Sign in to follow this  
belinda

Big Brother

Is our esteemed leader censoring all mentions of Big Brother or is it that I am the sole fan?

Personally I love it to pieces and it is much more fun than the hamster ever was, and unlike the hamster I will not be called upon to arrange a funeral.

Workwise I find it interesting to see who likes which inmate and why.

Why was the hamster arranging a funeral? Sounds like something off The Mighty Bill's current tv offering. :)

Personally I love it to pieces and it is much more fun than the hamster ever was, and unlike the hamster I will not be called upon to arrange a funeral.

Am I the only person on here who doesn't understand a word of this sentence?

No, it's beyond me, too.:confused:

The one good thing about my current addiction to the internet is that I switch on the computer, not the TV, when I'm looking for a way to waste time so have not seen any of the current BB at all.:)

It was quite nice to have a BB free zone on BGO, so I will avoid this thread from now on.:P

That means that I'll never know about the hamster, but it's a price worth paying! :D

Sorry, but this Big Brother nonsense only appeals to people with something lacking.

I am not entirely what it is that is lacking, so it need not necessarily be insulting (you can make up your own minds) but something is definitely missing.

I quite like it and I'm not ashamed to admit it!! I normally go to bed around half ten so it's something easy to watch for a bit at the end of the day. I never watch the live feeds and have never voted.

I know the people on it are attention-seeking idiots but there are often some very amusing or interesting insights into human nature.

I don't think I'm lacking anything.... apart from something better to watch at 10pm!

Sorry, but this Big Brother nonsense only appeals to people with something lacking.

I am not entirely what it is that is lacking, so it need not necessarily be insulting (you can make up your own minds) but something is definitely missing.

I'm down with you on this one, RR.

I completely fail to see the appeal of BB, or indeed any "Reality TV". As a genre, it bears no relation to any form of reality I've ever come across.

I prefer drama and comedy if I'm going to sack out in front of the TV of an evening and it annoys me that terrestrial prime time (I don't have satellite/cable/digital) these days seems to be more or less wall to wall reality and property/makeover shows or "look at the freaks" documentaries.

It might be something to do with me. I guess I'm just not interested in how cartoon people interact with each other in an artificial goldfish bowl environment. I'd rather read a book :D .

If this makes me a snob, then I'm a snob. If it was good enough for Evelyn Waugh, its good enough for me.

Rant over, I'll go and lie down now.

Oh... I was about to post something about who do you like now and who do you want to win? or what is your view on the Anthony possible suppressed homosexuality issue? or are you voting this week? is Makosi still the best? but it seems no one else wants this sort of discussion... someone out there must know what I am talking about, Seraphina, back me up!!!!!!

I am deeply addicted and signed up for the email updates whilst I was on holiday (thank you office for supplying a Blackberry).

Friday will be very interesting …………………. Mykosi was the best but is now duplicitous to the nth degree - maybe she is a mole or rather the Big Brother hamster. Derek or Kamal to win but then again there is something so deliciously nerdish (oxymoron or what) about Eugene. He could be a dark horse. Love the fall out between Mykosi and Kamal and also Mykosi’s baby. Suspect it is rather like Mapp’s pregnancy in the EF Benson novels. Could dribble on like this for hours.

PS To Bill, perhaps there should be a health warning on this thread.

"The snobbery on this board never ceases to astound me."

Sorry. Just thought I'd get that fairly obvious comment out of the way.

Look, I know you haven't mastered the quote facility on the Board, but as that's in quote marks, is it a quote Deino? If so, who from?

I like Sherman's reply - I didn't think that BB viewers were likely to have a dry sense of humour, as I've heard that when brain disease sets in that's often the first feature to go.

;);)

Is our esteemed leader censoring all mentions of Big Brother or is it that I am the sole fan?

Workwise I find it interesting to see who likes which inmate and why.

I would not dare to suppress the free expression and preferences of people on this board.

I completely abhor so-called reality TV and believe it to be the worst development to have happened in television since the emergence of Keith Chegwin. And yet...and yet...I have barely missed an episode of Big Brother in six years. I know the names of every contestant who's been in BB, and I have an opinion (even now) about every single one of them.

This year, for the first time since 2000, I have missed the odd episode, but have now found myself being sucked in due to the inventive ideas of the production team (eg this week's two lies). I think they have made huge mistakes in casting, as they are almost all utterly repellent human beings and far too young to be very interesting. I don't hate many people in this world, but have felt this emotion in this series towards Saskia, Lesley, Derek and - perhaps the most odious person ever to enter BB - Craig. The rest of them I mainly despise, and yet I keep being lured back to watch them.

I think it is because, despite the fact that it is far from any semblance of reality, it is an interesting experiment to lock people up for 11 weeks and give them little or no control over their lives, and then see what happens. It is the genre in its purest form. Whatever you may think of Big Brother, it is undeniable that what they do, they do well.

despite the fact that it is far from any semblance of reality, it is an interesting experiment to lock people up for 11 weeks and give them little or no control over their lives, and then see what happens.

