lunababymoonchild

Dracula, book, TV series

Here's an idea - not necessarily a good one - for those of us lucky enough to have access to Sky TV, Sky Living is broadcasting a series called Dracula starting on All Hallow's Eve (31 October). I have not read the book and wondered if anybody would like to join me in a 'flash' group read of the novel in time for the start of the series?

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I'd be glad to - I think I've read it before when I was in highschool, but don't have Sky TV so wouldn't be able to discuss the book vs the series.  

I'd be glad to - I think I've read it before when I was in highschool, but don't have Sky TV so wouldn't be able to discuss the book vs the series.  

In that case we can discuss the book.  It might be online in some sort of catch up thingy (for want of a better expression!) but just the book is fine.  We'll need to be fast!

Just got my copy on Kindle - will get started on it this evening. Good suggestion Luna.

Have been reading Dracula for the past couple of hours and the creepiness is getting to me. So I think I'll leave it until tomorrow (and daylight) to continue. Am downstairs by myself as h has gone to bed - it's amazing how much horror can be generated just by suggestion - hope I can sleep o.k. (I wonder what that creaking is that I heard coming from the basement!!! :)

Great idea,  Luna, no TV series but will re- listen to audio book as much as I can. I think this is the best vamp story of all - soooooooooooo evil :yikes:

Great stuff, Grasshopper

Have been reading Dracula for the past couple of hours and the creepiness is getting to me. So I think I'll leave it until tomorrow (and daylight) to continue. Am downstairs by myself as h has gone to bed - it's amazing how much horror can be generated just by suggestion - hope I can sleep o.k. (I wonder what that creaking is that I heard coming from the basement!!! :)

Yes, my father suggested reading only in the daylight and during the summer months! I'll get started this morning, when the sun eventually comes up and see how I get on.

Yes, best to wait until the vampires are safely encased in their coffins!   :)

I'm on chapter three! Nothing scary yet.

Not even a hint of the evil that is lurking?   

Have finished Dracula (11:30 p.m.) - quite an adventure.  Will wait until others have finished for discussion.  Bram Stoker's writing is very readable and I guess the word I'm looking for is gentlemanly, very Victorian.   :)

Edited by momac

I am rather behind but enjoying this enormously, I love the literary style but I want to kick that silly young man who wouldn't even get anyone to tell him what the lady with the crucifix was trying to say :banghead:   Have got to Whitstable and like the crusty old man on the seat and his conversations with Mina. 

I'm quite a bit further on than that and still enjoying it enormously. It doesn't feel like horror to me though but I'm sure that if I was experiencing it it would be horrific.

I have read The Historian which is about vampires and the first two in Anne Rice's series about vampires (The Vampire Chronicles) - Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat - which I loved. I have the third, Queen of the Damned, to look forward to. All very different styles to Stoker's and just as fascinating.

I also love the quaintness of the Victorian novels, the manners are different and there's no tech. I also love the concept of sending wires and writing letters, travelling by horse and carriage or train and am much intrigued by the diary style of the prose of Dracula. Two chapters a day, however is more than enough for me so I'm glad that that's enough to finish the book before the TV series, not that that's really important.

Last 67 pages to go and I find myself so involved with the book that I've decided who I want to play Dracula in the film of the book that I'm going to make.

I guess it won't be one of the current hunks. :)

I guess it won't be one of the current hunks. :)

Nicely put, Momac. I decided on Peter Capaldi, a Glaswegian actor of much experience. I'll put a link in later Edited by lunababymoonchild

Nicely put, Momac. I decided on Peter Capaldi, a Glaswegian actor of much experience. I'll put a link in later

Will look forward to the production.  :)

Will look forward to the production.   :)

It will, of course, be spectacular ;)

Here is a link to Peter Capaldi (just on the off-chance that you've never heard of him)  : Peter Capaldi

There are various sites claiming to have his height so I'm not sure but he looks tall and I decided that Dracula would need to be tall, and bony.  And I'm sure that you can easily see his aquiline nose.  He has also been chosen as the next Doctor Who so not at the forefront of my mind then   :P 

As for Professor Van Helsing, I thought Robert Carlyle  :  Robert Carlyle

Another Glaswegian - I can't help it we're just so talented!  He'd have to age around 20 years and put on a german-like accent, but a man of his talent could do it.  He's not tall so would suit my vision of Van Helsing.  He is a fabulous actor and I'm not just saying that because he's Glaswegian.

I haven't cast the rest yet but I daresay I'l get there.

:) 

It will, of course, be spectacular ;)

Here is a link to Peter Capaldi (just on the off-chance that you've never heard of him)  : Peter Capaldi

As for Professor Van Helsing, I thought Robert Carlyle  :  Robert Carlyle

I haven't cast the rest yet but I daresay I'l get there.

Love the idea luna, keep going - who on this site is going to dare argue with Glaswegians?

Of course we've heard of Peter Capaldi, if only lately, as he's the NEW Dr Who - do you think he could be evil enough? Need someone like the late Ian Richardson, do you remember the brilliant British version of House of Cards?

Like your van Helsing though must admit I'd never heard of him before. Please keep us updated as to the start of the UK TV series.

OK, so I've got as far as Mina nursing the amnesiac Jonathan and also finding the Renfield episodes suitably ghastly. Do start discussing with Momac if you want, I have read it before so you will not be spoiling. :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By grasshopper
      After enjoying a mini-group read of Dracula here on BGO I saw this Bram Stoker book described as ‘The Mother of all Mummy Stories’ and thought it worth trying. It turned out to be strange and rather hard going.

