Grammath

The Ashes

Agreed, great stuff, but the game is safe now. Australia aren't good enough to chase down 150 let alone 250 or 300 - not with Swann bowling against them on that pitch - I think he'll have a field day tomorrow.

Re Broad's edge today - The debate will rage across all the media I suppose, but really, what a load of old bollocks.

The size of the nick is completely irrelevant yet because it was a big one, and the umpire's decision was so poor, Broad is getting a higher level of stick than if it had been a slight snick.

The vast majority of cricketers at all levels stopped walking many years ago. Aggers, I love you, but get over yourself you old fart.

Oh, and whilst on the subject of TMS, when the HELL are they going to send Blowers out to the long grass?

He's about 2 seconds behind the game, can barely see what's happening and gets everyone's name wrong.

Embarrassing really - and he deserves NOT to become an embarrassment.

After Anderson's wonderful ball that bowled Clarke he came out with the immortal line "oh, and he's caught behind, he's caught behind!" - or some such. (2nd hand that, didn't hear it myself.)

What a start to the series! An advertisement for all that is great about Test cricket. I can't remember a match where fortunes have seesawed like they have in this one for a very long time.
Me neither. If I were a conspiracy theorist :wonder: (as if) I might think that it was all a put-up-job to raise awareness and highlight the fact that the game of cricket is so exciting.

Well, I do like to be a little bullish in my comments, don't I?

Phew, that was a bit closer than I was expecting.

Couldn't actually see the last day as my son was swimming in Portsmouth but, despite totally rubbish reception inside the building I managed to follow it until lunch on Cricinfo and 5Live, until battery ran out so I could only get the result about half hour after it happened....!

C'est la vie. There's a time when that would have left me boiling with frustration, but age seems to have brought greater mellowness and a certain acceptance of life's little frustrations.

Well played Australia - we are always at our most vulnerable in the 1st game of a series it seems and I do still feel we will step up and win the series comfortably but, top order apart, they look to be a decent developing team with some balls, (and the game's not much without them).

How ironic that the game ended on a reviewed decision though. Seemed the only way that test could end after the previous four days.

The next test will be interesting. I see that we are keeping the same squad. Hope Bresnan or Onions get a go - I thought Finn was a bit expensive.

England have simply got to learn how to get out tail-enders!!

Proper edge of the seat stuff, who says test cricket is boring? Very reminiscent of Edgbaston eight years ago. Let's hope for another series as exciting as that one.

How ironic that the game ended on a reviewed decision though. Seemed the only way that test could end after the previous four days.

The next test will be interesting. I see that we are keeping the same squad. Hope Bresnan or Onions get a go - I thought Finn was a bit expensive.

England have simply got to learn how to get out tail-enders!!

I agree, although Ashton Agar either has a brilliant career ahead of him much higher up the order, or was the brightest of flashes in the pan.

I think the euphoria of winning this match by such a narrow margin (both the scoreline and Haddin's faint edge to the 'keeper) will cover up a few chinks in the English armour. This is the weakest Australian team to come over here for many years but, much to the game as a whole's benefit, they certainly gave us a hugely entertaining run for our money, and set up the series very nicely.

As a Middlesex man, I'm a great fan of Finn's, but the Aussies seem to be his bogey team - I don't recall him having contributed much to the last couple of Ashes series either, and he's performed much better against stronger South African and Indian sides. He might be due a rest, although I'd give him a final chance at his home ground before turning to someone else, presumably Bresnan (overrated, in my book) rather than Onions or Chris Tremlett.

Similarly, at the start of the match there was much talk about how the pitch had been prepared to help Graeme Swann to exploit the Aussies' vulnerability against spin, but, as is often the case, with bowling star turns, Anderson's match winning figures disguise Swann's relatively modest contribution. Maybe he's not back at his best after his operation earlier this year, but he certainly didn't look like the difference between the two sides, as pundits predicted he would be before the series began.

We've been away for a quiet w/e, taking a pile of books and a long wave radio :D

Mr meg drew my attention to Agar's innings, listening to TMS in the car on the drive to our destination, and then it was books in the shade for me and the Ashes in the sun for Mr meg until Sunday lunchtime.

We set off to find a place for lunch at just after 12.30 - and just kept driving, passing various country pubs, but not daring to stop in case we missed the end of the match. Eventually the cricket stopped for lunch, and so did we, taking it in turns to return to the car to find out if anything had happened. It was Mr meg who was listening at the end - and what a shame it wasn't a nice tidy finish to such a tight final day!

