Sign in to follow this  
lexpot

Theatre and opera performances

Hello, I am a 21 one years old girl and I really like theatre but unfortunately I never know which theatre performances are good or not so I don’t go as much as I would like to. So do you have advice for me? Moreover I would like to attend an opera performance (I am curious to see what it is like) but I have the same problem… The only one I saw was in Italian (I think) so it would be great if I could see one in English or French (so I can understand the story). Thank you for your advices. 

Hello, I am a 21 one years old girl and I really like theatre but unfortunately I never know which theatre performances are good or not so I don’t go as much as I would like to. So do you have advice for me? Moreover I would like to attend an opera performance (I am curious to see what it is like) but I have the same problem… The only one I saw was in Italian (I think) so it would be great if I could see one in English or French (so I can understand the story). Thank you for your advices. 

I think that most operas are in italian Lexpot. I have never been to an opera although our daughter has been to a few and loved them. I have been to the ballet many times and wonder if an opera could be treated in much the same way, just soak up the music and understand the story by the expression shown on stage rather than through language. If I go to a ballet I have not seen before I always buy a programe and read the story before the ballet starts so that I know what is going on. I find that knowing the story helps greatly with my enjoyment of the ballet.

This is an example of what's happening to make opera accessible to more people, especially useful if you can't get to or afford Covent Garden (for example). 

http://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

When we went to a performance of Tosca at Covent Garden, subtitles in English were available on small screens.  I just let the gorgeous music waft over me.

Newspaper reviews (or online) are handy for plays.  If you live down south a production at the Globe of a Shakespeare play that you know something about might be a 'way in'.  As with operatic productions, the National Theatre does live screenings and so I was able to see a great production of 'King Lear' locally.  If you want a laugh then 'Jeeves and Wooster' now on in the West End can't fail.

Edited by chuntzy

When we went to a performance of Tosca at Covent Garden, subtitles in English were available on small screens.  I just let the gorgeous music waft over me.

I went to see 'La Boheme', by Puccini, with one of my daughters this week. It was our first opera. I know some operatic stories as my mother used to tell them to me as bedtime stories, but I didn't know this one, so we made sure that we had looked the story up on the internet first. We thought there may be a translation in the programme, so bought one just in case, but there wasn't. It didn't matter, though, because there were two small screens (as chintzy described), one each side of the stage. The writing was large and in an easily read font and there was plenty of time to read and watch the performance because phrases were often repeated in the singing, but not on screen. This was much easier than following in a programme (which I have done for other classical music) because the screens moved on at the correct time and nobody got lost.

We didn't know if the screens were how opera is usually translated now or whether this was done by the Lowry Theatre, or was something that 'Opera North' does or had done just for this production.

This facility was not mentioned in the advertisement, ticket or programme and we wondered whether or not it might encourage more people to go if it had been. The theatre was only two-thirds full.

We did enjoy the performance much more than we expected. The plot seemed a too simple but the dramatic and vocal performances were excellent . . . and we were both crying at the end.