Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

The Archers

On the Coronation Street thread, in a moment of nostalgia,  grasshopper asked about The Archers. Not wanting to start a tangent there I've given The Archers its own thread.

I'm afraid that, although I still listen, on & off, The Archers has gone the same way as Coronation Street. Both seem to think they will increase their audience if they deal with 'issues', so have become plot-led, rather than character-led. I (and many others) now shout at our radios rather a lot, when one or another much loved, or hated villager does something totally out of character. The rot really set in nearly three years ago when one of the nicest, most loved characters was made to fall off a roof to his death. This was to commemorate the programmes 60th anniversary, and its repercussions were intended to be felt for ten years. It certainly made an impression, as it still gets referred to in other Radio4 programmes - and ten years isn't half of the time that the producer concerned will be vilified by many long-standing Archers fans.
She has recently retired.

Of the people you remember, grasshopper, Walter Gabriel, his son Nelson, Dan Archer & wife Doris are long gone. Phil Archer, who took over the running of Brookfield from his father died nearly four years ago. Peggy is still around, and still played by the same actress.

Phil and Jack Archer's younger sister, Christine is also still around.

Mum and I used to listen to the Archers but it's so long ago that I don't remember the characters, just know we both enjoyed it. There is nothing similar in radio programming here plus the commercials are so intrusive it would spoil it.

I started listening in1970, at university. It was the first time I had owned a radio of my own and the beginning of my love for Radio 4 so it was natural to tune into The Archers . It didn't fit with my usual choice of story or context, but I ended up following it until around 2008, when I missed a few programmes and just never got back into it. I did hear the 60th Anniversary though. Strange how writers and producers think we want death and catastrophe at times of celebration - I've never understood it. Apparently, after the editor stepped down, the BBC specifically advertised for an editor who could apologise for mistakes made and learn from them.

Thank you meg, for the update.  I now remember Christine, I believe she was a vet or stable owner.  I am sorry it has stopped being  "The Archers, an everyday story of country folk" , I think that was the original  introduction.   The fact that it followed normal daily life with interesting and amusing  characters was what made it so enjoyable.   Real life does include dramatic, sad happenings and is busy and often stressful  but The Archers and dear old Mrs Dale and her Diary could actually take us away to an innocent 15 minutes of relaxation, gossip and smiles.   When I first began listening radio was our only source of entertainment and for a long time only a few could afford television even when it became widely available.

Please don't think I live in a world of constant nostalgia, life here is vibrant, entertaining and very happy, but I will always love my birthplace and miss England's deep rich green and its old beautiful buildings.   Some BGO discussions do tend to stir old memories. :)

"Please don't think I live in a world of constant nostalgia, life here is vibrant, entertaining and very happy, but I will always love my birthplace and miss England's deep rich green and its old beautiful buildings.   Some BGO discussions do tend to stir old memories.  :)"

You've really expressed beautifully what I feel too Grasshopper.  I was born in Scotland but spent an equal amount of time in England before we moved to Canada - my high school years were in England.  I find myself tuning in to English choirs on YouTube and enjoying my nostalgic moments.

I'm sure it's something simple but I haven't managed to isolate part of a post to quote that's why part of your post is in quotation marks GH.  Someone will spot my shortcomings and jump in to tell me how.   :dunce:

I'm sure it's something simple but I haven't managed to isolate part of a post to quote that's why part of your post is in quotation marks GH. Someone will spot my shortcomings and jump in to tell me how. :dunce:

Click on the quote button as usual, click inside the quote box, delete what you don't want, click outside the quote box and reply as normal.

Hope that makes sense!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Please don't think I live in a world of constant nostalgia, life here is vibrant, entertaining and very happy, but I will always love my birthplace and miss England's deep rich green and its old beautiful buildings.   Some BGO discussions do tend to stir old memories. :)

Isn't nostalgia a sign of old age ...?  :wonder:   Just asking :D

Wistful longing or sentimental affection for what has past can occur at any age - but the ability to revel joyfully in long ago memories is restricted to those fortunate enough to have long years to remember and the time to sit back and do so. :lol:   

Ahh ... yes ... "the time to sit back".  That's the whole of it.  That's why we have to wait  so long.

As to the Archers, did they ever change the signature tune?

I'm sure it's something simple but I haven't managed to isolate part of a post to quote that's why part of your post is in quotation marks GH.  Someone will spot my shortcomings and jump in to tell me how.   :dunce:

You have to be careful when deleting anything which goes back to the start of the quotation.  If you press the backspace delete when your cursor is at the very beginning, or if your highlighting of text to be deleted stretches to the bold quote details at the top, the entire quote box will disappear.

Yes, it certainly is in my case anyway.   And I get to enjoy lovely memories.   :)

Edited by momac

Click on the quote button as usual, click inside the quote box, delete what you don't want, click outside the quote box and reply as normal.

Hope that makes sense!

You have to be careful when deleting anything which goes back to the start of the quotation.  If you press the backspace delete when your cursor is at the very beginning, or if your highlighting of text to be deleted stretches to the bold quote details at the top, the entire quote box will disappear.

Thanks Luna and David and Grasshopper, I knew I'd get the help I needed.  :)

If that happens, Don't Panic!

Just go back to the post you are replying to and click the quote button again.

Don't ask how I know :dunce:

I gave up listening when Christine Archer was studying for he GCE's.  Does anyone know - Momac perhaps - if she failed Maths?

I left the UK in 1953 and never heard the Archers again so I'm no help with the answer to your question nonsuch.

I gave up listening when Christine Archer was studying for he GCE's.  Does anyone know - Momac perhaps - if she failed Maths?

Somebody's memory is dodgy - Christine was 'born' in 1931, and The Archers serialisation started in 1951, when she would have been 20.

Well done, Meg!  So we have an Archers archivist on board!  So, if Christine was born in 1931, she would have been doing her GCE exams around 1947, which is one year before I did mine - then called School Certificate, if I remember rightly. I think that's why I must have given up listening - the tension of waiting for the exam results was too much.

On 10/9/2013 at 09:31, nonsuch said:

Still doesn't add up, though, does it!  If the serialisation began in 1951, Christine was 20 and would probably have been at university.

I doubt it - I don't think university was Archers territory back in 1951, especially for the girls. Not sure any went to agricutural college for another quarter century! Christine was always horsey, so was probably working as a stable-girl in her teens/twenties.

Any way, I came back to this thread just to say that The Archers has not improved since my OP, 5years ago, although there are some of us still listening, and commenting daily, elsewhere on the web.