I was looking through my collection of books the other day looking for something to read and I saw the Falco series by Lindsey Davis that I have and thought to myself I have to finnish the series at some point and then I wondered if there were other books series like them out in the world. If there are I haven't seen them but then I haven't looked so this is try just a random thought lol :).

The books are set in ancient Rome where we follow Falco an ex legionnaire turned private investigator who reluctantly works for the Emperor and who lends the books a quirky humor and a the glass is always half full attitude. They are funny and well written and filled with glimpses into what life was like, the author truly did do a lot of research about that time in history and it shows. So yes it is a classic detective story set in Rome and filled with enough twists and turns and intrigue to keep anyone happy lol, so has anyone read these books or something like them and what did you think of them or the idea of outing something that is a modern idea into an ancient setting?

I love this series,  Rincewind, and couldn't agree with you more, they are funny, clever, interesting and worthwhile if you like Roman history  and a cracking good detective yarn thrown in.   I have most of them on audible and go back from time to time, but unfortunately I don't think they are still available in this format. 

The way Marcus Didius Falco talks to the reader is so natural,  he  is like some cheeky cockney in many ways.  I also enjoy the contrast between the two families, his own and his wife Helena's, with the plebian chaos and  deserter father,  then the patrician family with the black sheep uncle ( discreetly removed!).  There are some other  well drawn and believable characters, like his Vigile friend, Petro and Helena's  brothers.

I also agree with you that the historical research is accurate, the descriptions gives a very clear picture of the whole social set up, and the feeling of how it would be to actually live in Rome at this time,  without in any way  being boring.    I felt as though I was there at  the festivals, the Circus, the Forum and mixing among tradesmen, solders, senators, and all the Romans of every level.

I enjoyed the early ones in and around  Britain and travelling back to Rome across Europe most of all. Some of the later ones were less good, like The Accusers and Scandal Takes a Holiday  which seemed a bit laboured,  but they did bring in the corruption and manipulation going on - crooked politicians and lobbyists for corporate greed  were there in Rome  alright, nothing new under the sun. :yup:

I am glad Lindsey Davis has ended the series as it really was time Marcus Didius had a rest. I have The Ides of April,  first of a new series  called Falco: The New Generation, where Flavia  Albia, Marcus and Helena's adopted daughter, starts in the PI/enforcer  business  on her own.  It takes a little getting used to, am not sure how I feel about it yet..  Should be  interesting from a female PI point of view, but  I liked Falco so much it is hard to warm to a new person doing his work.

Glad to find another Falco fan on BGO. :)

Edited by grasshopper

I didn't know that she had started a new series with his daughter, ha! you learn something new everyday :)! I agree with you it might be hard to put someone else in his place.

I think one of the most enjoyable part of the books is the look into all the intrigues and goings on of the time, and how real and involved the characters are. I think one of the I enjoyed the most was the one were Falco and his father find the statute of Poseidon or whoever lol I bad with remembering my Greek gods :) what is so nice about the books ate the little interesting fast that are hidden in them about Rome.

I haven't read a Falco book for years, but enjoyed those I did. A Roman Philip Marlowe, although Davis doesn't have Chandler's turn of phrase. Then again, who does?

I know of two other authors, Steven Saylor and David Wishart, who have set detective novels in Roman times, but have never read either so can't comment on the quality of their books. 

I found that I quite liked Davis writing style, it was relaxed and easy to read but detailed when in counted :) . I wonder how they sound as audio books because I think they would have to get the right kind of voice for Falco or it would just be odd listening to them.

I found that I quite liked Davis writing style, it was relaxed and easy to read but detailed when in counted :) . I wonder how they sound as audio books because I think they would have to get the right kind of voice for Falco or it would just be odd listening to them.

It seems there are none of the old Falco audio books available anymore which is a great pity. They were read brilliantly by Christian Rodska  who gave Falco exactly the right slightly tough ironic voice you would expect of him, and was the perfect narrator for his character.  There are a couple of dramatisations around but they're dreadful IMO.

When comparing Falco to a cheeky cockney above I think I may have done him an injustice, definitely not the cheery chappy Tommy Steele kind of cockney (hmm wondering if you have ever heard of TS ,Rincewind? :) )  If you can find any of the original audios through a library I don't think you would be disappointed, I hope they will be re-issued sometime.

Lindsey Davis writes a good webpage here and  you may enjoy some of her other stand alone books set in Rome.  I enjoyed The Course of Honour about the secret love affair of Domitian and his mistress Caenis, that was far more than romance, plenty of  political  intrigue.  Lindsey Davis seems to do quite a bit of touring, with talks and  book signing around UK so that may be of interest as well.

