I have looked and noticed that there wasn't thread for Conn Igguldens books so I have made one :). I have read all of his Emperor series and injoyed them greatly, starting when Julius Caesar is a child they follow him through his life until after first few years of Augustus's rule. I found them to be interesting as although he does skim over a few years here and there he covers a lot of the important things that happened and gives the characters enough life to keep you interested until the end ( always a good thing). I also have read the first book in his Genghis series which covers the life of Genghis Khan, I was also injoying this series but I started it right after I had finished Emperor so I had not the consecration for it :( but I loved the attention to detail that he put into it and you can tell that he had spent time in Mongolia learning about the culture and the people. It was little things that have you sometimes find are left out or not described properly that Iggulden put in that made you feel like you are seeing how they lived during that time and maked reading the book that more enjoyable.

I read a lot of Historical fiction and I have thought for many years that the epic historical fiction novel was one of the hardest things to get right but Iggulden has managed it with both of his series.

Has anyone else read any of his books and what did you think of them?

I haven't read any of his books, Rincewind. I am a big fan of historical fiction, but for some reason books about Ancient Rome generally don't interest me. I'm much more attracted to books about Ancient Greece. I'm not sure why that is.  :dunno:

ETA: Maybe it has to do with a past life?  :wonder:

Edited by Kerry

LOL for myself I have to at that I didn't read much about Rome until I read the Falco books then it was like 'Oh ROME! What other books can I find?' lol :) . I haven't read many historical fiction about Greece, have you read any good ones lately?

Guest AvidReader

I haven't read his Empire series (Rome) but I have read his books on Genghis Khan which were brilliant. He actually spent a year in Mongolia living with Mongolian nomads finding out about Genghis Khan (who is the father of the nation and still very much 'alive' to Mongolians) as well as the way of life.

I knew that he had and I think that it gives the books an added layer of 'knows what his is talking about-ness' that pulls you into the story because you art sitting there thinking, hmmm I'm sure that's not right... And whatever he didn't get right I am sure that no-one other than someone from Mongolia would notice :)