tagesmann

Nominations for the 2nd BGO Book Group Read of 2014

The subject is books by Wallace Stegner.

Please give a short (or long) reason why you think we should read your nominated book.

Crossing to Safety for the simple reason I spotted it in Waterstones and bought for the BGO group read.

Not read any of his books but looking forward to whatever is chosen.

Edited by Clavain

Had heard complimentary reviews of his writing but have never read any of his work.

I would like to second Crossing to Safety simply because on browsing Amazon, this is the first title listed.  It is about the Great Depression in America and sounds interesting. 

Edit: Not sure why my font size is this small.  Have altered size and name but to no avail. 

Edited by Barblue

I also would like to read Crossing to Safety because I have it on my shelf and have already read Angle of Repose.

I also would like to read Crossing to Safety because I have it on my shelf and have already read Angle of Repose.

Me too  - I started it a week or two ago after my RL friend said she preferred it to Angle of Repose ( am reading three books concurrently at the moment).

It sounds as though there are several Crossing to Safety  copies around in anticipation.   Must confess I have already read part and was enjoying it ,but deliberately stopped a while back as I found some sadder aspects  a little hard to cope with at the time. I love the writing and look forward  to re-reading  it again with everyone else and finish properly.

I support Crossing to Safety as the next BGO read. I've read Jane Smiley's Intro on Kindle and the book seems old-fashioned enough for me.

I have a copy of Crossing to Safety which I have not read in case it is chosen as the next BGO group read although RG and I may be fighting over it as we only have the one copy!

I also support Crossing to Safety.  I read Angle of Repose last year (along with Dan) and have been very eager to read this book, holding off only because I thought it might be the group read.  

Crossing to Safety is poised on the edge of my bookshelf, awaiting only companions with which to read it :-)

And I've read the introduction and first few pages of CTS on the Kindle preview, so rather than the book being poised on my shelf, my finger is poised over the "buy now" link ;)

Well it does look like a 'one horse race' on this vote, but we usually wait until we officially have notification from Tagesmann that the vote is closed, before we start reading it 'officially'.  Of course, there's nothing to stop any of us reading it now if the urge takes us. :yup:

I'm really, really, really sorry.

I agree let's go with Crossing to Safety.

I'll get the thread set up.

Thanks Tag. 

I don't think we've every had a one book suggestion for our group reads - at least not as far as I remember.  Does this mean we are becoming like-minded as a group?