Grammath

The Ashes

My husband goes to work at 4am each day and I often find it hard to go back to sleep so dead pleased this morning to be able to put the cricket on.  Feel a bit as if England let the Aussies off the hook today so hope to wake up to a good England score tomorrow morning.  I do try not to shout at the telly too much but I have never been one of the calmest of fans.  Back in 05 on the last day of the last test I was so useless that my colleagues sent me home from work as they could not stand me any longer.  Do try to curb it a bit but there is just something about the ashes.  Looking forward to a great winter of cricket.

Feel a bit as if England let the Aussies off the hook today so hope to wake up to a good England score tomorrow morning.

I hope you weren't too disappointed, cherrypie.

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I turned the TV on at about 5.30am to see that we were 117 for 9.  contrary to what I previously said about not shouting at the telly I am afraid that I failed miserably.  Not sure if I dare turn the TV on tomorrow morning.  I think that this test may have gone but we have been in this position before - especially abroad - so can only hope that we pull ourselves together and can still win 4-1.  Well you can only hope!

Oops. Not good news for England I fear. But, having one foot in England and the other in Australia, I don't really mind who I bat for. :)

Did not even shout at the telly at 5.30am when I turned it on.  Think the depression must be so bad that I am beyond all that - only joking.  I really must learn to take my sport a little less seriously.  You should see me when Andy Murray plays - do really feel sorry for hubby during the slams. 

Hubby at work again tomorrow so will probably be turning the telly on pretty early again to see what is going on.  Have a real fear that by the time I tune in it will be all over.  Can only hope that we improve for the next one as I do not really fancy watching another Aussie white wash!

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a shower.  I do not think I will bother watching the verdict.  Can only hope we pull our socks up and arrive for the next test as we certainly were not present for this one. 

I agree. Terrible result, ruthlessly exposing that this England side is increasingly frail, especially in the batting department. So sad about Jonathan Trott's illness too.  

I agree. Terrible result, ruthlessly exposing that this England side is increasingly frail, especially in the batting department. So sad about Jonathan Trott's illness too.  

I feel really sorry for Jonathan Trott as not only is his name all over the sports news but seems to be all over the main news too.  Not really what you would want if suffering from a stress related illness.  I must admit that the feeling surrounding this tour seems to be going down the toilet rapidly.  I hope that the "sledging!" calms down a bit and everyone can concentrate on the cricket once again.  I think that it is a bit of a shame that the ashes tours have been placed back to back as tempers can rise between us and the Aussies and this was only going to exacerbate the situation.  Will be interested to see who replaces Trott in the batting line up.

I feel really sorry for Jonathan Trott as not only is his name all over the sports news but seems to be all over the main news too.  Not really what you would want if suffering from a stress related illness.  I must admit that the feeling surrounding this tour seems to be going down the toilet rapidly.  I hope that the "sledging!" calms down a bit and everyone can concentrate on the cricket once again.  I think that it is a bit of a shame that the ashes tours have been placed back to back as tempers can rise between us and the Aussies and this was only going to exacerbate the situation.  Will be interested to see who replaces Trott in the batting line up.

All is not lost quite yet. England came back from 1-0 last winter in India to win the series so they know what needs to be done. The core of the current squad is a close knit unit so I wonder if Trott's problems affected the entire team. 

However, unless Johnson has a similar accident to Glenn McGrath's in 2005, that will need the batsmen to pull their socks up and fast. Johnson was inspired but quality international batters should be able to deal with hostile fast bowling. They lost this match after Broad put us in a good position on the first day.

He and Anderson are carrying the bowling too, Swann had an indifferent game and it would be good if we could settle on a third quick bowler; I think Finn is a better bet than Tremlett but as a Middlesex man I would say that.

As regards Trott, since they're not calling up a replacement my guess is Root will go back up the order and Bairstow will get another chance. 

