tagesmann

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Thoughts

I have opened up a few threads on the individual stories, to give the quicker readers a start.

I think that is a great idea. I thought of doing that...

but didn't...

cherrypie was itching to start and I didn't want her enthusiasm to go to waste :)

Megustaleer

I saw that you had opened some threads for the individual stories and, as I have read three of those, could not contain my enthusiasm any longer!! I have been a member for only two weeks or so, and I am really excited to have found the group read and be able to participate in it. I cannot tell you how glad I am to have found this site, as having tried a couple of local book groups with little success, this is suiting me down to the ground. Such helpful and friendly members, I have had a lot of help with questions about navigating the site, and what it has to offer, plus a lot of fun reading and submitting posts.

Hi cherrypie,

I feel a bit ashamed that I haven't kept this thread as up to date as I should have. At the same time it is great that we have such an enthusiastic new member. So thank you, welcome and please keep posting.  :flowers:

Whenever we go to visit the Kimbell Art Museum in Ft. Worth, I always duck into the permanent collection because, I tell my kids, it's my chance to visit old friends.  That's how I feel about these Sherlock Holmes stories.  I read all of the stories and books multiple times when I was a young teen into my high school years.  I've enjoy reading the "new" stories (and have the Horowitz one now on my list of books to read) and I enjoy watching the dramatizations.  So I am very much enjoying this group read.   

My thought is a question - has everyone who has seen SH on TV been happy with the choice of actor? Reason I ask is that with SH now on BBC again, and with us doing this group read, I cannot but admit that with Cumberbatch in mind as I read these tales, I am getting a little extra 'kick' out of them. :D

Edited to correct typo

Edited by Ting Mikyunyu

Cumberbatch is doing a fine job as the modern Holmes, but given that the TV series is meant to be an update of the original stories, there inevitably have to be some changes to his character to move with the times.

Serious Holmesians generally regard Jeremy Brett's portrayal in the 1980s ITV series as being most faithful to Conan Doyle's vision. 

Yes, Jeremy Brett is my favorite.  But I enjoy the Cumberbatch series and even "Elementary," mostly (didn't like what they did with Irene Adler at all).  Someone talked about Watson being Holmes's only friend and the "Elementary" series has some of that in it.  They are working with the NY police and Holmes likes the captain and one officer named "Bell" and he calls all the other officers "not Bell," which seems consistent with Holmes to me.  

I like Benedict Cumberbatch in anything so can't comment there :wub: and I'm enjoying Elementary as well. 

As for the definitive portrayal of Holmes, I  find it difficult to to say.  I like Jeremy Brett's interpretation but then I rather like Basil Rathbone's too.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

A bit off topic but didn't know where else to post - just a bit of an irrelevance anyway. Discovered we had an unopened DVD of Sherlock Holmes stories and was excited thinking the Adventures would be on it. No such luck - 19 episodes none of which are the ones in the book. The actors are Ronald Howard and H. Marion Crawford. Drat! 

(I had already posted this on the Holmes and Watson thread.)

I like Benedict Cumberbatch in anything so can't comment there :wub: and I'm enjoying Elementary as well. 

As for the definitive prtrayal of Holmes, I  find it difficult to to say.  I like Jeremy Brett's interpretation but then I rather like Basil Rathbone's too.

Have just checked the top ten SHs and Jeremy Brett is No 1 (gosh, in the photo he could be a brother to Cumberbatch!), Basil Rathbone is No 2. Our Benedict, Luna is No 5 :huh: . Some of the others seemed to be odd choices.

Jeremy Brett is my number one version of Holmes. I did think at the time that the role had undermined his health, but It seems that his health, physical & mental, were pretty poor and affected his portrayal rather than the other way round

It was clear at the end of his run that Jeremy Brett was very ill, but I agree that his illnesses did not seem to be from his portrayal of Holmes.  Apparently Edward Hardwicke (the second of the two Watsons) became one of his best friends and took care of him many of the times when he needed taking care of.  I have heard that both of them (Brett and Hardwicke) were beloved by everyone on the set and it was generally a very happy place to work.  I may need to watch these again sometime.  I'm afraid that I only have them on VHS and I'm not sure our VHS player even works anymore.  I will have to see if they are on Netflix.

