Grammath

The Ashes

Great result for England today although at one stage I did seriously begin to wonder if Australia might still manage to pull off a win! In the end we won the match pretty convincingly. I just hope that we can keep our new style of play up as we will never beat The Aussies on a regular basis playing conservatively. I fully expect them to come back at us in The Lords test. Great start to The Ashes summer!

Sooo agree with you CP :)

What a win  and after seeing Notts beat Derbyshire in the t20 last night at Trent Bridge.A perfect weekend :)

A Federer win would be the icing on the cake :)

Apologies Meg, maybe Sport should have a category?

Edited by Clavain

Apologies Meg, maybe Sport should have a category?

I would have no problem with that - i could avoid it all together then!

Unfortunately, I believe setting up new sub-forums is not within a moderators remit. I think it would take the superpower of an administrator.

Thanks Clavain et al for re-directing me to this post!

The Aussies have indeed come back after wilting in Ashes 1. I think we could still win the series though, if the openers could stick around a bit longer. Does the captaincy weigh too heavily on Cook? Just occasionally he flashes without conviction and fails. Otherwise the team looks good and confident enough to win.

Not good viewing for England fans today but we knew Australia would up their game after the first test.

Congratulations to Chris Rogers for getting 150 and he's thinking of retiring?

Can see Australia posting a huge score and really test us !.

I would be happy with a draw on this test, our bowlers/fielders don't seem to be able to get anything out of this dead pitch.

Thanks Clavain et al for re-directing me to this post!

The Aussies have indeed come back after wilting in Ashes 1. I think we could still win the series though, if the openers could stick around a bit longer. Does the captaincy weigh too heavily on Cook? Just occasionally he flashes without conviction and fails. Otherwise the team looks good and confident enough to win.

Also optimistic nonsuch on the series :) 

Agree the openers need to prove themselves on this test after Cardiff.

Confidence a little shaken watching today's awesome Australian batting performance. 

Mr HG just popped in my mind :)

This is England v Australia.

Who do you support when you have nationality of both? :) 

After today, I'm praying for a miracle or rain.

Well played Australia and now back to the Proms.

RG and have been out all day today so did not hear any score until we got back into the car at about 4.45pm. By this time we were all out and were just about to take the field for The Aussies second innings. Oh dear! I suspect that it has not been good viewing as an England fan today. I think that this test is over for England already. I just hope we can bounce back for the next test and pray that at some stage our top order begins to play a part.

Not so sure about today though BB. Three five set matches in three days just may be that bit too far for even Andy.

RG and I watchd most of The Ashes Verdict last night. How things have changd in one week. I doubt that Cricket Writers will be much better this morning. I listened to most of the show last Sunday morning and you would have thought that we had already won The Ashes. I wonder if we will have lost them this morning?!

It would appear that normal service has been resumed.  Amazing the difference a week can make in the comments from pundits, commentators etc.  Amazing too how a pitch that the Aussies can make look like a feather-bed when batting can apparently become a mine-field when England batted. 

Not, though, a time for knee-jerk reaction, this was the same team that won in Cardiff last week, but one or two players must be looking over their shoulders right now, just not sure who they will be looking at, as there is not exactly a queue of players behind them.

My fear is the Cardiff result represented a false dawn.

There has been much talk this season about England's newly positive approach and how well this was working against New Zealand. However, the pitches prepared at the SWALEC and at Lord's seem to contradict this, the theory being that they're slow and lifeless to combat the threat of Mitchells Johnson and Starc. However, by doing that you also blunt the effectiveness of Anderson and Broad, and I don't see this as a wise move. Our batting line up still has holes in it, chiefly who should open with Cook, and a couple of players - Ballance, Bell - seem woefully out of form.  

As I said during the 2013-14 series in Australia, if England were truly confident the team would have the self-belief that it could combat hostile fast bowling, as most of their opponents will seek to field at least one out and out quick bowler. However, English tactics suggest we don't have that belief, and I wonder if the team will retreat into its shell and revert to type in the remaining Test matches. If so, I can't see the Ashes changing hands.   

