I spoke to David again tonight and unfortunately he was absolutely exhausted so I will phone him tomorrow night again. He did say that it took him a long time to type that message to us all and that it took a tremendous amount of effort but he really wanted to do it. I don't think we will hear from him again until he is home. He is due another procedure soon and hopes that it will allow him to turn a corner. More tomorrow I hope.

David just got your wondeful message - so happy to hear from you, and sending more and more good wishes  and BGO will certainly be celebrating  today :festive:  :flowers:  :dance:  :banana:  :clap:  :D  :D  :D  :wavey:

So very glad to read your post David.

Hope you are back quicker than expected, but know you are in our thoughts in the meantime.

All the best.

Thanks for the message, David. It's lovely to 'hear your voice' again. Congratulations on being able to break your internet silence (and maybe the bank too). Keep getting better.

It was so good to 'hear' David again and especially that he's pulled through after some obviously major procedures.   And thank you Hazel for all what you've done and communicated. :yup:

Spoke very briefly to David today, his friend had come to visit and he was recovering after having another procedure done, so he was extremely tired and unable to talk. I will be speaking to him again tomorrow and hopefully I'll get a chance to see how he is doing.

I have a tear in my eye. Lovely to hear from you David. And you hid the effort it must have taken to write that note. Take your time...

With an extremely heavy heart, I am afraid I have very bad news. David had an operation on Sunday night and while the operation went well, the toll on his already damaged body was too much, and last night he passed away. Obviously on a personal level I am devastated but I am equally devastated for everyone here at BGO. BGO was a huge part of David's life and everyone here made his last few months a little more bearable as you showed him how much he was loved and thought of. He was an incredible person and unfortunately at times he didn't realise how special he was. You all really showed him that and he was absolutely overwhelmed with everyone's kind thoughts. It meant so much to him. We have lost our guiding star.

Obviously BGO will continue and that will be sorted out over the next few weeks as we will all need time to get our heads around the news. I will be in contact with his friends with regard to the funeral and an address to send cards or flowers to. I will let you know when I have that available.

On a personal level, I just want to say that the last few months have been difficult and the support here has been tremendous. David and I bonded almost immediately when I joined BGO in 2005 and for the last almost 9 years, we had been a part of each other's daily lives. He was my best friend, my confidante and my mentor. A lot of what I have done in my life in these years was because David gave me the confidence and the belief to do it. He was such a talented, intelligent, diplomatic and terribly funny man and I am going to miss him terribly.

Hazel, we have just read your news and can only express our extreme sadness.  It is very telling that, even though we have only been on BGO for a short time, we didn't know David, had never met him, and didn't really know a BGO with him at the helm, yet we are both sitting here with tears in our eyes.  THAT sums up the effect he obviously had on BGO and the friends he had made, and brought together across the globe, and there will no doubt be some very heavy hearts tonight.

As someone who clearly was very close to him, please allow us to express our condolences to you.

With our love

Cherrypie and Ragamuffin Gunner

It feels strange to be crying for someone I have never met; but we all did meet David, in a way. Everything you said, Hazel, I knew to be true - his intelligence, kindness and wisdom shone out. Some people are irreplaceable, and David was one. 

What absolutely devastating news - words can't express how I feel - to me he was the heart and soul of BGO - what terrible pain he has had to go through. All for nought. How awful for you Hazel. How cruel life can be!

I am so, so sorry, Hazel. I could not have put it better than Cherrypie and Ragamuffin Gunner. I feel like I knew David a little bit from reading his wonderful posts. He was so funny and wise. I am incredibly sorry for your loss and the loss to all of those at BGO who loved him. 

Oh, this is just too awful for words!

Hazel I am so very sorry, I can't begin to tell you. I thought I knew David too, through his posts, and he was incredibly special. I've been missing him terribly and that will go on.

What a devastating loss!

I am so shocked and heartsore.  David was the person who (patiently) helped me the most when I first started at BGO and we had just worked together to get the U.S. amazon link up, so I did feel that I'd gotten to know him, although not at the same level as many of you.  I'm sorry for all of us and particularly sorry for you, Hazel, since you all were so close.

It is so sad isn't it.

I just wanted to say that Hazel told the mod team just before she posted here. And as you can imagine we are all as upset as you are. There are only so many words... Which explains why we hadn't posted here.

That is really clumsy, but I hope I have made sense.

I am so sorry. David was BGO. I remember the lovely welcome he gave me when I joined and many words of wise counsel since then. David was wise, diplomatic and kind. He always had time for people - whoever or wherever they are. Much of the board as we see it today is David's creation, and there would certainly have been no BGO today without his efforts. But he was always willing to listen to other people's ideas, even when they were different to his own.

It was lovely that David was able to come back to BGO a few days ago and post. I am very sad to think that it was the last post.

RIP David - you will be sorely missed.

I'm so saddened by this news.  Hazel, my heart goes out to you, the bond between you and David was clear for us all to see in the banter in your messages. 

I'll miss his wisdom, humour and intelligence, we were lucky to have him.  RIP.

I still can't believe this, despite the fact that I knew how precarious David's health had been lately.

It's a terrible loss for his family and friends and for us. His calm and wisdom was such an important feature of the earlier days of BGO, when we had some tricky moments. He was so kind to me when I became a mod. I always admired his care for others and his good humour. The fact that we are all so devastated by the loss of someone we only knew by a first name and a Gene Wilder avatar is a tribute to David in itself: he has been a huge influence on BGO, playing a big role in making it the friendliest place in the Wild West world of internet fora.