Sign in to follow this  
Tay

Waging Heavy Peace

Imagine you walk into a bar Like A Hurricane by Neil Young is playing on the jukebox. You sit on a stool at the bar and order a beer. Next to you sits Neil Young and he’s in talkative mode. For the next few hours he tells you the story of his life, it’s not linear just a meandering stroll down his memory’s lane. Growing up in Canada, his relationship with his father, the writer Scott Young. His love of music and the great musicians he’s met and played with. His wife Pegi, his children, his cars and his new project to bring the true sound of music to the MP3 format. Neil Young is a one off. He walks his own line creates the music that feels right to him at the time. Even when his record company sued him for making “unrepresentative albums” of Neil Young’s music he carried on changing direction as the muse directed him. I’m a fan of his music but I’m not too sure if I’d get on with Mr Young but this book really makes you feel like you are sitting chatting with him. This isn’t a polished piece of literature it’s a small window into the mind of one of the great creative forces in modern music.

Although I'm not all that familiar with his music, Young seems a complex character although one wonders if, as I suspect of Morrissey's recent autobiography, he might have a tendency to rewrite history to suit his own purposes. I'm also curious about The Bridge School charity concerts he organizes, which I believe came about to support the needs of a severely handicapped son. Anything like that must have a huge impact on your life even if you are a touring musician and not home much.     

Imagine you walk into a bar Like A Hurricane by Neil Young is playing on the jukebox.

You could leave it just there and I would be a very happy bunny indeed!!

Classic song from a legend who, as you say, walks his own line. I remember a documentary on BBC2 a few years back "Hotel California-The Byrds to The Eagles", about the LA music scene of the late 60s/early 70s. Neil Young featured at various times and an anecdote was recalled by a music writer about Neil Young touring his "Tonight's The Night" album in the UK. The audience sat through the entire new album of unfamiliar songs waiting to hear some of Young's classic material. Young and his band returned to the stage after a brief interval to inform the audience that "we're now going to play a lot of songs that you've heard before" then proceeded to play the whole of the new album again!! Audience in uproar, Young didn't give a flying fig.