tagesmann

Nominations for the Next BGO Book Group Read

I will be happy to listen to the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes collection as I have it on audible. It is a while since I listened and will be glad to enjoy it again.

When the theme of Sherlock Holmes was suggested I fully expected the nominations and votes to go to a traditional Arthur Conan Doyle book as that was clearly the original intention. I threw my suggestion of The House of Silk into the ring purely as a completely different alternative. It would probably be best appreciated and enjoyed by those already familiar with the original Sherlock, so that comparisons can be made between the writing styles and the portrayal of the main characters. Perhaps after this Group Read some others may be tempted to try it.

To Gram and Krey, who have shown interest, I would thoroughly recommend it. The writing style is faithful and Holmes and Watson very well portrayed although Sherlock is fractionally kinder to the doctor than usual, a welcome change. This book can explore where Conan Doyle could not, simply because of the era in which he wrote. It is nevertheless completely appropriate and makes for an excellent Sherlock mystery. I would enjoy hearing your thoughts if you read it sometime.

Edited by grasshopper

It looks like The Hound will win, which is fine for me, but as I've recently re-read it and seen it several (twice actually) times lately on TV, I would like to nominate 'The Blue Carbuncle' a timely Christmas story.

Just noticed on our tv listings that The Hound of the Baskervilles is being shown this coming Thursday, should be interesting.

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never read any of AC Doyle's work. I am hoping the vote goes for either Hound or Scarlet as these are the only SH books currently available at my local Library. Looking forward to discussions with you folks, having not read Orlando till everyone else had finished.

As I said upthread

Maybe, while we are still in the process of choosing one of the adventures for this read, those not familiar with the genesis of the Holmes Watson partnership would like to do a preliminary read of A Study in Scarlet, and read the comments in/add their thoughts to the threads already existing

Or at least read the parts that tell how Holmes and Watson get together in the first place, so that you have a basic grasp of their relationship and it won't matter too much what order you read most of the other stories.

Holmes is sometimes very rude about Watson's intellect, but he's not nearly as thick as some tv versions have made out.

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never read any of AC Doyle's work. I am hoping the vote goes for either Hound or Scarlet as these are the only SH books currently available at my local Library. Looking forward to discussions with you folks, having not read Orlando till everyone else had finished.

Don't let that stop you from giving us your opinion, Dan. There's no time limit on a group read.

Maybe, while we are still in the process of choosing one of the adventures for this read, those not familiar with the genesis of the Holmes Watson partnership would like to do a preliminary read of A Study in Scarlet, and read the comments in/add their thoughts to the threads already existing

Alright then Meg thanks for reminding me, I'll give it ago. Edited by lunababymoonchild

Yes,thanks Meg. I will read 'A study in scarlet' while awaiting the vote.

Don't let that stop you from giving us your opinion, Dan. There's no time limit on a group read.

I did add a post on my thoughts re: Orlando, Luna.

I'll second The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Benedict Cumberbatch is coming back as Holmes, so I can't wait.

Great news Luna. I'll check it out!

And since I have just got hold of "The Adventures ..." I'll second it, too.