Small things that please you and bring a smile to your face.

8 hours ago, momac said:

I have very few books except for books I have read over the years and just haven't moved them from their original place.  All my books are on Kindle and at some point I'll run out of Kindle space and then I guess I'll have to get another Kindle.

Amazon keep them online for you in your account.  You can remove them from your Kindle to create space for other books but they will still be in your account at Amazon - I just checked mine.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The sea , viewed from my front garden, is always interesting but occasionally, when the sun is out and there is a south-westerly breeze it is beautiful,  the sea is blue and the sun catching the tips of the little wavelets makes them sparkle like diamonds - that always brings a smile to my face.

And even today, although the wild wind over the last couple of days has churned up the sand making the water cloudy, the sea was green and the sun was lighting the "white horses" as the rough SW wind pushed the waves towards the shore. Just as beautiful, and still made me smile.

How wonderful to be able to see the sea from your front garden, sounds lovely.  Is is too far away to hear the sound of the surf Meg?

1 minute ago, momac said:

Is is too far away to hear the sound of the surf Meg?

Yes, we are almost 500metres away (thank goodness - house insurance is more difficult/expensive below that),  We are also on the landward side of a road running parallel with the coast, so there is some traffic noise for most of the day - but our road goes straight across it, and down to the cliff-top path, so we see a good triangle of sea between the houses. 

We get some very strong winds gusting in from the channel, so I wouldn't want to be any nearer.

• 1 month later...

Hadn't seen the bluejays around for a while and then two of them showed up at the feeder this morning so Dave put out a handful of peanuts in the shell and the birds have stayed around most of the morning picnicking on peanuts.  Lovely to watch them and their brilliant blue and white plumage.  My Monday morning smile.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

For me there is something about bird song that unless your listening you will miss. Most days when I'm walking late afternoon I do my blackbird whistle and I get a 2 second silence and then a cacophony. I whistle a repeat of some of the challenges I get and then I'm belittled by not being able to match the complex songs they sing. Smile every time :)

How nice to get a response to your whistle Clavain, getting in touch with nature is a great way to feel good.  We have a couple of robins who have a charmed sound, and with mating season even the raucous blackbird does his best to sound welcoming to the ladies.

This blackbird here I think they call it a grackle is similar to the blackbird but a bit coarser, more of a squawk than a nice trill.  The red winged blackbird may be different but they are not as common a sight as the grackles that nest in our tall cedar hedge in the Spring.

I finally found a system whereby I can put fat out for the birds and a] not attract pigeons (my father hates them in the garden) and b] not have the crows peck half a fat ball and fly off with it leaving the other half in the garden (see above about pigeons).  This weekend there was not much left in the bottom of the feeder but we were royally entertained by two different kinds of tits hanging from said feeder to get at what was left.  I only refilled the feeder this morning and the starlings are back.  The tits can hold their own but while the starlings can't hang from the bottom of the feeder like they can I left it for them.  It was beautiful to watch. And it seems that the birds a more desperate for fat during the summer than they are during the winter.

It's always enjoyable to watch the birds at the feeder.  I like Mr. And Mrs. Cardinal - they are never far away from each other.  I'm told they mate for life.

We have doves and two or three pigeons who clean up the scattered seed under the feeder helped along by the rabbit family.

• 2 months later...

We have a new type bird feeder which hangs from the awning above our living room window.  Its a tube of all different types of seeds and has attracted some different birds, yesterday there was one I couldn't identify but thought it may have been a female red winged blackbird.  There are lots of chickadees and, of course, many varieties of sparrows.  We enjoy watching the variety and the way they behave, the ones who quarrel mostly are the sparrows.

Madeleine, now if we can only stop the grey squirrel from jumping onto the feeder from the roof we can continue to enjoy the new bird feeder!:mad:  We have moved the feeder twice but he is a crafty one and always finds a way to get to it.

• 1 month later...

A  hummingbird was hovering over the red roof of the seed log feeder hanging from our awning. I haven't seen a hummingbird in many years as we don't have a feeder or luscious red blooms at the front of the house, it was simply the colour that attracted him, and I was delighted to catch a glimpse of this lovely little bird.

This brought a smile to my face, such a treat to see this little guy.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I very much enjoyed reading aloud the last two poems on the poetry thread - Heraclitus and Julius Caesar - to my father this morning. I'm not sure he enjoyed it quite as much, if at all, but indulged me this one time. Cementing my belief that poetry should be read aloud. You've got to get your small pleasures where you can

Thank you Heather and jfp.

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Cementing my belief that poetry should be read aloud.

Every time I hear poetry read out loud on TV or something, I think it's profoundly moving. Then I buy a book of poetry and read it, and... nothing. Hate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Browsing around Amazon, as usual, I found out that not only had Baroness Orczy written The Scarlet Pimpernel but a whole series of The Scarlet Pimpernel, and much more besides. I bought the lot on Kindle. Not short of something to read when the snow comes.

Edited by lunababymoonchild