LOL I have to admit that I have not heard of Christian Rodska or Tommy Steele (although having looked him up I have heard of one of his songs) :P ! I think Falco is Falco! I think I have the Curse of Honor but I don't know for sure and suspect that it is stuck in with the Falco books :). I have looked at her web page before when looking for a list of the Falco books it wasn't bad and I did see that she had written a few other book but didn't take the time to look at them.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread seems to be mostly about Falco, so I have edited the title and moved it to the "Crime, Thrillers & Mystery - Authors & Books" Forum.

Presuming that the "And Like Books" aspect of the opening post is inviting a general discussion of Mysteries set in the Ancient World I will start a thread for that in the "Crime Thrillers & Mystery -General Discussion" forum

This thread seems to be mostly about Falco, so I have edited the title and moved it to the "Crime, Thrillers & Mystery - Authors & Books" Forum.

Presuming that the "And Like Books" aspect of the opening post is inviting a general discussion of Mysteries set in the Ancient World I will start a thread for that in the "Crime Thrillers & Mystery -General Discussion" forum

Thank you for sorting us out and getting us organised again properly, meg. It is good to have you back, but not just for that reason, you were missed. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Val_Grian
      My pen name is Val Grian and lately I published a new book called "Tramps, Thieves and IT". The main two characters of the novel are a smuggler (Alan) and a homeless guy (George). Once accident makes the rag a rich and vice a versa.

In the book you will read about the adventures of Alan and George. The plot is dynamic and there are a lot of original jokes. As a bonus you will also find out what happened to Hitler in hell and what the Devil and the English Queen have in common.

Please feel free to ask me questions and share your opinions about the book in the comments. Have a nice day!

Here's the book link:
      [link removed, please use our banners at the top/bottom of the page]

Please find a taster of the book below:

Alan pulled off a great deal and made a cool forty thousand. What kind of a deal, you may ask? That was a secret. Even Camilla, Alan's girlfriend, was not aware. But I will tell you, dear reader.
      Hmm…on second thought…
      Okay, this morning Alan smuggled a hundred kilograms of select Bolivian cocaine into Florida, taking advantage of its massive coastline and using his boat. Then the Coast Guard stopped him. He could have panicked, but why? The boobs were not even close to finding the secret compartment.
      Where was it? you wonder. Well, I cannot tell you Alan’s secrets right away. He wouldn’t appreciate that too much and he can act a bit, well, irrational at times. He’s prone to pulling an occasional gun, which he keeps under his driver’s seat. Damn, I shouldn’t have blurted that out.
      To move on with it…
      Alan was driving home, humming “Despacito.” His shirtsleeves were rolled up and he glanced into his rearview mirror, liking that look in his blue eyes that came after success. The tune on satellite was catchy and eventually its upbeat mood had him pressing his right leg down full throttle. He was going faster than usual and almost home. Then, just a few blocks away from his house, a tramp crossed the road right in front of him.
      He slammed on the breaks and stared in disbelief. There the tramp was, slowly dragging a cart full of junk across the road. The guy didn’t even care about the screeching breaks. They should have made him jump. But he just kept crossing the road unperturbed, neglecting the huge Cadillac Escalade that was inches away from him.
          “Get out of my way, loser! Chop-chop!” Alan shouted out his window.
          What did the tramp do? He just grinned and kept on moving slowly. When he finally crossed the street, Alan stomped on the gas pedal, muttering a drawn out “Assshooole.”
      You probably think Alan is not very polite. Well, you are right.
          The situation with the tramp was not a big deal, but somehow Alan’s upbeat mood was gone. Some detail in the look of the bum alerted him, and now even the forty thousand that lined his jacket pockets didn’t make him happy.
      A couple minutes later, Alan was in his driveway. He stared at the small but nice home he rented in Fort Lauderdale, near the ocean.
          He walked in and called out. “Baby, I’m home! I’m hungry, what’s for dinner?”
          “Honey, I’m so glad to see you!” Camilla came out to meet him, wearing a smile she kept for special occasions. “I’ve cleaned up the house and I’m exhausted! Can we eat out?” She lowered her head and batted her eyelashes. Then her finger extended to play with the button on his shirt. “Maybe our favorite seafood restaurant?”
          Camilla was lucky, because Alan had a thing for her. She was an “exception.” “Sure, honey. Just let me change.”
          Alan went to his closet and froze when he looked into it. The joy of seeing Camilla became instant panic. He shouted, “Baby, where is my old suitcase?”
          “I tossed that junky thing out with some other stuff,” she shouted back casually. “We should really get you a new one.”
      “What?” he said. His heart was racing. Why would she throw away a locked suitcase?
      She came to the room. “You okay? There was nothing valuable in there, was there?”
      He couldn’t even speak, let alone breathe.
      Alan might as well have been hit on the head with a sledgehammer.
      Then the anger took hold.
      “Bbbb”, Alan’s voice trembled, gradually gaining power. “B-Bitch! What have you done!”
    • By Viccie
      Lindsey Davies has created a new series for the adoptive daughter of her wisecracking Roman investigator Falco.  Flavia Alba is a widow in her late 20s, loves her family but doesn't want to live with them and has learnt her trade as an informer  off her adoptive father.  Basically if you've enjoyed Falco, espeically the earlier ones, you should enjoy this series.  it's got the same humour and wry look at the world, thesame attention to detail (admittedly which sometimes leans towards info-dumping) and a thoroughly engaging heroine.  I've read three now and they're gettibg better.

