What is your pet peeve?

momac

Don't know if we've done this before and if we have and it's not a worthy subject please feel free to remove it David.

A couple of mine to start:

People who call me on the phone and proceed to eat their lunch and chew in my ear -

People who always tag on "you know what I mean" after what they've just told you -

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In UK people wait in a bus queue and get on in the order they were at the bus stop.  Here they surge around everywhere, come and stand ' ïn front of the front' and when the bus comes it is a free for all. That drives me wild and at the beginning I used to give people a Paddington Bear hard stare. When I asked my friends about it they  thought I was being a whingeing Pom . :grumble:

Unless they'd seen a proper English queue, they just couldn't understand why I got cranky.

LITTER! And to see someone drop litter when there is a litterbin nearby can make me fume.

Oh, me too. I notice it even more since starting work on a site with aircraft movements. Because of the risk of Foreign Object Damage, litter is taken very seriously. Oddly enough, there aren't any litter crews as such - just bins provided outside all buildings, and the need to use them is (somehow) instilled in everyone who works here. I have no idea how that stage is accomplished, except maybe it's because it's just part of everyone's job, who knows. BUT the upshot is, you walk around a large site and are struck by the lack of litter compared to almost any public place these days...

Cold Callers.

People who talk

Oh I know exactly what you mean about litter, Barblue.

across you.

;) (Couldn't resist, Viccie.  I loathe cold callers too - especially the foreign ones who bypass the telephone preference service)

I certainly am a litter hater, though.  It particularly riles me because I live by the sea, where there's a huge greensward just behind the beach.  It's mostly only locals who know about it and the place fills to the gills when the sun's out.  Then you see the detritus of human pleasure strewn everywhere like the aftermath of a storm.  Cans and bottles are the most common, and the most annoying are disposable barbecues - very popular by the beach.  Not only are these left, but when they're eventually removed by the council there's a large black rectangle of scorched grass, making it look like the greensward has been a mass alien spaceship landing area.

Supermarkets regularly see my gorge rising for a whole variety of reasons.  At the moment this is mostly people parking in disabled spaces when they aren't remotely disabled.

Text speak in general, but especially when it begins to leak into other formats, for example Facebook posts. The most annoying to me is the use of 'ya' instead of 'you'.

As a new father (and following on from David's suggestion) people that park in the 'family' parking without kids.

My main driving peeve is when I stop at a zebra crossing and the person that crosses the road doesn't acknowledge you with a quick wave of the hand or a nod of thanks. So I guess broadening that out, manners in general, because they cost nothing.

I'm getting on a roll now. I think I've opened a flood gate. I better stop.

My main driving peeve is when I stop at a zebra crossing and the person that crosses the road doesn't acknowledge you with a quick wave of the hand or a nod of thanks. So I guess broadening that out, manners in general, because they cost nothing.

I agree manners cost nothing, but just on this point specifically: do you get as annoyed if you stop at a Pelican crossing and the person crossing doesn't wave or acknowledge? It seems like it's a common complaint about zebras but never seems to be about Pelicans, I've often wondered why this is when the driver isn't doing anyone a favour by stopping, just obeying the law in both cases :-S

ETA: Reading that back makes me sound like someone who doesn't wave on Zebras (I do!) or someone who is quietly seething everytime I see someone getting angry when someone doesn't wave to them (I'm not!) ;)

Edited by waawo

I agree manners cost nothing, but just on this point specifically: do you get as annoyed if you stop at a Pelican crossing and the person crossing doesn't wave or acknowledge? It seems like it's a common complaint about zebras but never seems to be about Pelicans, I've often wondered why this is when the driver isn't doing anyone a favour by stopping, just obeying the law in both cases :-S

I like it when people do something at a pelican. In fact I have a lovely memory of a little girl of around 5 or 6, pointedly stopping in front of my car and waving at me, which I thought was very sweet and made my day. However, I don't always feel the need to give a little wave at pelican crossings.

I think it's because, as a driver, you are being compelled to obey the traffic lights. At a zebra crossing, it is the pedestrian's very presence that makes you stop. It's a more personal action. You have noticed the pedestrian and decided to stop.

It's a strange differentiation, and I haven't thought about it before.

I like it when people do something at a pelican. In fact I have a lovely memory of a little girl of around 5 or 6, pointedly stopping in front of my car and waving at me, which I thought was very sweet and made my day. However, I don't always feel the need to give a little wave at pelican crossings.

I think it's because, as a driver, you are being compelled to obey the traffic lights. At a zebra crossing, it is the pedestrian's very presence that makes you stop. It's a more personal action. You have noticed the pedestrian and decided to stop.

Good points. I wave if I'm the only person at a Pelican, because it feels more like a zebra anyway, if I wasn't there the lights wouldn't have had to change. But in a big crowd of people, probably not.

But in a big crowd of people, probably not.

It could easily be misinterpreted, couldn't it.

I never thank people at pelicans.  Regardless of what the Highway Code says about zebras, they have that feel of being optional (and for some drivers, often are) whereas a pelican is a red light - you have to do it.  I would actually feel odd thanking someone for doing what they're obliged to do.  I do give a nod of the head or hand-up gesture at zebras, though.

What I get annoyed by in this area is people who try to cross the road about 50 yards from a crossing, standing precariously in the middle of the road until someone stops to let them finish crossing.  The seafront at Worthing is thick with pelicans (I know - you'd expect seagulls...) but people are always doing this - frequently with kids in tow, so people do stop for them and the younger generation learns to ignore proper crossings and just cross wherever because it's too much effort to walk the small distance to the appropriate spot.

...just cross wherever because it's too much effort to walk the small distance to the appropriate spot.

