Quick questions

Jeremy DEagle

I'm having a tidy up, and I wondered: what do BGOers do to identify all those cables we all have for various devices?

I have a new sideboard, and I now have a drawer full of cables. I tend to tie them up loosely so they don't get tangled up, but I can really only figure out their function by looking at the connections, and I often find these hard to identify. If there's a plug, I often put on a sticky label, but what can you do to identify a cable??

We're not that organised but as a suggestion why not put a sticky label round each one, like the tags on a loaf of bread, with whatever the device they connect to.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a tidy up, and I wondered: what do BGOers do to identify all those cables we all have for various devices?

I have a new sideboard, and I now have a drawer full of cables. I tend to tie them up loosely so they don't get tangled up, but I can really only figure out their function by looking at the connections, and I often find these hard to identify. If there's a plug, I often put on a sticky label, but what can you do to identify a cable??

I use 'Cable Labels' from 'Presents for Men'- 24 for £4.99, but they have changed the design since I bought mine. They used to be plastic and clipped on in line with the cable, but the shape has changed and the reviews indicate that they are no longer plastic.

I use 'Cable Labels' from 'Presents for Men'- 24 for £4.99, but they have changed the design since I bought mine. They used to be plastic and clipped on in line with the cable, but the shape has changed and the reviews indicate that they are no longer plastic.

Ah! I liked luna's suggestion of just wrapping a sticky label round, which I hadn't thought of, but there are actually a few products called "Cable Labels", on Amazon and elsewhere, just like you describe. Will buy some.

• 1 year later...

Me again - since BGO solved my last question!

Strangely enough, my question today is related to the last one I asked. I have a whole lot of old Scart cables, which have now largely been replaced by hdmi cables on devices. Should I just throw them out? Do you think anyone wants them? Would a charity shop take them?

Probably not a charity shop, or at least not the sort that have had the Mary Portas treatment (as most round here have in the last five years)

How about Freecycle? That would be preferable to sending them to landfill, and it's amazing what people will find a need for if its free. Not only that, they will collect it (from a public place, if you don't want them coming to your home)

I'd like to ask an irreligious question.  If God created man in His image, is He not a naked ape?  I can see it coming: God's a spirit and other such nonsense.  Anyhow, I think the question is still valid.

Emm ... quite a way from my question about Scart cables. ☺

I think you'll find that this thread is more about trivia. And in any case, we like to respect everyone's beliefs here on BGO, so while robust debate is fine, pre-judging by calling something nonsense isn't.

• 7 months later...

I was watching the movie Trumbo the other night and I was, once again, shocked by people's inability to distinguish between the principles laid out by Karl Marx, and the

Soviet and Maoist monsters which corrupted and perverted those ideals. And being Eastertime it begged the question; Who got a rawer deal from their followers, Jesus or Karl Marx? In its most simplified form Marx said "let's share" and Jesus said "be nice to each other", both of which ideas are kindergarten curriculum requirements. But the organized proponents in charge of promulgating both of these great men's teachings tend to do exactly the opposite. So, who has a right to be more disgusted with how their message has been used by authority figures, Marx or Jesus?

I was watching the movie Trumbo the other night and I was, once again, shocked by people's inability to distinguish between the principles laid out by Karl Marx, and the

Soviet and Maoist monsters which corrupted and perverted those ideals. And being Eastertime it begged the question; Who got a rawer deal from their followers, Jesus or Karl Marx? In its most simplified form Marx said "let's share" and Jesus said "be nice to each other", both of which ideas are kindergarten curriculum requirements. But the organized proponents in charge of promulgating both of these great men's teachings tend to do exactly the opposite. So, who has a right to be more disgusted with how their message has been used by authority figures, Marx or Jesus?

Seen the film also and the 40s 50s very rich Jewish millionaires flirting with Communism seemed surreal.Enjoyed the film. Always think of Christopher Hitchens who was a Marxist and then moved to America. Capitalism changes everything and many churches in America and to be fair the world require and want money.Communism is no longer an argument against Capitalism.

Marx or Jesus is the question.

Can see both their appeal but I think Jesus wins on morals Marx on society.

On the fence.

What was the name of the translator for "the alchemist" by Paulo coelho.

I no longer have the copy so I don't have that to refer to

My copy was translated by Alan R Clarke. It's a Harper One, Harper Collins edition