Grammath

The Ashes

I thought I'd check to see if I was the only BGOer remotely interested in and excited by the upcoming Ashes contest.

My head says England won't win, but my heart thinks this time around we will at least give the Aussies a run for their money. I think a final scoreline of 2-2 is the best we can hope for.

The fragility of the English top order during the one dayers isn't encouraging for the Tests. Their bowling unit is still the best in the world plus our lot haven't faced Warne yet. Warne may not be the bowler he once was but I reckon he still has the hoodoo over most English batsman.

Going into the first Test with such an inexperienced middle order (Bell, Pietersen) seems like a gamble; I hope it pays off as Thorpe has the kind of obstinate sticking power that I'd have thought would be key to our success. Hopefully Vaughan will pick up where he left off from the last series down under when he filled his boots.

I also can't see the English bowlers causing much trouble for the Aussie batsmen. Am I alone in thinking Harmison is over-rated? The weather forecast says conditions won't suit Hoggard, and I doubt Hayden, Gilchrist et al will be quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing Ashley Giles.

Despite all the odds apparently being stacked against us, I still think that if all of the England team, especially Freddie, play in the way they are capable of doing, we will give them a fright. I know I'm going to be glued to it, will you?

I do love a bit of cricket, though I don't keep up with it like I should do, so I'm not too sure what our form is going into it. Didn't Bangladesh beat Australia in a one-dayer recently? Surely that has to give us some hope, if Bangladesh can beat them we definitely can! Not to say that we will...

Much as really hope that we do well, I'm afraid I won't be following it very closely. I spend a fair bit of time watching football from August to May, I think my family deserve a break!

I shall definitely be watching. Summer just wouldn’t be summer without the Ashes. Nor indeed would it have the same appeal without the sight of Glenn McGrath being hit back over the pavilion for six successive sixes. (Unlikely, but we can but hope.) At the point of me typing this, England are in a bit of trouble with McGrath already having taken 5 wickets in his first 8 overs. Somehow I think talk of him being over the hill has been much exaggerated. :eek:

Too right, excalibur, a crackerjack of a first day, even if England are on the back foot. The merciless teasing of my office's resident Australian this morning has proved to be very premature :( .

As you know, Grammath, I am a big cricket fan, and have been waiting for this day for about nine months. I was in a meeting this morning with the TV on in the background, and I had to keep mentioning that we'd got another wicket every few minutes.

However, there is never any point getting too excited playing against Australia. They either dominate from the very start, or they let their opponents get ahead and then pulverise them in the 2nd innings. Glenn McGrath is clearly not human. How else does he manage to time his serious injuries between Ashes series? His opening spell was phenomenal and deadly. We're still in it, but the day McGrath announces his retirement from Test cricket, I will be cracking open a bottle of champagne; perhaps Shane Warne could announce his on the same day and we could have a double celebration.

I'm a huge cricket fan, but don't get much opportunity to watch these days unfortunately. Cricinfo.com was the closest I got to watching it today.

A few boundaries from Pietersen in the morning, with staunch support from the tailenders, (something we've been pretty good at in recent times) could take us close enough to 190 to still be very much in the match.

(If Australia had made 400 and we were all out for 360 we'd think there was nothing much in it.)

(If Australia had made 400 and we were all out for 360 we'd think there was nothing much in it.)

C'mon Aussie come on, Come on!,

C'mon Aussie come on, Come on!!

(ad nauseam)

I'm a big TMS fan, but as only one radio in the house gets R4 on long wave I only listen when cooking or washing up.

I say 'listen', but when my husband asks what the score is I never know! :o

I'm a big TMS fan, but as only one radio in the house gets R4 on long wave I only listen when cooking or washing up.

I say 'listen', but when my husband asks what the score is I never know! :o

The fun of TMS is the entertainment, not to tell you the score :D. You never get told about pigeons at long off or a bus heading down the road behind the ground on the TV commentary :)

I consume a fair amount of my cricket through TMS as well, although being office bound during the day I too am restricted to following Cricinfo. I find Blowers, Aggers and co. hugely entertaining.

I'm annoyed at feeling I will have to finally take the Murdoch shilling and get Sky in order to watch any cricket next year. I think C4 has done a pretty good job with its TV coverage, and summer just wouldn't be summer without Richie Benaud's dulcet tones in it.

Despite a bit of a rally this morning, I don't reckon we've put on enough to still be in with a shout for this match. Looks like the Aussies will maintain their enviable record at HQ :( .

Early days for that pessimism Grammath.

It isn't as though we will be batting on an old worn out pitch chasing whatever target they set us, cos the game hasn't gone on long enough. They are 3 down now, so if we have to get 300, with the new balls we have, that could be gettable.

Someone in the top 4 is due a big innings....

AJR, that's not really how cricket works chap.

We are 35 behind on 1st innings, a mere handful of runs, albeit more than our 1st 5 wickets contributed yesterday :o , but we are not losing badly, that cannot be said to happen until the final innings of a game of cricket.

Now Australia may set us 350 to win, and when we are 55-8 in our 2nd innings, then the term "losing badly" might be fair comment, but until approximately then the term does not apply in this sport.

This isn't football you know!!

Very solid. When I was your age I used to sit in front of the television all day long when the Test Matches were being played (well, from 11am to 6.30pm as it was in those days).

When the 40 over matches were on TV on a Sunday afternoon I used to keep score in a book specially designed for the purpose. Have you ever "scored" - if you see what I mean?

I am hoping that I can semi-retire from work in a few years time and I would love to be able to spend a decent number of days going to cricket matches.

When I was a lad my family used to go to a day at a County game about once a year. I loved it, even though at aged 7 to 10 I seem to remember I found it a long long day and wanted to go home after lunch! Have you ever been to a match AJR?

Blimey, RR, your youth sounds a bit like mine!

I only hope you're right I'm being overly pessimistic, but as I said when I started this thread, I think our top order looks fragile at the moment, as McGrath so ruthlessly exposed last night. Too many times during the ODIs were we bailed out by Geraint Jones, Collingwood or Pietersen and the same happened in the first innings here.

From what I can see on cricinfo it looks as if our attack has put in a pretty ordinary performance this afternoon.

I guess the weather could be a factor over the weekend, the forecast doesn't look promising.

Must stop now, I think I'm in danger of becoming as boring as all the Big Bro' fanatics on their thread :P .