Tim Lott emerged in the UK in Nick Hornby's slipstream, and his early work is often similarly tagged as lad lit, featuring, as it does, men facing up to their responsibilities and "growing up".

Under the Same Stars is the third of his books I've read, following his Whitbread nominated White City Blue and the more recent The Love Secrets of Don JuanOnce again, it features a 40-something man, this time illustrator and aspiring fine artist Salinger Nash. Sal lives with his partner Tiane in a fictional London suburb and keeps his Prozac prescription hidden from her, which tells you something about their relationship.

Sal receives a call from his older brother Carson, whom, apart from a brief encounter at their mother's funeral, he hasn't seen for 20 years. Carson is now resident in post-Katrina New Orleans and tells Sal he has had a missive from their long lost father Henry, who exited their lives when the boys were 14 and 10, deserting their mother for the USA. Henry is apparently living is Las Cruces, New Mexico, and is dying. Carson suggests to Sal they set out to see their father one last time. Tiane initially encourages the reluctant Salinger, but at the airport, mysteriously becomes distant and he leaves wondering what their future together holds.

It is a promising premise for a road trip novel, and Under the Same Stars is very readable, although let down by some credibility issues. For example, we are asked to believe Carson has totally reinvented himself as an American, even down to his born again Christian faith. I guess there are British people like Carson out there, but I suspect they are very few and far between. Lott has to do this, however, in order to create several set pieces to highlight cultural differences, such as their visits to various southern eating establishments.

And this is the novel's other flaw: it does largely feel like a series of familiar set pieces, albeit well executed ones. The brothers couldn't be more contrasting personalities. Sal manages to lose Carson's car keys, and his beloved Lexus is stolen and then found by a grouchy Texas cop who, of course, has a heart of gold, and drives it all the way to New Mexico so they can be reunited with it. Sal also has an encounter with a Native American medicine woman which is, of course, a revelation to him.

Where Lott does to an extent break with convention is at the novel's climax, although some elements of its coda then rather spoil things again. I won't trouble you here with what these events are.

This, sadly, is a flawed novel from a writer who I know can do a lot better.

2/5  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Mitchell
      I was trying to write a western historical fiction novel based around the Pony Express. I was wondering if there were any books out there that really hit the gritty, lawless lingo of the Old West. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!
    • By MisterHobgoblin
      I suspect that Tim Lott is a misunderstood man. He writes about grotesque characters in a sympathetic way and people imagine this is because he wants the characters to be admired. 

In When We Were Rich, we re-encounter the characters from White City Blue - four lads living in and around the White City estate in West London. Frankie Blue is an estate agent; Nodge is a taxi driver who has recently come out as gay; Colin is a computer geek; and Diamond Tony is persona non grata following an incident on a golf course. 

Picking up almost immediately from the end of White City Blue, we follow these characters and their newly found partners from the eve of the false Millennium (the real millennium started in 2001); through the boom years of the New Labour project and into the Global Financial Crisis of 2008. 

What Tim Lott does, seemingly effortlessly, is capture the atmosphere around major events and show how ordinary people responded to them. He holds up a mirror to ourselves and if we don't like what we see, we have only ourselves to blame. In When We Were Rich, we see the naked greed around the London housing market. We see people who believe they deserve the wealth they have accumulated through owning property - and expect to be able to repeat the feat for ever. We see people who judge others by their income, their job, their postcode. And because we have lived through these times ourselves, we know it won't end well. It's Rumours of a Hurricane twenty years on. 

I believe firmly that Tim Lott wants readers to sneer at his characters, not admire them or aspire to be them. Whether it is venal Frankie, selfish Vronky, lazy Roxy, the vain and hypocritical Fraser, the psychopathically angry Tony - they are all there to be mocked. Especially Fraser, the fifty-year old ripped EasyJet pilot - promiscuous on the gay scene while demanding fidelity from Nodge - turning up to Labour Party meetings to lament the fall of Militant. A thoroughly vile man in every way. 

When We Were Rich is the perfect summation of London in the 2000s, just as White City Blue was for the 1990s and Hurricane was for the 1980s. It is an easy, enjoyable read with much humour and quite a bit to say about class struggle and karma. 

Most readers will hate When We Were Rich if reviews of Tim Lott's past works are anything to go by. Their loss.  

• By Grammath
      Tim Lott is, to my mind, a close second to Nick Hornby in the "lad lit" stakes. This is his third novel after winning the 1999 Whitbread First Novel award for his excellent "White City Blue".

The racy title is somewhat misleading. The novel is narrated by Daniel "Spike" Savage, a 45 year old advertising exec in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from Beth. As with Rob in Hornby's "High Fidelity", Spike believes he can make sense of his life through making a list, in this case of the "love secrets" he has learned over the years, so he takes us through his romantic history, sharing the wisdom he has acquired along the way. Given that his marriage is breaking down around him, his conclusions are, not surprisingly, somewhat jaundiced, but the novel's conclusion does offer him some hope and shows up his so-called secrets for what they really are.

Although Danny is not entirely likeable - he's rather full of himself, smugly middle class and solipsistic - he makes a realistic everybloke, making many of the mistakes men are prone to making in relationships. Given Danny's situation, this could easily have become quite a bleak, bitter novel, and it is to Lott's credit that Danny does not come across as just irritatingly self-pitying.

The novel's style lent itself very well to audiobook, since it is basically a monlogue. Like Hornby's work, women will find this educational, men a little more honest than they'd like. This is no great literary work, and does not step outside the conventions of the genre in which it firmly sits, but it is an enjoyable read nonetheless.