Ah, don't get me started on people doing things/not doing things because something is "too much effort" - a whole raft of pet peeves there!

When it comes to crossing roads, the real danger these days is the number of younger people who are either listenting to ipods or texting on mobiles and step out into the road without even looking. Scary!

Still on road crossing, it peeves me to see parents crossing the road with children in tow and not waiting until there is clear space to cross safely at a walking pace, but taking a chance with the traffic, running across and dragging said child or children with them. What kind of road safety message is that?

Still on road crossing, it peeves me to see parents crossing the road with children in tow and not waiting until there is clear space to cross safely at a walking pace, but taking a chance with the traffic, running across and dragging said child or children with them. What kind of road safety message is that?

Even worse are the Pram Pelican mothers who launch their pushchair ahead of them into the road in the clear expectation that this creates an automatic crossing.

Ah, don't get me started on people doing things/not doing things because something is "too much effort" - a whole raft of pet peeves there!

I feel we're uncovering a welter of waawo woes.  We should perhaps start charging therapy fees for the benefits of sharing...

;)

Why are so many peeves transport related? I know mine are...

Not so much my peeve, but every evening after work at the moment I get to listen to Lady Gram ranting about how people sitting in those seats on public transport clearly marked for the use of the elderly, infirm or pregnant (she's 21 weeks along at the time of writing and the bump is now quite obvious) rarely, if ever, give them up to members of any of those groups. They stare fixedly at their phone or Metro/Evening Standard (delete according to time of day) - never a book, interestingly - and pretend not to have seen the pregnant woman whose shadow is falling across them. The "Baby On Board" badge fixed to her lapel might as well not be there.

Those that do give up their seat are more often women than men, and more often of an age to have children of their own. I don't want to get onto the thin ice of discussing chivalry and its role in modern society, but it makes me a little ashamed of my gender.       

On a related note, I'm infuriated by those shepherding small children on public transport who will give their child its own seat in a heaving Tube carriage rather than sitting the little darling on their knee. I will be doing my level best not to be that parent.  

Finally, do you really need a very large 4 wheel drive tank to navigate the streets of London?   

Many of my pet peeves are transport related, too, and the #1 is people who get into the fast lane (left lane for us, right lane for you) and then go much slower than the long line of cars behind them would like to go.  They are almost always on their phones, so they don't notice the long line of cars behind them, the huge empty gulf in front of them, or the people passing them on the right and then cutting over in front of them.  I did see a bumper sticker that said, "If I passed you on the right, you are in the wrong lane."  I don't dobumper stickers, but that one was at least tempting.

My other pet peeves have to do with language:  incorrect grammar and word usage.  There's a lot of competition for the number one spot, but I think that my most hated problem is when a word gets used incorrectly so often that it takes on the new, incorrect meaning, which is often as the synonym of an existing word, leaving the sense of the original word without a word and the new meaning with 2 words.  Bryan Garner (for whom I'm sort of a fan girl) calls these skunked terms because the new use seems illiterate to those who know the actual meaning and the old use seems odd to people who think the new use is correct.  Two examples are decimate and fulsome (at least in the U.S.--maybe people have more sense in the U.K.).  Decimate is now skunked into often meaning "obliterate" and "fulsome" is now skunked into often meaning "very full."  The latter is particularly problematic when you hear that someone has received "fulsome praise" because the comment is either very insulting (old use) or very nice (new use).

Also, people who spell "Harriet" with two "t's." 

I feel we're uncovering a welter of waawo woes.  We should perhaps start charging therapy fees for the benefits of sharing...

;)

Would be very profitable for BGO I think!

Current pet transport peeve is people who get all agitated about letting you merge back into a single line of traffic when you are directed to use both lanes at a junction for a particular route by signs... Only because there is a junction like this near my home. At one island/roundabout/traffic circle (delete as internationally appropriate!) there are arrows on the road, left hand lane has left/straight on, right hand lane has right turn only. Always a long queue in the left hand lane, people get understandably annoyed at people ignoring the long traffic queue and then pushing in to the single straight on lane just after the island. Next island, about 0.5km further on, left hand lane has arrows pointing left and straight, right hand lane has arrows pointing right and straight, signs before and at the island saying "use BOTH lanes for straight on", despite this, people get all angry and road-ragey when someone using the right hand lane to go straight on attempts to merge on the other side of the island...

and *breathe* lol

Edited by waawo

Current pet transport peeve is people who get all agitated about letting you merge back into a single line of traffic when you are directed to use both lanes at a junction for a particular route by signs...

Well, fair enough if that's the case, but I have to say one of my biggest annoyances is with a dual carriageway near me which turns into single lane after a roundabout.  This is clearly signposted and most people get into the left hand lane to go straight on.  Others, however, charge up the outside lane and then cut in.

Now strictly speaking this isn't wrong, but it's hugely inconsiderate and also slows traffic flow.  I watched a very interesting programme a few years ago where scientists used the laws of fluid dynamics to analyse traffic flow.  Where everyone merges into one lane well ahead of a narrowing then everything keeps moving at a good speed.  Where people cut in at a late stage you get a massive slowdown in traffic because of the 'brake light multiplier' effect - slight braking causes a magnifying effect the further back you go in heavy traffic.  That explains the hold-ups you get which disappear without any sign of what caused them.

So this really aggravates me.

Another one is the roundabout slightly further on.  This is on a big A road and people coming on to join it at the roundabout have left and right options.  Routinely people use the left hand lane of the joining road in order to turn right at the roundabout, largely to avoid the small queue of right-turning traffic in the right-hand lane.  This annoys me even more than the cutters-in.  One day I might just crack and explode into a horn-blaring, light-flashing frenzy.