tagesmann

Nominations for the Next BGO Book Group Read

Please can we have your nominations for the next BGO Book Group read.

The subject of this read is Sherlock Holmes. But what you choose to nominate is up to you. You might choose one of the Sherlock Holmes novels, or one of the short stories. Perhaps a collection of the short stories or something about Sherlock Holmes, fiction or non-fiction. It's up to you.

Please post your nominations here. It is always a good idea to give a reason for your nomination. You don't need to post much, a couple of lines will do.

If you fancy reading something, then please second it.

All nominations that are seconded will go forward to a vote.

If you are new to BGO or have not been involved in a BGO read before, please see this thread  http://www.bookgrouponline.com/topic/5788-introduction-to-the-bgo-bookgroup/ for some background.

And if you have any questions please post them.  

Nonsuch warned that we had to be careful to "read from the same hymnbook" and as there are a great many Sherlock Holmes short story collections about thought a list of the basic ones might be helpful:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (contains stories published 1891–1892 in The Strand)

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (contains stories published 1892–1893 in The Strand as further episodes of the Adventures)

The Return of Sherlock Holmes (contains stories published 1903–1904 in The Strand)

His Last Bow: Some Later Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes (contains stories published 1892, 1908–1913)[80][81]

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (contains stories published 1921–1927)

The collections called The Return of SH and The last Bow would not be good starters as they occur after a significant event (which probably no longer needs a spoiler), but do benefit from a little pre knowledge as they assume the reader is familiar with some characters and history.

Edited by grasshopper

Now I'll start the ball rolling with a  SH suggestion, written in 2011 but set  still in 1890. There are many very bad attempts at rewriting  Holmes, but I promise this isn't one of them.

The House of Silk - Anthony Horowitz - 2011

Publisher's summary

THE GAME'S AFOOT... It is November 1890 and London is gripped by a merciless winter. Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson are enjoying tea by the fire when an agitated gentleman arrives unannounced at 221b Baker Street. He begs Holmes for help, telling the unnerving story of a scar-faced man with piercing eyes who has stalked him in recent weeks. Intrigued by the man's tale, Holmes and Watson find themselves swiftly drawn into a series of puzzling and sinister events, stretching from the gas-lit streets of London to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston. As the pair delve deeper into the case, they stumble across a whispered phrase 'the House of Silk': a mysterious entity and foe more deadly than any Holmes has encountered, and a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society itself. With devilish plotting and excellent characterisation, bestselling author Anthony Horowitz delivers a first-rate Sherlock Holmes mystery for a modern readership whilst remaining utterly true to the spirit of the original Conan Doyle books. Sherlock Holmes is back with all the nuance, pace and powers of deduction that make him the world's greatest and most celebrated detective.

Edited by grasshopper

I'm always happy to re-read the short story  "The Speckled Band", and I know it's a favourite with a lot of SH fans so would probably be a good one for those who are not yet hooked.

Either just that story, or any collection containing it.

Having dusted my Complete Works - literally - I still can't make up my mind.  So I'll nominate The Hound of the Baskervilles because I've read it before.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I have never read a Sherlock Holmes story but have now started to explore Conan Doyle's series of stories about him.  From what I've read so far it would seem that A Study in Scarlet was his first novel about SH.  Reading the synopsis it would appear that it introduces the characters both of SH and Dr. Watson as well as providing a good who-done-it story.  For these reasons I would like to nominate this as a BGO read.

I'm always happy to re-read the short story  "The Speckled Band", and I know it's a favourite with a lot of SH fans so would probably be a good one for those who are not yet hooked.

Either just that story, or any collection containing it.

I would second this suggestion.

I have never read a Sherlock Holmes story but have now started to explore Conan Doyle's series of stories about him.  From what I've read so far it would seem that A Study in Scarlet was his first novel about SH.  Reading the synopsis it would appear that it introduces the characters both of SH and Dr. Watson as well as providing a good who-done-it story.  For these reasons I would like to nominate this as a BGO read.II would agree that A Study In Scarlet would recommend it as a good starting point for anyone planning to follow Holmes' adventures

A good suggestion, Barblue.

I would agree that  is a good starting point for anyone intending to follow the adventures of Sherlock Holmes - but I'm afraid we did it as a BGO group read a few years ago for that very reason

Maybe, while we are still in the process of choosing one of the adventures for this read, those not familiar with the genesis of the Holmes Watson partnership would like to do a preliminary read of A Study in Scarlet, and read the comments in/add their thoughts to the threads already existing

Are we talking about reading a single story such as The Speckled Band, a collection such as those grasshopper lists or one of the 4 novels Conan Doyle wrote (A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Valley of Fear)? I wonder if a single story will generate sufficient debate without bringing in lots of discussion about the whole Holmes canon and whether it would give us a rounded picture of Holmes and Watson.

