babelbel

Mini Poll! Next book!

Which book?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which book?

• The Chrysalids - John Wyndham
    • The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
    • The War of the Worlds - H G Wells

Due to a tie between 3 books in our last poll, I am posting a minipoll to determine which one we go for.

The choices are:

The Chrysalids - John Wyndham

The Handmaids Tale - Margaret Atwood

War of the Worlds - H G Wells

I already have a couple of votes:

1 for The Chrysalids

1 for War of the Worlds

I'll take these into account when I look at the final numbers.

The post won't last long so please vote early!

What a surprise . . . two out of the three are ones that have been seen on film! It would probably make a real difference if people read the actual book and saw how different it was from the film . . .but it would be really interesting if the choice was the one that hadn't been a film! :rolleyes:

I, Robot was also a film - was it not? - and it didn't make it to the final three.

I don't remember a film of the Chrysalids, is it an old film - around the time they made The Midwitch Cukoos or The Day of the Triffids?

As for War of the Worlds there have been too many film, tv, radio & music versions to count! - but the original (book) is still the best - in my opinion.

............and you never know - A Handmaid's Tale might be selected- or is that the second film? :confused:

A Handmaid's Tale has been made into a film as well. Haven't seen it though.

Have read the book and enjoyed it.

I have read War of the Worlds and loved it. Went to see the Tom Cruise movie at the weekend, and I loved that as well. Although obviously different from the novel, the fear and dread that you get from the novel was portrayed really well in the film. I would recommend both.

I will be happy, whichever of the books is chosen.

Having recently read War of the Worlds then going to see the new film, I can assure BGOers who haven't done so already, the book is really, really, really good, to the extent that I am raving about it to anyone who stays still long enough to listen, and the film is OK too but if you just see the film you will really miss out! The other choices look good too, but don't discount War of the Worlds on the basis of the recent film!!!

What a surprise . . . two out of the three are ones that have been seen on film! It would probably make a real difference if people read the actual book and saw how different it was from the film . . .but it would be really interesting if the choice was the one that hadn't been a film! :rolleyes:

What a bizarre assumption for a book group! I chose 'War of the Worlds' because I love H G Wells and think the book is an amazing read - as is 'The Time Machine', also made into a film. Haven't seen the recent film of 'War of the Worlds', as it happens, but wouldn't be so arrogant to feel that it reduced the value of the book if I did - the film surely stands on its own as a new work? The interface between literature and film is, I believe, a fascinating and creative one. Admittedly, the Hollywood brand of film can be formulaic and predictable (and I have no idea if this is the case for 'War of the Worlds'), but even this comparison can be interesting, surely?

However, I'd be equally happy with the Atwood or the Wyndham - the latter I read many many years ago and would welcome revisiting it.

Well............given that I already had a couple of votes in..........the final results for this poll is :

The Chrysalids - John Wyndham 5

The Handmaids Tale - Margaret Atwood 5

War of the Worlds - H G Wells 4

........which doesn't really help much.

However, I am going to take an executive decision and nominate our primary book for this selection as :

The Chrysalids - John Wyndham 5

(Belinda never really made clear whether or not she actually voted and I'm going to assume that she didn't but would have liked to.............pathetic reason I know!)

I'm sure Bill will set up a bookshop link and forum when he gets a chance.

Its just one thing after the other at moment!!!!

Anyway - Bill has gone offline and I am going away for a few days.

If anyone has to buy the Chrysalids in order to read it can you please use the links to bookshops at the top of the index page!

If anyone wants to start a discussion on it can you start a thread this forum and I'm sure Bill will move it to the right place when he gets back.

See you all next week!