Anonymity

Minxminnie

I guess we might have to ask the admin/moderators if they wanted to undertake this task if we wanted the enrollment to be policed?  I'm still trying to puzzle out why I received messages from four people who wanted to correspond with me on Skype, where did they get my Skype name, for instance?  I suspect it may have something to do with Facebook, where I'm not anonymous, however, that's just a guess. There was even one from a man in Ghana who wanted to tell me about his inheritance.  Maybe I was to run it through my bank account. Obviously I didn't engage with any of them. :hmm:

The second is the ability to identify posters by the site owners or ultimately the police or third parties that wish to litigate.  This I am in favour of, because of the way defamation law in the UK is written. 

Not sure how you would achieve this. I know some sites (e.g. Indian Railways) make you give a mobile phone number when you register; they text a code to that mobile phone which you must enter to validate your registration. This is presumably traceable to some form of ID you showed when you got your mobile phone simcard. The trouble is, this only works for registrations in the same country as the website - it cannot work in an international community. So unless you want to restrict websites to single nations, a website owner cannot really verify the identity of new registrations.

Edited by MisterHobgoblin

I am in favour of sites asking for a real name at enrolment, even if people post under a username, and it doesn't really need any work as far as I can see - just a standard form which asks you to put in your name.

Of course, we can rely on everyone to be truthful in doing this. I post as MM, but the other mods know I am really Elvis Jellybottom.

ETA:crossposted with MrHG, who made the same point in a far better way...

Not sure how you would achieve this. I know some sites (e.g. Indian Railways) make you give a mobile phone number when you register; they text a code to that mobile phone which you must enter to validate your registration. This is presumably traceable to some form of ID you showed when you got your mobile phone simcard. The trouble is, this only works for registrations in the same country as the website - it cannot work in an international community. So unless you want to restrict websites to single nations, a website owner cannot really verify the identity of new registrations.

And the problem with this, like most things, is that it just introduces an extra layer of complexity and hassle for those who follow the rules, and does nothing whatsoever to deter those who don't follow the rules. Because they're just that, people who don't follow the rules. So someone who naturally doesn't follow the rules, who wants to register on the Indian Railways for some nefarious purpose, doesn't throw their arms up and say, "Darn it, foiled by this requirement to answer a text message to complete registration". I suspect they just steal a mobile phone :-/