderful and atmospheric location with a nasty baddie, and some believable characters then you can't go far wrong. I have book 2 on my shelves, which I think I shall save for the Christmas break. I can feel a reading binge coming on. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By lunababymoonchild
      From Amazon : The second book in the Malcom Fox Series, Malcolm Fox and his team are back, investigating whether fellow cops covered up for Detective Paul Carter. Carter has been found guilty of misconduct, but what should be a simple job is soon complicated by a brutal murder and a weapon that should not even exist.

A trail of revelations leads Fox back to 1985, a year of desperate unrest when letter-bombs and poisonous spores were sent to government offices, and kidnappings and murders were plotted. But while the body count rises the clock starts ticking, and a dramatic turn of events sees Fox in mortal danger.

Recommended
    • By lunababymoonchild
      This book was written thirty years ago (you can tell, central locking in cars seems to have been a novelty and as for mobile phones, non-existent) and it went out of print.  The only Rankin to do so.  Legend has it that a fan persuaded Ian Rankin to give it another read and he realised that it wasn't as bad as he originally thought it was and had it re-released, this year. 

So, it's about a facility that uses satellites to monitor goings on.  Something bad happens and one of the scientists ends up trying to battle secret service agents to find out the truth.  A little far fetched but interesting none the less and an entertaining read.

Recommended.
    • By lunababymoonchild
      Rebus 21.  Rankin is one of my favourite authors so I tend to enjoy whatever he writes.  Especially Rebus.

In this adventure we find Rebus simultaneously investigating a cold case of 40 years standing and trying to stop all out gang war in Edinburgh in the present.

I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. Unlike previous Rebus adventures this one left me thinking a lot about Rebus' constant adversary Big Ger Cafferty for a long time after I'd finished the book.

• By lunababymoonchild
      A very short book - 48 pages - by one of my favourite authors. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's about a student who goes to Paris and works in a book shop in exchange for room and board.  He meets a mysterious man and things get interesting from there.  In spite of it being short it is unpredicatable and thus a very satsifying read.

No Rebus in sight.

Recommended
    • By Hazel
      As a Scot I am (almost) ashamed to admit that I have never read any of Ian Rankin's crime books, and feeling decidedly humble, I feel ready to change this and am intrigued by the adoration he and his books seem to generate. There are so many to choose from and I just wonder what is the best one to start with, read, or even your favourite? That way I can choose a good one to read?