Embarrassing Fashions

Royal Rother

BGO members cover a pretty wide age group by the looks of things and we will have followed a huge number of fashion trends throughout our collective lives.

Are there any that you recall with shame / embarrassment (or pleasure if you like)? If so I think it could be entertaining to share them with the rest of us!

I have never really been a follower of fashion myself so there's not much for me to relate re clothing but I do recall with some embarrassment smoking a pipe as a 19 year old. Used to take it with me to the local pub for a few months and puff away for a couple of minutes at a time before the bloody thing went out and / or filled my mouth with putrid brown juice!

Hmm, now I think about it maybe it was a minor fashion thing as I don't remember anyone really taking the piss out of me - acceptable in the late 70s perhaps, but if a 19 year old was seen out smoking a pipe now they would probably never recover from the ridicule heaped upon them.

Hmm, now I think about it maybe it was a minor fashion thing as I don't remember anyone really taking the piss out of me - acceptable in the late 70s perhaps, but if a 19 year old was seen out smoking a pipe now they would probably never recover from the ridicule heaped upon them.

Only, perhaps, if the pipe was filled with regular tobacco (as I am assuming your pipe was?) :D

1. White stilettos

2. A mullet-type perm (It was the eighties!)

3. Leggings with big Sanctuary t-shirt, wide belt and optional leg-warmers.

Thing I miss the most? I had a pair of suede stiletto ankle boots in black with buckles all the way up. A pain to do up, take off, clean and walk in ... and if I could get away with them today I would.

I seem to recall sporting something rather mullet-like in the 80s. That's the thing with fashion, though - you look a complete dork but you get away with it.

About 10 years before that, I had a pair of platform boots which I inadvisedly wore to Swindon v Reading FA Cup tie. Following a 4-0 defeat and whilst trudging away from the game, someone decided to lob a brick through a shop window which resulted in our being chased back to the station - no fun when your feet are several inches away from the road.

Around the same time, I recall that my daily office wear was a browny-greeny checked sports jacket, checked trousers (different colours / pattern), patterned shirt, ill-matching tie, and a patterned pullover with the shirt cuffs turned over. :o

Hello. Teenage fat goth (think Bob Smith out of The Cure) here with long dyed black hair and personal hole in ozone layer due to extensive hairspray abuse, which continued into later years in a doomed attempt to reproduce a Morrissey style quiff. Really should have started on the latter before my hair began to fall out.

Wardrobe nearly all blacker than a black thing (apart from the odd purple tie-dyed and paisley effort) along with pointy winklepicker boots, studded belt and a variety of cheap jewellery. T-shirts celebrating the aforementioned Cure, The Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, The Mission and All About Eve. I didn't quite go the whole hog - no leather trenchcoat, big black hat or make up.

Essentially, a look the emaciated and zitless might just about have been able to carry off in 1986 with heads held high. I had no chance.

Essentially, a look the emaciated and zitless might just about have been able to carry off in 1986 with heads held high.

Did we meet then? Actually I had that requisite 'look', but preferred a non-dyed spiky mop a la Jesus & Mary Chain. I appreciate the difference might seem negligible, but people who called me a 'Goth' were given pretty short shrift, I can tell you. (The look was briefly termed 'Crackdown', I recall. Didn't go much for that, either...)