An Egyptologist raids the tomb of an ancient Egyptian Queen, Tera, who may have reigned as a man and a woman and possibly practised black magic.  He brings most of the contents including the Mummy, a mummified cat and a fabulous jewel back to England and has them arrayed around his bedroom.  He leaves a list of instructions to be carried out, in the event of anything happening to him.  Naturally, something does happen to him and it is up to his daughter, her young barrister admirer, father’s old friend and the local doctor to sort things out. Cast list sound familiar, Victorian novel readers?

The story is told in first person narrative by the barrister.  The other characters are not really described in any depth and it takes a long time to reach any action. First,  the tale of the Egyptian adventures are trawled through, later  we are lectured on hieroglyphics, which without illustration is impossible to comprehend, and a strange theory about different light is expounded.

The version I read had a vaguely disturbing ending so I looked for more information and discovered that Bram Stoker had originally written a different ending and had been asked to change it later by the publishers so I read the original version as well.

I wouldn’t recommend buying it, but both versions are available here free.

Note to mods - this was published in 1903 but may fit better in pre-1900 where Dracula is discussed. Please change if necessary.

• By David
      Restored Thread

#1 18th November 2006, 10:02 AM
      Hazel

I finished reading this yesterday and thought I would give it a mention. As we all know this tale follows Jonathan and Mina Harker and their fight to escape the clutches of Count Dracula, ably helped by Arthur, Quincey, John, and Van Helsing.

I first read this when I was about 14, and remember finding it a little scary and quite a dense book to get through, but I did enjoy it. I had to reread it this winter for uni next year and looked forward to seeing if I read it differently. While I still enjoyed it, the adult Hazel, couldn't help but feel saddened by some of the mawkishness.

Unfortunately this is a book that has suffered due to its success. When published the anti-vampire tools such as garlic, running water, invitation, stake through the heart, cutting off the head, bats etc etc would have been fascinating, exotic and thrilling. Now, having seen these kinds of things played to death, they just seem cliched and detract from the story. I tried hard to remove my modern perceptions and remember when this was written.

I found some of Mina's dialogue a little saccharine sweet - but that may just be a sociocultural thing.

It's still a fabulous read and the characters are engaging and believable, especially John Seward who is the voice of reason. He has aged much better than the rest of the gang. I did very much enjoy this books again, despite my previous moans - it's just unfortunate that it was the blueprint, a precursor to the vampire myths that came after. And the myths we have gotten so used to are such a diluted and comical version of what Stoker set out to create.

#2 18th November 2006, 11:27 AM
      Claire

I started reading Dracula when I was about 18, but I found it really, really scary and stopped before I got half way through!

Might be tempted to give it another ago, as you have obviously survived the experience. Now did I keep my copy.....or did I get rid of it as quickly as I could, as I was too freaked out to have it on the shelf in my bedroom...

#3 18th November 2006, 07:39 PM
      Hazel

It's really not at all scary now that I am an adult - so don't worry and give it a go!

#4 19th November 2006, 01:47 PM
      Claire
      Hmmmm, am I significantly braver now than I was at the age of 18???? Braver about somethings, and less brave about others, I suspect..... Now which category is Dracula likely to fall into?

(Might give it a try on Listen Again as Meg suggest, at least for the first five minutes, and see how it goes)

#5 19th November 2006, 09:05 PM
      megustaleer

Oh my!

I have just listened to last night's episode of Dracula.

I have got to read the book!

#6 20th November 2006, 09:16 AM
      Hazel
      Well, I recommend it highly. You may cringe at some of the dialogue but for atmosphere and physical spaces, you can't beat it!

#7 19th November 2006, 11:48 AM
      Mungus
      I've never read Dracula and would avoid it for the reasons I've quoted from Hazel. It's one of life's inevitables that you can never understand the impact a 'classic' makes on its first appearance.

On the same lines, I'm always a little sad that I can never know what effect The Beatles had when they first appeared. By the time I heard them, they sounded just like everyone else. Except what I didn't know was that everyone else sounded like them (or tried to). Same with a good story or writing style, it gets copied, re-interpreted and generally filters into our every day vernacular.

#8 19th November 2006, 01:05 PM
      megustaleer

As I've mentioned before, I often fall asleep with the radio on and wake in the small hours to find that Radio4 has morphed into the World Service.

Last night I woke to find myself listening to a dramatisation of Dracula**. I had missed about half of part 1, and the concluding part is next Saturday/Sunday.
      From the quarter hour or so that I listened it was definitely scary

I'm going to have to find it online to 'Listen Again' not only to hear the beginning that I missed, but also to hear the second half in the daylight!

** That is, a dramatisation of Bram Stoker's book, not some other version of a vampirical horror story, (it has been adapted by Liz Lochhead)

#9 22nd November 2006, 05:00 PM
      chuntzy

Another 'best-seller' using Dracula

Haven't read it but tried Elizabeth Kostova's [The Historian] in which there's a search for the mystery of Count Dracula, hidden texts about him etc. Couldn't get beyond page 200. Kostova had her eye on film rights I think. different European location in nearly every chapter. No characterisation. 'International best seller' it says. Humph!.

#10 22nd November 2006, 06:42 PM
      Hazel
      Funnily enough, I remember when a few people on BGO tried The Historian, no one liked it. Didn't it win the R&J best read? I didn't enjoy it but like you I only read the first 100 odd pages and gave up.

If you were tempted to read that - why don't you give Dracula a go? It is really rather good, despite suffering from it's success and popularity.