A to Z Game

megustaleer

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denali National Park, so I can gaze on the grandeur of the mountain the Inuit called The Great One, and ponder the absurdity of white folk renaming it McKinley after a piss poor president 

Iff - Some very intelligent and erudite people already live in Glasgow and they are on the forum and some of us were born there!  :)

Holland - would love to see acres of different coloured tulips in season.

Istanbul ; because it was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Oh Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night
Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

with thanks to The Four Lads and They Might Be Giants

Okefenokee Swamp; where I’d hopefully run into Pogo Possum, Porky Pine, Albert Alligator, Ol’ Owl and the rest of the denizens of that comic swamp

Edited by Dan
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vedauwoo-A Wyoming wonderland of rocks known for its masochistic off-width rock climbs, and for being an outlaw hideout during the days of the Old West

16 hours ago, hux said:

Ulaanbaatar - because it's the best named city ever and when am I ever gonna get to go to Mongolia? 

Btw- that is exactly the U destination I’d have chosen, and for the same reasons 😀

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, chuntzy said:

Xanadu so I can walk round with Coleridge's poem in my head. 

For me it would be the song by Rush😉😀

Yosemite National Park-So I can gaze in awe and wonder at the route on El Capitan which they call the Dawn Wall,(or more poetically The Wall of Early Morning Light, per Royal Robbins who first ascended it using aid techniques in the early 60s)which is just to the right of the Nose, and ponder the incredible feat of Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson free climbing it in 2015; and the even more amazing feat of Alex Honnold free-soloing Freerider(just left of the Nose), in June 2017, which is quite possibly the greatest and most incredible athletic feat in history. 

ETA- I got my climbing history wrong. Warren Harding and Dean Caldwell( no relation to Tommy) actually named and completed the first ascent of Wall of the Early Morning Light in 1970. Royal Robbins did the first ascent of Salathé Wall, which became Freerider when the route veered a bit to access some marginally easier terrain, in 1961. 

Edited by Dan