Vote for the next BGO Book Group Read  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your choice

• The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
    • The Adventure of The Speckled Band
    • Then Hound of the Baskervilles
    • The House of Silk

The nominations are:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)

Set against the foggy, mysterious backdrops of London and the English countryside, these are the first twelve stories ever published to feature Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. They first appeared as stories in the Strand Magazine and feature some of his most famous and enjoyable cases, including 'A Scandal in Bohemia', 'The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle' and 'The Red-headed League'.

The Adventure of the Speckled Band (1892)

One of the 56 Sherlock Holmes short stories. It is the eighth of the twelve stories collected in "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". It is one of four Sherlock Holmes stories that can be classified as a locked room mystery. Doyle later revealed that he thought this was his best Holmes story.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1901-2)

Set largely on Dartmoor, it tells the story of an attempted murder inspired and a hound of supernatural origin. This was the first appearance of Holmes since his intended death and the success of the book led to the character's eventual revival.

The House of Silk (2012)

By Anthony Horowitz. The first book in a new series of Sherlock Holmes adventures. It is November 1890 and London is gripped by a merciless winter. Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson are enjoying tea by the fire when an agitated gentleman arrives unannounced at 221b Baker Street. He begs Holmes for help, telling the unnerving story of a scar-faced man with piercing eyes who has stalked him in recent weeks. Intrigued, Holmes and Watson find themselves swiftly drawn into a series of puzzling and sinister events, stretching from the gas-lit streets of London to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston and the mysterious 'House of Silk' . . .

The closing date for the poll is 13 November. The old forum used to display the date but no longer. Apologies to SeaBiscuit and everyone else.

Hello Tagesmann

As a new member of only two weeks or so I am still finding my way around the BGO site and what it has to offer, so I am not too clued up on how a Group Read pans out from now. Obviously the vote has thrown up The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, so how does a discussion thread start up for those taking part in the group read? Do you start it, or is it simply down to the first person who decides to throw their hat into the ring!

Will be interested to learn how a group read tends to progress.

Thanks, Cherrypie

Usually tagesmann opens a new sub-forum after a couple of weeks, which give people time to get hold of the book and read it before the quicker ones start posting. It depends on the books - several people already have the Holmes stories, and they are not difficult to get hold of so it might be sooner rather than later this time.

May i suggest that when the sub-forum is opened the individual stories each get their own thread? then we can add to them in whatever order we read them (because i will be reading the same stories, but from the Strand Magazine, and not the actual book "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"

tag - according to post 2 above the poll doesn't end for another two days :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well spotted.

I'm having a funny week.  :dunce:

So, get those last-minute votes in folks. :sorry:  

Has anyone started on Sherlock Holmes yet? Maybe I'm jumping the gun, has it been declared??

Edited by Cassie

, has it been declared??

Not in so many words, or at least not since the stated deadline. It was tagesmann who jumped the gun, by just  by a few days, but nothing has changed since then, so it must be Holmes

I bought my copy today via Amazon.

I won't do the usual "buy it here" link because there are so may .

Mine is a Kindle copy branded after the "Sherlock" tv series with an iontorduction by Mark Gatiss.

Reserved a copy from the library - will get it in day or two.

Found a copy at a library about 40 miles from my home. Fortunately I'm such a bibliophile I have a card there too:-)

Downloaded onto my Kindle and read the first two stories.  Will say nothing as yet as no-one else seems to have started.  As I am a new member and have not taken part in a group read before I am interested to see how matters progress.  One thing I do wonder however is as this is a collection of short stories and not an actual novel maybe comments need to be made as each story is read as it could be a bit confusing otherwise.  Is this how it works anyway when the subject of the group read is a collection of stories. 

Have read the four Sherlock Holmes novels and thoroughly enjoyed.  Find Conan Doyle very easy to read.  Am enjoying the stories so far.

Megustaleer has started threads for some of the stories in "The Adventures" so I guess we can post in the applicable one once we have read each story?  Am wondering how you post about a short story without getting into 'spoiler' territory as we all read at different speeds etc.  Guess I'll just wait and see - I don't have the book yet from the library, will probably get it sometime this week. :hmm:

Edited by momac

Read and finished. Just wondering what to do now ... :confused:

I have a few general questions of the period, about things that I think may not be 'googleable'. Can I ask them here? :hmm:

Read and finished. Just wondering what to do now ... :confused:

I have a few general questions of the period, about things that I think may not be 'googleable'. Can I ask them here? :hmm:

Not here - now the voting has finished this thread will be closed.

I think that the thread "Thoughts" in the book's sub-forum would be the best place to ask general/tangential questions