It's amazing how my Australian colleagues seem to have suddenly discovered they are interested in cricket after all. For the past four years it has merited barely a mention at the water cooler.

It's amazing how my Australian colleagues seem to have suddenly discovered they are interested in cricket after all. For the past four years it has merited barely a mention at the water cooler.

Funny that although having been a cricket fan myself from a very early age I found it a bit rich in 2005 when we won the ashes back for the first time in eighteen years that everyone in England suddenly became cricket fans, and very knowledgeable ones at that!   A bit like the tennis this year.  Poor old Andy Murray has had a bit of a rough time over here but now he has won Wimbledon he is suddenly everyone's favourite son.  I guess that is modern day sport.   Having sat at the cricket in all sorts of weather over the years and having watched England lose to the Aussies repeated 2005 was a very special time for me.  I am not so sure that I will be quite so pleased by the end of this tour.

I feel depressed about the England cricket team's performance ... then I get to wondering how they must be feeling.  This is a very difficult time for them.  Just hope they can recover and give a better account of themselves in the upcoming games.

I stopped watching cricket years ago when I learned about sledging.  This article sums up exactly how I feel. 

Hi Grasshopper,

I was very interested to read the article posted by yourself regarding "sledging" and its effects.  I have to admit as much of a sports fan as I am it is an element of all sport that I abhor.  At the moment I do believe that what is happening in the Ashes has the potential to get really out of hand if it is not so already.  I have always considered "sledging" as a bit of an act rather like that portrayed in a pantomime and honestly believed that in most cases the players got together for a drink and a good laugh afterwards.  At the moment I think that this is far from what is happening.  I am also seriously concerned of the effect that this could be having on our youngsters.  When a captain of a team is heard to make the comments that were made by Michael Clarke and in all but word seems to have got away with it something needs to change.  I cannot believe that the ICC has not stepped in and started to dish out suspensions so that young followers of this great sport can see that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable.  Although the Aussie captain is the main culprit at the moment I do not absolve our players from their part in the behaviour in any way.  I find it a bit cringe worthy at times the way that all players conduct themselves. 

It really is a shame that in all this the cricket at times almost takes second place.  Not a good place to be!

I find it a bit cringe worthy at times the way that all players conduct themselves. 

cherrypie,  thank you for your reply, like you I am particularly upset about the effect it may on the young people who love cricket.    The teams are regarded as role models and yet their overall behaviour both on and off the field is often appalling and yet so publicised.  The last straw was when I learned that a lot of sledging  used against non white teams  was very racial in content. To be honest the Australian and English teams probably deserve each other, but racial abuse is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. 

cherrypie,  thank you for your reply, like you I am particularly upset about the effect it may on the young people who love cricket.    The teams are regarded as role models and yet their overall behaviour both on and off the field is often appalling and yet so publicised.  The last straw was when I learned that a lot of sledging  used against non white teams  was very racial in content. To be honest the Australian and English teams probably deserve each other, but racial abuse is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. 

Hi Grasshopper,

I agree with all you say above.  The sledging between England and Australia is nothing new and as you suggested the two teams really do rather deserve one another.  However when the sledging becomes personal and in some cases racist this really is not acceptable in any way.  It rather worries me when racism in sport, football especially, is reported so widely on the sports news.  I find it difficult to believe that sport has come to this.

I have to admit that I have always thought that cricket and tennis - the two sports that I follow to any great extent - although not immune to this sort of behaviour, were at least a bit more civilised.  The currant Ashes series seems to be proving me wrong.  One mistake that I do think has been made is in having back to back series'.  In my opinion this is never a good idea as feelings have no time to cool and personal no time to change.  I would like to think that the powers that be would learn from this but as sport is so greatly geared by money these days I suspect I will be disappointed in this.

I feel depressed about the England cricket team's performance ... then I get to wondering how they must be feeling.  This is a very difficult time for them.  Just hope they can recover and give a better account of themselves in the upcoming games.

