The Five Worst Book Covers Ever?

Exactly, Viccie. Interesting that four of the five covers feature women. I am a strong advocate against exploitation of the female in the media, and this certainly proves my point! #1 - outright ridiculous; #2 - idiotic; #4 - sick; #5 - pathetic.

In all (but one?) of these cases, the covers are for books that are already well known - presumably trying to sell copies to people who were not part of the original target market. Aesthetically, I love the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It would make me stop and pick the book up; it would make me think that underneath the children's story there is something dark and dystopian - that hollow people are being manipulated. It is an inappropriate cover, though, because it suggests the female characters are central when they are not. 

Sorry but I miss the point of the argument. We can take any art from the past and jeer

TV games books film newspapers music theatre  .... some look so sexist homophobic racist etc Life and the norm in that time.

Grauniad I read daily but they do have some shite on their website

Edited by Clavain

This is what I said about the new Charlie book cover on FB - I am not sure about the cover at all. On one hand it sums up a modern, warped Violet Beauregard and the notion of spoiled children, selfish children and parent who mould their children to be what they want them to be...but on the other hand it's not what I immediately think of when I think of this book.

Sorry but I miss the point of the argument. We can take any art from the past and jeer

TV games books film newspapers music theatre  .... some look so sexist homophobic racist etc Life and the norm in that time.

Grauniad I read daily but they do have some shite on their website

Three of these covers are current though.  The point about all these covers though is that the old ones and the new ones just aren't appropriate for the content f the book.  I can remember books at home with covers like the one for 1984 but they were for books like Angelique (a splendid French bodice ripper series) and what are now known as Airport novels.  And yes, there were loads of books with breasts on the covers in the 70's, it was pretty much standard for any book that had what could even be loosely called titillating content, but the Princess Bride doesn't have any.

I think publishers don't do themselves any favours by repackaging books as something they aren't; for every one who is happy to be introduced to something new there are far, far more who are downright irritated by being misled - and I suspect that those who are influenced by a cover into thinking that Wuthering Heights or The Bell Jar are as accessible as most general commercial women's fiction are precisely those who don't buy many books.  Once disappointed they aren't likely to shell out again.

Edited by Viccie

I don't think the Bell Jar or Wuthering Heights are bad covers. I think the Princess Bride is hilarious though, so unlike the story.

My issue with Charlie is that Violet is not the main focus of the story so it doesn't represent the story at all on face value. However it does represent the madness of the other children quite nicely and the much darker aspects of the book.

The new cover for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory seemed to me just absurd. My first thought was Barbie Dolls, then next those poor young beauty pageant girls and I wouldn't have even bothered to read the blurb.

The only cover that offended me was the one for The Princess Bride. Not because of the breasts, but because it may well deter people reading such a cracking and enjoyable comedy.  On the other hand, if people buy it for the cover, expecting sex and voodoo goddesses, they will be sadly disappointed. 

Edited by grasshopper
  • 1 year later...

What about familiar book covers or more accurately similiar images? If I see one more book cover featuring a butterfly in a jar I think I will scream. I think they are more annoying and offensive than bad covers that at least are original.

• 2 weeks later...

What about familiar book covers or more accurately similiar images? If I see one more book cover featuring a butterfly in a jar I think I will scream. .

Sure. have a look at these. http://publishingperspectives.com/2014/05/the-mystery-of-cliched-african-book-covers/

Or these: http://scroll.in/article/664347/how-to-design-the-cover-of-a-south-asian-novel-include-a-shy-woman-in-dupatta-the-taj-mangoes

Not to mention these: https://chariswoodward.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/ya-book-covers-4.jpg