Sign in to follow this  
wendyjames

Who wrote this short story?

Many years ago I recall reading a sci-fi short about time travel. The plot involved people returning to major historical events to see things for themselves.

The ending revealed that when Pontius Pilate asked the crowd who should be spared crucifixion, it was the time travellers shouting for Barabbas not the indigenous population.

Any ideas, or pointers on where to look?

Thanks in anticipation.

I don't recognise the description as such but the time tourist aspect is similar to where Robert Heinlein was heading with the Lazarus Long stories. You might want to take a look in that direction...

And for some reason I have PK Dick coming into my head.

HTH

I've read this story - I remember how it ends. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what it is called or who it is by. :( Could be Heinlein as I used to read a lot of his stuff, or perhaps Ray Bradbury - the twist at the end is reminiscent of his SF.

Maybe Let's go to Golgotha by Garry Kilworth?

In the future period where the story takes place, time travel has been invented and made commercially available. Among other historical events, tourists can book a time-traveling "Crucifixion Tour." Before setting out, the tourists are strictly warned that they must not do anything to disrupt history. Specifically, when the crowd is asked whether Jesus or Barabbas should be spared, they must all join the call "Give us Barabbas!". (A priest absolves them from any guilt for so doing) However, when the moment comes, the protagonist suddenly realizes that the crowd condemning Jesus to the cross is composed entirely of tourists from the future, and that no actual Jewish Jerusalemites of 33 A.D. are present at all.

Everything comes to (s)he who waits. :D

Aren't you glad you returned to BGO, wendyjames?

Congratulations on doing it again, Adrian, our super booksleuth!

I really don't know how Adrian does it whenever I have a wee search, I either run out of patience or find obscure sites with nothing to do with the original search.

I have to give a shout out to the good folks at the The Beard Community Bulletin Board, though wendyjames hasn't actually confirmed it's the book she's looking for.

Found with this search: http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=%22time+travellers%22+%22pontius+pilate%22+barabbas+released+instead+of+jesus&btnG=Search&meta=

wendyjames hasn't actually confirmed it's the book she's looking for.

I felt that it was a safe conclusion to jump to. I would be quite flabbergasted if there were two stories around with that theme!