Sign in to follow this  
Viccie

Rivers of London

Peter Grant, a rookie copper with the Met Police, seems to be destined for the Crime Protection Unit and a life of filling in other people's paperwork when he encounters a ghost while guaarding a crime scene and everything changes.  Peter becomes the second person in a two man unit headed up by the Met's only wizzard and is soon an apprentice wizzard, encountering vampires, a very strange housekeeper, a spirit of unrest in London  and some of the water spirits of London - he gets the idea that no matter how tempting it would bee it would be very unwise to go swimming with the nubile Beverly Brook, one of Mother Thames' younger daughters.

Though this book isn't faultless, I felt it seemed to pall a little towards the end, I loved it.  it's written with a very light touch, I thoroughly enjoyed the way he wove London into the story and didn't think there was too much detail at all, and it's very funny in places too.

Off to buy the next in the series...

There was a fairly healthy thread on this book and the sequels that must have disappeared in the Great Disappearance.  I enjoyed them a great deal.  This is a series I wouldn't have known about but for BGO.

I think since I joined there was a thread about this book. Vanished?

Agree Viccie. Ghosts. black police officer, magic.. was fun  

Broken Homes recently came out in paperback which I think is the third in the series?.

I remember discussing this series with Binker and also thought there was a thread before. These books have been mentioned in several other threads and I know there are a few enthusiasts here on BGO, so thank you, Viccie we needed a new thread.  Broken Homes is the fourth in the series and the fifth, called Foxglove Summer,  is due out in September. Gollancz released the cover this week and gave the game away - Peter actually leaves London and the book is set near Hereford.

Edited by grasshopper

I was sure there was a thread because I was certain that's how I found out about the series, but I looked and looked and it isn't there any longer.  I've just ordered the next two in the series and am really looking forward to them.

I just finished Broken Homes and I loved it.  In fact, I thought it was the best one in the series so far.  I was able to follow the action a bit better, which I attribute to the author and not to me.  There was a lot of discussion about architecture, which I find interesting, and since the inspiration for the central building came from real life, I was able to us my Wikipedia link on my tablet to look at pictures of the buildings.  That was fun.  And finally, there was a very dramatic moment at the end that indicates that the next book is going to be great, too.  Cannot wait.

A few of my friends like me are massive fans of this series. All say would translate well to a TV series and/or film.

Will wait for Foxglove Summer on paperback ^^

I have recently read the fifth book in this series, Foxglove Summer, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Set in Worcestershire it was good to have a change from the London scene.  Peter Grant was sent by Nightingale for a little R & R after the trauma he experienced in Broken Homes. He is to help in the investigation of two missing children and it is assumed this will be fairly standard and unlikely that the supernatural is involved. Wrong assumption, of course, and new and unusual supernatural beings make an appearance, possibly giving a few clues about Molly's origins. 

Molly has packed Peter's trunks for his journey with contents and clothes that made me laugh, she seemed to think he was attending a huntin' fishin' weekend at Blandings Castle. There are so many little touches of humour that just pop up in these books and make them such a pleasure and so easy to sit back and enjoy.

Happily Beverley Brook, of whose whole family I very fond, is around the area at the same time to lend assistance to the ladies of the River Teme.  She also provides temptation, distraction and help for Peter. A fascinating development in this particular relationship. :D

Leslie features remotely and occasionally but only to keep that particular sub plot alive, but does not intrude on the story.  A good addition to the series that left me looking forward impatiently to the next book.

I've just finished Foxglove Summer and thought it was terrific.  This series seems to be going from strength to strength, I really like the way he juggles his various themes and in this book has introduced a couple of new intriquing factiors - I'm looking forward to seeing if there is any more of Mellissa in future books.

I love the humour too, it's not laugh out loud funny but raise a smile when you think of hs throwaway remarks funny which is just what I like.  Greatly looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to BGO I've for the first time caught up with Ben Aaronovitch and 'The Rivers of London'.  I'd never have thought I'd go for anything with an element/elements of fantasy but here I am enjoying this novel very much. Cheers!

ETA: Well, I was enjoying very much but about half way through I'm flagging and frankly rather bored.  I shan't give up but perhaps it's a genre I won't get into.  Do I try Chiena Mieville instead?

Edited by chuntzy

I love this series and also have them on audiobook where they are read by the brilliant Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, he works the cynicism and sarcasm very well.

On 23/07/2016 at 19:42, bobblington said:

I love this series and also have them on audiobook where they are read by the brilliant Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, he works the cynicism and sarcasm very well.

Loved the audible of Rivers of London. Kobna H-S was excellent as the narrator.