I'm now trying to work out a couple of chronological issues - and I can't.  According to what I can discover, the sequence of writing the stories, and the sequence of when they took place are different.   :scratchhe Also, in the sequence of stories in the Adventures, "A Case of Identity" should not be the second story, because it takes place well after many of the others.  :scratchhe  Also, sometimes Watson is married and sometimes he isn't. Which is a pity, because it messes with his character development. Is there any reason for this lack of continuity, by both Conan Doyle and the publisher?

As for the definitive prtrayal of Holmes, I  find it difficult to to say.  I like Jeremy Brett's interpretation but then I rather like Basil Rathbone's too.

Rathbone is generally credited with introducing elements (the deerstalker in particular) that many associate with Holmes but Conan Doyle made no reference to, so some purists get a bit sniffy about him.

I always think of Holmes rather a gaunt figure, which Brett wasn't especially, but otherwise he is my vision of Holmes.   

I'm now trying to work out a couple of chronological issues - and I can't.  According to what I can discover, the sequence of writing the stories, and the sequence of when they took place are different.   :scratchhe Also, in the sequence of stories in the Adventures, "A Case of Identity" should not be the second story, because it takes place well after many of the others.  :scratchhe  Also, sometimes Watson is married and sometimes he isn't. Which is a pity, because it messes with his character development. Is there any reason for this lack of continuity, by both Conan Doyle and the publisher?

I've often wondered about this too. I don't know if the stories are sequenced in the collections in order of original publication in the Strand magazine or not, which might account for the inconsistencies. In addition, Conan Doyle notoriously grew to loathe his most famous creations and often dashed the stories off, with, I suspect, little regard for whether they were internally consistent or not.

The way Watson narrates them, however, suggests he is reminiscing rather than reporting; I've always liked his little asides about other cases Holmes takes on which never actually make it into stories. If you look at Holmes's adventures from this perspective then there is no reason to suppose the cases are recounted in chronological order.  

I've often wondered about this too. I don't know if the stories are sequenced in the collections in order of original publication in the Strand magazine or not, which might account for the inconsistencies. In addition, Conan Doyle notoriously grew to loathe his most famous creations and often dashed the stories off, with, I suspect, little regard for whether they were internally consistent or not.

The way Watson narrates them, however, suggests he is reminiscing rather than reporting; I've always liked his little asides about other cases Holmes takes on which never actually make it into stories. If you look at Holmes's adventures from this perspective then there is no reason to suppose the cases are recounted in chronological order.  

Glad to know I'm not being dumb here, Grammath.  Thank you.

This website tries to do a chronology. It is useful. http://www.sherlockpeoria.net/Who_is_Sherlock/SherlockTimeline.html

And your post has just popped up Tagesmann, so I'll check it out immediately. Thanks.

That's a useful site, tag It must have taken a real Holmes nerd (or several) to try and sort the stories into a chronology of cases undertaken, when Conan Doyle didn't seem to be bothered about a consecutive time line.

The first six stories in the book we are reading were the first ones published, in the Strand Magazine July - December 1891. I presume the other six were in the magazines from January to June 1892, but I don't have that volume.

Whatever Basil Rathbone might have introduced to our image of Sherlock Holmes, he can't take credit for the deerstalker hat. That was down to Sidney Paget, who did the illustrations for the original stories.

Holmes and Watson in The Boscombe Valley Mystery  as portrayed by Paget in 1891

As I am reading the stories on my Kindle - such a modern idea - it is very nice to see one of the old drawings of the famous pair. 

As I am reading the stories on my Kindle - such a modern idea - it is very nice to see one of the old drawings of the famous pair. 

scroll down that page and there are more - but they are a bit on the small size. There will more to be found with a more extensive search of the web

scroll down that page and there are more - but they are a bit on the small size. There will more to be found with a more extensive search of the web

I am not too good on the computer but am improving.  Managed to view the pictures as you suggested from your link.  They really are great to see.  Holmes is pretty much as I have always imagined him to be (television productions aside) although Watson not so.  For some reason I always imagined him to be considerably smaller than Holmes which the drawings do not seem to suggest.  No reason for this just the way I have imagined him I guess. 

Many of the drawings depict the two showing the real friendship existing between them.  A real treat to see. 

Thank-you