I'm amazed that there hasn't been anything written so far about Alan Bradley's series set in the 1950's featuring his 11 year old scientific genius of a detective heroine, Flavia de Luce.

Flavia lives in a crumbling mansion with her two elder sisters - with whom she has a very tempestuous relationship and her stamp collecting father, (her mother mysteriously died in a climbing accident when she was a baby) and in the way of all the best country mystery series our heroine can't stop stumbling over bodies and working her way to solving all the mysteries that spring up in front of her.  Naturally everyone, her sisters, adults and in particular the police, do their best to squash her detecting but Flavia, and her trusty bicycle Gladys, contrive to always be there when something happens.

The first in the series, The Sweetness At The Bottom Of The Pie is a bit uncertain in places and has a number of annoying Americanisms (Alan Bradley is Canadian) and inaccuracies, but even an arch-pedant like me wasn't put off because there's a huge amount of jaunty charm and humour in these books that keeps you reading, and they get better and better.

I've just finished number three, A Red Herring Without Mustard, and I loved it.  The sixth book, The Dead In Their Vaulted Arches, is apparently the final book in the series sadly, but it does explain what happened to Falvia's mother.  I've still got three to read though.

If you want realistic gritty crime with all the splatters this series might not be for you, but if you want entertainment give it a go!

I read the first book of the serie a few months ago, I did not know what to expect when I start because I didn't knew the author or the argument of the book; I saw it was some kind of funny detective girl and I got it . It was very entertaining, I like it; and now that you have remembered it to me, I think I will continue with the second of the serie when I finish my current reading ^_^

Edited by Lunitari