Exactly!

Oh... I was about to post something about who do you like now and who do you want to win? or what is your view on the Anthony possible suppressed homosexuality issue? or are you voting this week? is Makosi still the best? but it seems no one else wants this sort of discussion... someone out there must know what I am talking about, Seraphina, back me up!!!!!!

lol I've been dragged out of the closet as a secret BB fan!! Thanks RO!

This year has been an odd year for BB. There is no one I like on it at all, and hasn't been right from the start, but still, for whatever reason I feel compelled to watch it. I am actually excited about Friday's eviction twist and will be turning down any social events in favour of the tv. How sad.

Makosi was my favourite but since the pool thing/fake pregnancy I've kind of gone off her....still she's the best of a bad bunch. I quite like Science as well, I think he's got a sweet side that you don't see a lot - although if I was actually IN the house I'd be nominating him every week - just be a bit quieter Science! I swore if Science went last week that I would stop watching BB - happily this resolve wasn't put to the test! :P

It's interesting though, I think one of the reasons we like watching things like BB is because when humans were evolving they were used to having a community around them, a small community where everyone knew each other. Now we don't have that, our families are split up all over the country and we may have plenty of friends but have never spoken to our neighbours. It's quite sad that we know more about the lives of some people stuck in a house than we do about the person who lives next door. Watching normal people (well, perhaps not normal !) could be kind of a substitute for the fact that a lot of us don't have a local community any more. Just a thought...! :confused:

Look, I know you haven't mastered the quote facility on the Board, but as that's in quote marks, is it a quote Deino? If so, who from?

*Reels from stinging sarcastic wit!*

The quote marks - since you insist that's what they are - were utilised to denote 'irony', RR. Do I have to spell everything out on here? :rolleyes: Oh, I do, okay. The intention was to suggest in a lighthearted way that I find hypocrisy rather laughable. Sorry it didn't come across, but hey, they can't all be winners, can they? (Oh and I don't use the quote facility on here, because I don't like it. It uses too much space.) Anyway, 'Godspeed' and all that...

So, Big Brother. I'm down with Bill's take. Yes, I know it's crass. Yes, I know there are better ways of spending an hour. And yes, I'm well aware that this year's models might perhaps constitute the most ghastly bunch of people ever produced by this country. But, it's like junk food or other bad habits - and I always regret it afterwards, when it's too late...

Makosi is so clearly a plant (or at the very least, 'under instruction') that I find it painful: this pregnancy thing is the most desperate trumped-up idea ever had by anyone bored from being stuck in a TV house, but plimsoll-brain Vanessa hasn't the character to see that. Derek - who I don't hate as much as everyone else seems to - has resorted to that stock and very passe 'gay cliche' of assuming any straight guy within proximity must clearly be dying to jump his bones. And the deluded Science is somehow perceived by almost everyone as a witty, intelligent individual? If you've never opened your ears and listened in your all-too-brief life, how can you be? - is my response. Craig is hugely annoying, yes. As is Orla, who really isn't as attractive as she thinks she is.

Anyway, must get on. I've so many better things to do!!

(Oh and I don't use the quote facility on here, because I don't like it. It uses too much space.)

I agree with a lot of what you say, Deino, although not all. However, I have to ask, did you spell Orla that way because 'Orlaith' takes up too much space?

Yours in a light-hearted way.

Following our recent conversation etc etc, I feel empowered by the new knowledge that 'Orla' is indeed spelt 'Orlaith' (I assumed wrongly that it was a short form...) But, yeah, touche.

lol I've been dragged out of the closet as a secret BB fan!! Thanks RO!

Yey, BGO people watch BB too! We seem to have agonised over outing ourselves as fans as much as Craig has over his sexuality. Soooo funny, Derek was so right saying he's going through what him and Kemal got over and done with at 15 - sorry, am I cruel, laughing at his internal 'turmoil'? He can't even say 'gay' out loud, he covers his mouth from the cameras and mouths it at people. And Anthony, oh Anthony poor boy, give in to that little gay voice inside of you!!! sorry... apart from being fascinated at all these shenanigans, I love Eugene, he's hilarious. I don't know if I believe Makosi is a plant, I think some people are just that desperate to get attention on TV. She is a strange person though.

As my boyfriend says (though he 'doesn't watch BB') Orlaith is just attention seeking with all those unnecessary letters at the end of her name...

What do you reckon to Derek then? I thought it was interesting some of the other BB contestants were speculating that he used to have money but doesn't any more, which is why he went on BB.

Who do you want to go this week? I'm worried if Eugene is voted for by the public, the housemates will vote him out, though if he was up for the public vote, i'd so vote for him to stay!!!