I'd sort of lost interest in cricket in recent years,but I'm quite looking forward to the next Test. :)

An interesting reaction to the result here in Australia.

First off, Australia was expected to lose heavily. I understand this is not a normal situation for Australia going into a test series, but this is one where the team is seen to be in disarray and competing against one of the best teams of recent years. So, the end result should have had much to cheer. Yes, Ashton Agar had a good knock with the bat in the first innings, but more significant was that the unfancied Australians fought tooth and nail. That is worth celebrating.

Ashton Agar did have a remarkable debut and did get a world record for a No 11 in a test side. But, he was selected to be a bowler. His bowling was not great but might mature. I don't think he will be selected as a batsman, and the history of middling bowlers selected because they could bat a bit is not great. I keep having visions of Derek Pringle. Genuine all rounders - i.e. those whose batting or bowling is good enough to justify selection in its own right but are also acceptable test quality in the other discipline - are very rare. It would be exciting if Agar could become one, but he's got a long way to go first.

The really interesting reaction, though, is the whinging. Australia lost because England cheated; because of the umpires; because of a technicality. Anything, really, other than being beaten by a better side. That's a shame - cricket was supposed to be the sport where it was acceptable to applaud better opponents. Goodness knows, England have had plenty of practice at it. 

The biggest ever winning margin in Test cricket (not by an innings +) is 675 runs.

Doubt that'll be under threat here but there's 3 more games to go in this series....

The biggest ever winning margin in Test cricket (not by an innings +) is 675 runs.

Doubt that'll be under threat here but there's 3 more games to go in this series....

That would be very difficult to replicate. You'd need the winning side to bat first, and most sides batting first would declare by the time they reached 600ish. So the winning side would need to bat twice. For a winning margin of 675, that would mean not enforcing a follow on despite having skittled out the opposing team very cheaply. It would mean batting to post a mammoth lead by the end of the second innings with time running out (in the 1928 Test, Australia's second innings started late on Day 4 and a luckier side might have batted through the final day - also noteworthy that Australia had one top order batsman absent hurt in their first innings and two top order batsmen absent hurt in their second).

My point is that it would take such a perfect storm to create the conditions for such a high winning margin that I doubt we would ever live to see it. Then again, I never expected to see Hanif Mohammad's record broken.

Edited by MisterHobgoblin

The question is starting to be: what can the Australians do to make this series more competitive? There is talk of fast tracking the newly qualified legspinner Fawad Ahmed, but their attack is functioning reasonably well - lest we forget, they twice had England three down for not much in this Test.  Michael Clarke pointed out in post-match interviews that all of the top seven had scored half centuries this series, but none are converting these starts into hundreds.

And those poor starts suggest England aren't playing vastly superior cricket. Cook and Pietersen's contributions with the bat have been modest, for example. 

I like the idea, suggested in a comment on Cricinfo, that the Aussies become the first team to hire a DRS coach. That might be the way forward. 

That would be very difficult to replicate. You'd need the winning side to bat first, and most sides batting first would declare by the time they reached 600ish. So the winning side would need to bat twice. For a winning margin of 675, that would mean not enforcing a follow on despite having skittled out the opposing team very cheaply. It would mean batting to post a mammoth lead by the end of the second innings with time running out (in the 1928 Test, Australia's second innings started late on Day 4 and a luckier side might have batted through the final day - also noteworthy that Australia had one top order batsman absent hurt in their first innings and two top order batsmen absent hurt in their second).

My point is that it would take such a perfect storm to create the conditions for such a high winning margin that I doubt we would ever live to see it. Then again, I never expected to see Hanif Mohammad's record broken.

Yep, I agree with all that - it'll never happen.

I was being more than a little TIC, and suspect (without checking) that it was a 6 day or maybe even timeless test!

Did anyone else notice that during the presentation ceremony after today's fifth test, one member of the presentation team shook hands with everyone except the three Asian officials?

No, but I did think that Warner and Root appeared not to shake.

Reported in the Australian press - the English players celebrated winning the Ashes inappropriately by urinating on the pitch.

Joking aside, quite apart from the whinging Aussies there seems to be little more than grudging admiration for England's victory this time around; there won't be parades through London streets this time. It was certainly a much less pretty, and much less convincing victory than 2005, 2009 or 2010-11.  

.................................. whinging Aussies........................

Good serve, I have no time for tizzy fits and I hate to think what Shane Warne may have done on a cricket pitch so no one need be holier-than-thou. :naughty:

It's back! Good first day for England in Brisbane thanks to Stuart Broad. All I need to do now is persuade my better half to let me listen to TMS in bed.