I also like grasshopper's suggestion of reading the Horowitz book, partly because I haven't read it and it is on the pile, but also because it is the only Holmes story written that has the endorsement of Conan Doyle's estate. I'll second that.    

Are we talking about reading a single story such as The Speckled Band, a collection such as those grasshopper lists or one of the 4 novels Conan Doyle wrote (A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Valley of Fear)?

I get the impression from tag's opening post that we can nominate any of the options you mention:

The subject of this read is Sherlock Holmes. But what you choose to nominate is up to you. You might choose one of the Sherlock Holmes novels, or one of the short stories. Perhaps a collection of the short stories or something about Sherlock Holmes, fiction or non-fiction. It's up to you.

What we end up with will depend on which nomination wins the vote.

A good suggestion, Barblue.

I would agree that  is a good starting point for anyone intending to follow the adventures of Sherlock Holmes - but I'm afraid we did it as a BGO group read a few years ago for that very reason

Maybe, while we are still in the process of choosing one of the adventures for this read, those not familiar with the genesis of the Holmes Watson partnership would like to do a preliminary read of A Study in Scarlet, and read the comments in/add their thoughts to the threads already existing

Ah, obviously before my time!  I'll have a look at the thread though.  I totally agree with your suggestion Meg ... now if only I can find the time ......

It has been quite a while since I've read any SH. I'm very happy to see what others nominate and will join in the voting.

If I've read the posts correctly so far we have the following nominations:

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. A novel from 2011. Nominated by grasshopper. Seconded by Gram.

The Speckled Band by Arthur Conan Doyle. A short story. Nominated by Meg. Seconded by brightphoebus.

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. A novel. Nominated by luna.

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. A novel. Nominated by Barblue.

All are great suggestions. But we only have two so far which could go forward for a vote.

Personally I enjoyed reading the complete Sherlock Holmes (chronologically) a few years back and enjoyed both the short stories as well as the novels (which are fairly short).

Shall we have a few more days before we proceed to a vote?

To give more choice I'll second The Hound of the Baskervilles. And I do remember reading it years ago and enjoying it.

I'll go along with whatever is decided. Sorry I'm not much help: I have read  a few stories, but years ago and the only one about which I remember anything is 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'.

I nominate the collection 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' as I downloaded it last year. 

It includes The Speckled Band story.  (I have only read the first three stories of the 12 in the collection- got waylaid by some long novels)..

I nominate the collection 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' as I downloaded it last year. 

It includes The Speckled Band story.  (I have only read the first three stories of the 12 in the collection- got waylaid by some long novels)..

Is the "Collection" a bunch of shorter stories or a bunch of longer ones?  I guess I'm asking if it's of the 'doorstopper' genre.  :)

Is the "Collection" a bunch of shorter stories or a bunch of longer ones?  I guess I'm asking if it's of the 'doorstopper' genre.   :)

Well, momac, one of the paperback editions shown on Amazon states 178 pages.  On my Kindle the page count is necessarily much higher (449).

These stories were first published in The Strand magazine so were 'manageable'.

Well, momac, one of the paperback editions shown on Amazon states 178 pages.  On my Kindle the page count is necessarily much higher (449).

These stories were first published in The Strand magazine so were 'manageable'.

Thanks Chuntzy - will second your nomination then - don't remember reading any of SH but probably did eons ago. Mostly remember the tv series a number of years back. The 'Collection' should give a good sampling.

I'd second House of Silk. I've never tried a Holmes story outside of the orignal Conan Doyle stories. It would be a welcome excuse to pick one up, if such an excuse was ever needed.

As chuntzy says, the 56 Holmes stories were originally published in The Strand and collected into several volumes during Conan Doyle's lifetime. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was the first of these and contains the stories published after Holmes was introduced in A Study in Scarlet i.e. these are the early ones.

Several are acknowledged as among the best. As well as the aforementioned The Speckled Band there are, among others, A Scandal in Bohemia (the one that features "that woman" Irene Adler, whom Holmes considered to be one of his greatest adversaries), The Red Headed League and The Five Orange Pips. 

I've previously voiced my support for the Horowitz novel, but this would certainly give you a representative sample of the stories. 

To be honest, if you're going to buy Holmes on the Kindle you might as well invest in a complete volume containing all the stories and novels; mine set me back a princely 77p. 

Several are acknowledged as among the best. As well as the aforementioned The Speckled Band there are, among others, A Scandal in Bohemia (the one that features "that woman" Irene Adler, whom Holmes considered to be one of his greatest adversaries), The Red Headed League and The Five Orange Pips.

All of those stories are in the two editions of Strand magazine that my parents had, and that I enjoyed reading as a child. Consequently, they have become my favourites - and as I now own those very books I will be more than happy to read them again.