As much as I have loved watching Bell bat over the years even I am beginning to wonder if he is coming to the end of his shelf life as an England batsman! Unfortunately, at the moment at least, neither Lyth nor Ballance are coming off either leaving England in a muddle at the beginning of virtually every batting innings. Although I have never agreed with the constant changing of personnel within the team surely our top order needs adjusting a little if we are to have any further impact on this series. As RG has suggested though not too sure where we go to for possible replacements!

I am prepared to be charitable toward Ballance as he has already made some useful contributions to the England cause in his time in the team. I can also understand the whispers about Bell. I believe the real problem is the opening spot as there has been a succession of partners for Cook - Michael Carberry, Sam Robson, Jonathan Trott and now Lyth - none of whom have been convincing.

Contrast that with Rogers and Warner for the Aussies, who, with their very different styles, provide exactly what you want from your openers, and even if they don't, you have Stephen Smith arriving at the crease first down.  

I think the England selectors will be damned for inaction if they don't make changes and dammed for too hasty if they do.

The No 3 spot has got to be the one to change if they do, Australia have their best batsman in that spot and we we have Gary Ballance with an average of 17.5 for his last 10 innings.Not good enough. Lyth and Bell are not pulling their weight also.

Jonny Bairstow of Yorkshire is a man whose name seems to be on everyone's lips to join the line up. I would throw in our own James Taylor whose just achieved a career best of 291 for Notts and Alex Hales whose name gets chanted every time I watch Notts for exciting attacking batting. Hard to transfer County play to Test level, but if changes are to be made why not give them a chance.

Will be interesting to see what changes if any are announced for Edgbaston.

Bell at Number 3? If he comes off he'll be as ever 'a joy to watch.' Otherwise ... ? Bairstow I like as a player and personality. If he and Joe Root could . . . Too much to hope for I suppose.

Bell at Number 3? If he comes off he'll be as ever 'a joy to watch.' Otherwise ... ? Bairstow I like as a player and personality. If he and Joe Root could . . . Too much to hope for I suppose.

nonsuch I'm imagining a Bairstow century plus and a Bell/Root unstoppable partnership  :)

Back to earth and hoping praying for an England win.Then claim the ashes at Trent Bridge.

Wednesday see you here :)

Edited by Clavain

I am a bit nervous about this one I must admit. England seemd to display aspects of "the bad old days" in the last one when the batting order simply collapsed so not quite sure exactly where the team is at the moment. With Bairstow having been added to the line-up I do feel that we have a promising mix of young dynamic players with a grounding of experienced older players such as Bell and Cook so it seems that the selecters are finally looking to the future and not trying to cling to past glories. Hopefully we can turn the tide back in our favour this week. The thought of another humiliating defeat does not appeal! Fingers crossed!

Another surprising day of cricket today and if Bell had only hung on to his wicket for the rest of the day I would be really pleased. I just hope that we can kick on and score a number of runs tomorrow. If we let Australia back in I think that we could struggle again.

Another surprising day of cricket today and if Bell had only hung on to his wicket for the rest of the day I would be really pleased. I just hope that we can kick on and score a number of runs tomorrow. If we let Australia back in I think that we could struggle again.

No, we can't. Looks like Mitchell Johnson had three Shredded Wheat for breakfast this morning.

Yesterday demonstrated what a great bowler James Anderson can be if conditions are in his favour. As a Middlesex man, I'm also gratified by Steven Finn's successful return to front line Test action. I hope he can sustain it this time. 

I was a bit surprised when I arrived home from work at 6.15pm to see the state that the game was in. Obviously another rather unusual day of test match cricket! I just hope that we can finish the Australian innings off fairly quickley tomorrow morning as I suspect that England will not want to be chasing many on this pitch.

I agree Grammath that it is great to see Steven Finn bounce back. Just think, it was not that long ago that Ashley Giles described him as unselectable. As one of the commentators said this evening, it would now be unthinkable not to select him! I wonder what I will becoming home to tomorrow!

Just as well that Finn has found some form as it looks like we will be without James Anderson.

What a win :) and now a 2-1 lead making next week at my home ground a mouth watering prospect.

Thought Finn highly deserved his Man of The Match award.

Worried about Adam Lyth and we will seriously miss Anderson.

5 day test over in 2 1/2 days. Test cricket becoming like ODI and 20/20 ?