David

megustaleer

Oh, Hazel - what terrible news.  Everyone has been so eloquent, as David always was, in describing how they remember him.  I've been a (very) irregular poster over the last couple of years, but David's wit, kindness and ability to engage with everyone marked him out as someone I often thought about.  Many's the time I hear his 'voice' while reading or watching a film.  Blimey, he was a special guy wasn't he.  

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still struggling with the whole concept of this. I'm so glad that JFP and Grammath came up with such eloquent tributes that leaves me only with the need to agree because I really cannot find the words. I can say that it's a terrible, terrible loss to bear and that I'm also glad that we are here to support each other.

What David created is unique and precious, like himself.

I read everyone's lovely comments earlier and have been thinking about them (and him) this morning.  They have reminded me of a piece that David Coulthard wrote following Michael Schumacher's recent skiing accident where he said he hoped that Michael recovered so that he could read all of the nice things people were saying about him.  Sadly, this won't happen for David, but it's made me think that I should make more of an effort to tell my loved ones how much I value them while I am still able to do so.

I read everyone's lovely comments earlier and have been thinking about them (and him) this morning.  They have reminded me of a piece that David Coulthard wrote following Michael Schumacher's recent skiing accident where he said he hoped that Michael recovered so that he could read all of the nice things people were saying about him.  Sadly, this won't happen for David, but it's made me think that I should make more of an effort to tell my loved ones how much I value them while I am still able to do so.

A lovely thought Jen.

people may make a donation to the RSPCA if they want to as David was a huge lover of animals.

That says so much about David. I will not be able to donate to RSPCA but will give my contribution to the Lusaka Animal Welfare group that rescues stray cats and dogs and finds new homes for them.

As to Jen's comment, (which for some reason I can't quote here) I reckon David'll know ...

Edited by Ting Mikyunyu

I have been touched by a similar thought to Jen when I lost someone who was far too young. About six months later I vowed to say the nice things about people that many people think but never say. The happiness it brings people is so rewarding, and its my way of making something positive out of something tragic. Maybe this can help others here.

I reckon David'll know ...

Indeed!

Farewell David . . . and thank you for all that you have done for this site. You set a calm and gracious tone and you shone with intelligence, wisdom beyond your years and a gentle wit to keep all in line.

My thoughts and prayers are with David's mother and with Hazel and others on BGO who knew him more closely than the rest of us.

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy it can contain................

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."

Kahlil Gibran

David, thank you for the delight you have given us in BGO and for the future joy we will find among the words you have written here.    Rest peacefully.

Goodbye David, so sorry you have left us.  My heartfelt sympathy David's family and friends.

I was truly reluctant to open BGO for the last few days, somehow I knew there was sad news. All the beautiful tributes have brought tears to my eyes as they have done to others. I am sure we will all keep David in our hearts and if we keep his wisdom too then his memory will live on.

Another sporadic poster here. Someone from another site very kindly passed on the news and since then, like Cassie, I've found it hard to come on the site. In all the time I've been with BGO, David has been a constant. Witty, thoughtful and occasionally fixated on Keira Knightly, his posts always made me smile. He took the time to get in touch when we had to say goodbye to our lovely dog recently and, as usual, managed to say just the right thing.

I wish I'd been paying more attention to the boards recently, but now all I can do is offer condolences and say what is turning into a very soggy goodbye. For some reason, I always imagined him typing in one of those cord jackets with the leather elbow patches and I'll keep that image in my head for when the new Doctor Who comes on. I'll be raising both a glass of wine and my sonic screwdriver to a perfectly splendid bloke.

Hi everyone

I just spoke to David's Mum, for the first time actually, and she was overwhelmed with the cards and everyone's comments on this thread. It has really touched her that so many people took the time to send her a card and say such nice things about David. She is doing as well as can be expected and, I've got to say, she was much braver on the phone than I was, managing to talk about her son with such love and admiration when I could only squeak out responses. She asked me to come on and thank everyone so much as she wouldn't know how to otherwise. She is understandably going to find the funeral hard on Thursday but she says that she still doesn't really believe what has happened. I know what she means. Anyway we have promised to keep in touch with each other and I'll do what I can for her from all these hundreds of miles away. Thank you everyone!

I can't believe what happened either, eternally stunned. I'm going to find Thursday hard too and my thoughts will be with David's mum and you, Hazel on the day. Not at all ready to say goodbye or to let go I'm afraid but I do sincerely hope that it all goes smoothly.

And thanks for being brave enough to talk on the 'phone, I'm sure that it was terribly hard for you.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Thank you Hazel for all you have done on our behalf. I hope that as time goes on the memory of David's tragic death becomes more bearable. The sorrow will always be there but maybe just a wee bit more manageable. Your close friendship with David must have made it very difficult for you to do what you did to pass along the condolences of the BGO members to David's Mum and I thank you again. Bless you Hazel, you're a real trouper.

Hazel, I can't thank you enough for what you have done and for passing on David's mums conversation with you.  I can only echo momac and luna's comments - they say all I feel too.  David has been in my thoughts constantly for the last few months but especially so this last couple of weeks. 

Thursday will be a very difficult day for me because part of me will be at David's funeral and part of me will have to be with my granddaughter who will be 2 years old on that day.  A mixture of emotions from Lancashire reaching all the way to the south coast of England for them both. 

Hazel

You will have a lot of good people "alongside" you tomorrow on what will obviously be a difficult day.  Hope you will take strength from that and from knowing that David will be looking down and smiling, because his legacy is carrying on and going from strength to strength.  How many of us can, or will be able to, say we achieved that much.

God Bless You

CP and RG

xx