Warning though: the description of what happens to foxes at the temple of Ceres in the first book is horrible, you could just miss out the first book though it would be a shame.
    • By Romanike
      The tale of the numinous spheres with twelve faces

It's done! A month later than intended we managed to complete the final volume of the "Romanike" series, altogether including six books. The ebook version is first, printed versions of all six books will successively be uploaded at Createspace within the next two weeks.

The complete series tells about the fate of the House of Iulii in Aquae Mattiacorum during the decline of peace at the Germanic Limes. The Iulii are minor local aristocrats in the Roman province of Germania superior who would be perfectly content if they were left alone and could deal with their private affairs only. But repeatedly they are confronted with the uglier aspects of Big Politics in an age when Western education is fighting an uphill battle against Eastern fundamentalism and economic refugees squeeze through all the borders in huge numbers. The series also tells the story of Belsia Valeriana, the intruder in the House of Iulii and only character who appears in all six books. She grows from a little girl living in poverty into a bold young woman who invests all teeth and claws to fight her way up the social ladder and to stay there.

This is the third and final volume of Corpus Sacrum, "Dawn of the Swordstar": http://www.xinxii.com/corpus-sacrum-iii-p-355428.html
      The second volume, "The Man who Never Dies" was published in April 2014: http://www.xinxii.co...i-p-351939.html
      The first volume, "The Lady of All", was published in December 2013: http://www.xinxii.co...m-p-349108.html

Corpus Sacrum is the initial part of the "Romanike" series that consists of two consecutive trilogies. The second trilogy Opus Gemini, is discussed here:
      http://www.bookgroup...ni-part-1-of-3/
      http://www.bookgroup...-gears-of-fate/
      http://www.bookgroup...ominion-device/

The printed German edition of "Corpus Sacrum" has been published in 2006 by Societätsverlag Frankfurt:
      http://www.amazon.de...s=corpus sacrum

• By steven1995uk
      Hello,

I would like to tell you about my crime novel series called 'Herbie Fox Stories'.

The story is situated on Hawaii in the 1940s and it's based on a senior detective called 'Herbie Fox'.

The next book is finished already and will be released on the 9th of November (its name is 'The Mystery of Bloody River'. Until this date, the price of the ebook is set to 2.99 dollars on Amazon. After this day, it'll be available for 4.99.

I'll be more than happy to discuss with you about my book and I really hope you'll enjoy it in case you decide to buy it!

Have a nice day, everybody! 
    • By Binker
      As a native of South Florida (and really far south--close to Homestead, which is almost to the Keys), I have eagerly consumed everything that Carl Hiaasen has written.  But I haven't thought his last few books were as good as previous ones, by a long shot, and so I didn't jump to get Bad Monkey as quickly as I normally would have.  Finally, a friend of mine said that this one was a lot closer to the earlier books and she's right.  It was a very fun read.

The story follows Yancy, a demoted Key West detective now performing the truly gross and thankless task of restaurant inspector in the Florida Keys, as he manages to get involved in the investigation of the presumed death of a man whose severed arm was hooked by some tourists on a charter fishing trip in the Keys.  Yancy is also tormenting his next-door neighbor, who clearly deserves it for building a code-violating McMansion on his property, thereby interfering with Yancy's ability to view both the sunset and Key deer that used to visit his property.  The action takes place on the Keys, in Miami, and even on Andros Island in the Bahamas and involves an ever-widening cast of characters that at one point became so confusing that I missed that one of them had been murdered.  But it was all good fun, often laugh-out-loud funny, and always entertaining.  I recommend it to anyone.

But I particularly recommend it to people like me, for whom almost every place he names is familiar (except in the Bahamas--we never went there on the theory that on vacation, you should go someplace different from home, so we always went to the mountains).  My father taught at the Rosenstiel School at the University of Miami, my little brother was born at Baptist hospital, and I've kayaked along the Shark River, walked along Cape Sable, and gone swimming at Venetian Pool.  But even if those places are not familiar to you, I think you will still find the book very entertaining.