Me too. although I don't see things improving in the short term. If England found Mitchell Johnson a handful in Brisbane and Adelaide, that will be true in spades at Perth, well known as a fast, bouncy wicket and his home turf. They simply have no answer to a bowler who has finally found his mojo and has more or less won the series single handed for Australia.

I expect there to be lots of talk about team transition after the series as the reasons the Ashes have slipped from England's grasp - certainly there isn't a name inked in as Cook's opening partner (although Carberry's batting has been one of the few bright spots for England), to come in first down with Trott's sad departure, to bat at number 6 and as fourth bowler, a duty I guess Bresnan will assume again in Perth.

These are big obstacles, but if Flower and Cook can sort them out I don't envisage the Ashes spending a long time down under; this is a pretty average Australian side in comparison to the one that dominated world cricket in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Me too. although I don't see things improving in the short term. If England found Mitchell Johnson a handful in Brisbane and Adelaide, that will be true in spades at Perth, well known as a fast, bouncy wicket and his home turf. They simply have no answer to a bowler who has finally found his mojo and has more or less won the series single handed for Australia.

I expect there to be lots of talk about team transition after the series as the reasons the Ashes have slipped from England's grasp - certainly there isn't a name inked in as Cook's opening partner (although Carberry's batting has been one of the few bright spots for England), to come in first down with Trott's sad departure, to bat at number 6 and as fourth bowler, a duty I guess Bresnan will assume again in Perth.

These are big obstacles, but if Flower and Cook can sort them out I don't envisage the Ashes spending a long time down under; this is a pretty average Australian side in comparison to the one that dominated world cricket in the 1990s and early 2000s.

I would have to agree about Johnson finally finding his mojo.  I have seen him on many occasions spraying the ball here there and everywhere and being hit to all parts of the ground.  Although he has always been pretty fast he has not always been that accurate about it.  I still cannot help feeling that if only the England batsmen could keep the Aussies out in the field a bit and apply a bit of pressure themselves the cracks might begin to appear here and there.

Although the Aussies are doing well at the moment as is stated above they are not yet the real deal and although this series may be on the way to being lost I do not feel that we are that much behind them.  Hopefully our period of transition will soon pass and we can bounce back pretty quickly although I do agree that several positions are in doubt.

Grammath, I too agree with what you say about Mitchell Johnson finally finding his mojo.  Funnily enough this seems to have coincided with him finding the cut strip!!  My theory is that England's batsmen have become so accustomed when he is bowling to the ball flying six feet either side of them that they have been bamboozled by the ball actually arriving on target.

Well, it's a theory!

Grammath, I too agree with what you say about Mitchell Johnson finally finding his mojo.  Funnily enough this seems to have coincided with him finding the cut strip!!  My theory is that England's batsmen have become so accustomed when he is bowling to the ball flying six feet either side of them that they have been bamboozled by the ball actually arriving on target.

Well, it's a theory!

It's as good as any, RG. He might well be the Aussie version of Steve Harmison, in which case at some point he will start spraying it around again.  

It's as good as any, RG. He might well be the Aussie version of Steve Harmison, in which case at some point he will start spraying it around again.  

Hi Grammath,

Totally agree about Steve Harmison.  He did seem to find a bit of a purple patch for a season or two with a lot of dross on either side.  I can only hope that Mitchell Johnson looses his mojo sooner rather than later!

What I would like to know is......how come England can take five Aussie wickets while I'm asleep, then once I'm awake the Aussies put on a hundred-plus partnership and we've only taken one wicket in about three and half hours!!

Oh dear!. Turned on this morning just as we had lost our second wicket. Once again we seem to have thrown away a potential start and now that we are four wickets down we are struggling again. I do wonder if Kevin Pieterson has had his best days. I know that he has always been considered a match turner but he does not seem to coming off much these days. If Bell fails again I think the ashes are really up for this series at least.