Sign in to follow this  
Loveabull

JFK Jr, George and Me

I can't help it...I'm a Kennedy buff. My mother's obsession was the Windsor's mine is America's royal family. Not because I idealize them. Certainly they've weathered enough scandal, tragedy and just plain obnoxious behavior to fill volumes. But I just can't get enough of reading every new tome that comes out.

This is one of the exceptional ones. Matt Berman had formerly landed a job at Elle magazine. He wasn't from a moneyed family or particularly prestigious university. But as a creative designer he was innovative and well-spoken of in publishing circles.

After leaving Elle he was one day invited to a surprise luncheon. The surprise detail was that John F. Kennedy Jr. was launching a new magazine and this was actually an informal job interview. The author accepts the position happily if somewhat apprehensively.

He soon discovers the downsides. Even someone not familiar with the Kennedy family history can identify with the author's frustration. His responsibilities are to create content and organize details of photo shoots. After weeks of phone calls and working endlessly on various projects he is usually met with a blank stare and what becomes a familiar refrain of "Where's John?".

Unlike some authors who have fluffed memoirs from mere proximity to the family, Matt Berman worked closely with JFK Jr. until his death. This is a fascinating look into the years of George Magazine. Funny, well written and absorbing.

My hubby is another Kennedy fanatic - again, not because he 'likes' them just the murky mire. I'll tell him about this, thanks loveabull.