Nominations for the 3rd BGO Book Group Read of 2014

I would suggest either of the following, with :

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris:  This was the first David Sedaris book I ever read and it's still my favorite.  He tackles various subjects from his life:  his parents, both of whom were very idiosyncratic; his speech therapy; his attempts to learn French when he moved with his boyfriend to France, including his description of his French lessons and his attempt to speak French; and his childhood ambition (too funny to spoil here).  Very funny book.  If you listen to books, he reads it himself, which just adds to the merriment.

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits by Dave Barry.  I think I brought him up before and posted his summary of the year in review for 2012 and 2013.  He's very funny.

Sedaris and Barry (both named David...hmmm) are both very funny.  Sedaris might be a little bit more mordant, but they are neither of them much into political humor.  

Some Tom Sharpe books

PG Wodehouse

Anthony Burgess - Enderby 

Flashman - GMF

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

David Niven - Moon;s a Balloon

Dave Barry and David Sedaris and a funny book will certainly think on.

Nominate one book ?

Edited by Clavain

Nominate one book ?

Clavain, only one nomination per person, *** life is unfair and with such a great theme it is hard.   :sorry:  

Thank you Tag, just what we needed and look forward to seeing what is chosen.  

****Edited much later and after reading Luna's post below - My apologies, Clavain, but  I'm glad I was wrong and  you CAN nominate more than one book. Thanks for the correction, Luna :)

Edited by grasshopper

I have a resistance to books published as comic novels, so this subject did not appeal to me at all.

My style preference is "harrowing" but I have been amused in the past by some novels by Tom Sharpe & David Lodge, and by some light autobiographies.

One book that amused me this year was a  "Whodunnit"  - Clubbed To Death by Ruth Dudley Edwards (BGO thread here)

I would nominate it, but it was the fourth in the series, and Grasshopper says it is best to read them in order, so I'm daring to nominate the first in the series, unread.

Corridors of Death by Ruth Dudley Edwards

Battered to death with a piece of abstract sculpture titled ‘Reconciliation,’ Whitehall departmental head Sir Nicholas Clark is claimed by his colleagues to have been a fine and respected public servant cut off in his prime. Bewildered by the labyrinthine bureaucracy of Whitehall, Scotland Yard’s Super-intendent Jim Milton recognizes a potential ally in Clark’s young Private Secretary, Robert Amiss.
Milton soon learns from Amiss how Whitehall works: that it can be Machiavellian and potentially homicidal, that Sir Nicholas was obnoxious and widely loathed, that he had spent the weeks before his murder upsetting and antagonizing family and associates, and that his last morning on earth had been spent gleefully observing the success of his plan to embarrass his minister and his department publicly. And they still need to discover who wielded the blunt instrument.
This is the first of Ruth Dudley Edwards’ witty, iconoclastic but warm-hearted satires about the British Establishment.

Just realised I have heard David Sedaris a few times on Radio 4 at the end of last year. Found his American humour sometimes very confusing but often very funny.Not sure if the book is a novel but would not be averse to trying.

David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day

Been feeling a lot of nostalgia for Tom Sharpe once the question of humorous books was posed. During the 80s read all his books and had many a chuckle.

Tom Sharpe - Porterhouse Blue

Tom Sharpe - Riotous Assembly

Two of my favourites :)

David Niven - Moon's a Balloon

Mainly because I have never read it. Autobiography and biography have never really appealed to me.A few friends of mine always mention this book when talking about autobiographies saying it's the funniest they have read. 

Caitlin Moran - How To Be a Woman

Because my sister says it's an hilarious book that every woman should read and every man if they dare :)

p.s Find it hard to believe Cassie luna and Ting that you have never read a book that has not made you laugh or at least smile :)

Edited by Clavain

Sedaris doesn't write novels, just humorous essays.  Dave Barry has written novels, but mostly he does humorous essays.

Gram likes Carl Hiaasen, so I'll suggest him, too.  I would suggest one of his earlier books:  Tourist Season or Double Whammy.  

p.s Find it hard to believe Cassie luna and Ting that you have never read a book that has not made you laugh or at least smile :)

Well, I thought the James Herriot books were very funny when I was around 11/12 y.o. but not sure how funny they'd be now.

I do have a copy of The Moon's a Balloon, though.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Glad to second Corridors of Death, nominated by meg.  This funny satire could  raise the shade of dear Sir Humphrey Appleby among us, but these characters make him seem kindly and benign in comparison .

I would also be interested in reading Dave Barry's Greatest Hits, an author new to me. Have been searching lately for humour but finding it hard as what is listed on websites didn't seem to fit the bill. I appreciate the suggestions here and will follow some up even if they don't get chosen as the Group Read. 

Just like Cassie, Luna and Ting I found it hard to think of a suitable a book based  on humour. Lots of books make me laugh and smile, but that is always  incidental to the main theme and in the dialogue or characters, so it was hard to choose.

Like meg, I tend to be on the 'harrowing' side!

I've read How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran and really disliked it! I know some people who loved it