As a native of South Florida (and really far south--close to Homestead, which is almost to the Keys), I have eagerly consumed everything that Carl Hiaasen has written.  But I haven't thought his last few books were as good as previous ones, by a long shot, and so I didn't jump to get Bad Monkey as quickly as I normally would have.  Finally, a friend of mine said that this one was a lot closer to the earlier books and she's right.  It was a very fun read.

The story follows Yancy, a demoted Key West detective now performing the truly gross and thankless task of restaurant inspector in the Florida Keys, as he manages to get involved in the investigation of the presumed death of a man whose severed arm was hooked by some tourists on a charter fishing trip in the Keys.  Yancy is also tormenting his next-door neighbor, who clearly deserves it for building a code-violating McMansion on his property, thereby interfering with Yancy's ability to view both the sunset and Key deer that used to visit his property.  The action takes place on the Keys, in Miami, and even on Andros Island in the Bahamas and involves an ever-widening cast of characters that at one point became so confusing that I missed that one of them had been murdered.  But it was all good fun, often laugh-out-loud funny, and always entertaining.  I recommend it to anyone.

But I particularly recommend it to people like me, for whom almost every place he names is familiar (except in the Bahamas--we never went there on the theory that on vacation, you should go someplace different from home, so we always went to the mountains).  My father taught at the Rosenstiel School at the University of Miami, my little brother was born at Baptist hospital, and I've kayaked along the Shark River, walked along Cape Sable, and gone swimming at Venetian Pool.  But even if those places are not familiar to you, I think you will still find the book very entertaining.

I love the half a dozen Hiaasen books I've read too, Binker, and I've never set foot in Florida. His work is rather off-putting, in fact, so I might never do so.

Does Skink appear in Bad Monkey? That would certainly make it more appealing to me. 

No, Skink does not appear.  But there are plenty of strange characters.

He spends a good amount of time discussing the natural beauty of South Florida and the Bahamas, which might make you more inclined to visit those places, which are beautiful.  I think you have to live there to see what he describes and even then, it's an exaggeration.  Mostly.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Val_Grian
      My pen name is Val Grian and lately I published a new book called "Tramps, Thieves and IT". The main two characters of the novel are a smuggler (Alan) and a homeless guy (George). Once accident makes the rag a rich and vice a versa.

In the book you will read about the adventures of Alan and George. The plot is dynamic and there are a lot of original jokes. As a bonus you will also find out what happened to Hitler in hell and what the Devil and the English Queen have in common.

Please feel free to ask me questions and share your opinions about the book in the comments. Have a nice day!

Here's the book link:
      [link removed, please use our banners at the top/bottom of the page]

Please find a taster of the book below:

Alan pulled off a great deal and made a cool forty thousand. What kind of a deal, you may ask? That was a secret. Even Camilla, Alan's girlfriend, was not aware. But I will tell you, dear reader.
      Hmm…on second thought…
      Okay, this morning Alan smuggled a hundred kilograms of select Bolivian cocaine into Florida, taking advantage of its massive coastline and using his boat. Then the Coast Guard stopped him. He could have panicked, but why? The boobs were not even close to finding the secret compartment.
      Where was it? you wonder. Well, I cannot tell you Alan’s secrets right away. He wouldn’t appreciate that too much and he can act a bit, well, irrational at times. He’s prone to pulling an occasional gun, which he keeps under his driver’s seat. Damn, I shouldn’t have blurted that out.
      To move on with it…
      Alan was driving home, humming “Despacito.” His shirtsleeves were rolled up and he glanced into his rearview mirror, liking that look in his blue eyes that came after success. The tune on satellite was catchy and eventually its upbeat mood had him pressing his right leg down full throttle. He was going faster than usual and almost home. Then, just a few blocks away from his house, a tramp crossed the road right in front of him.
      He slammed on the breaks and stared in disbelief. There the tramp was, slowly dragging a cart full of junk across the road. The guy didn’t even care about the screeching breaks. They should have made him jump. But he just kept crossing the road unperturbed, neglecting the huge Cadillac Escalade that was inches away from him.
          “Get out of my way, loser! Chop-chop!” Alan shouted out his window.
          What did the tramp do? He just grinned and kept on moving slowly. When he finally crossed the street, Alan stomped on the gas pedal, muttering a drawn out “Assshooole.”
      You probably think Alan is not very polite. Well, you are right.
          The situation with the tramp was not a big deal, but somehow Alan’s upbeat mood was gone. Some detail in the look of the bum alerted him, and now even the forty thousand that lined his jacket pockets didn’t make him happy.
      A couple minutes later, Alan was in his driveway. He stared at the small but nice home he rented in Fort Lauderdale, near the ocean.
          He walked in and called out. “Baby, I’m home! I’m hungry, what’s for dinner?”
          “Honey, I’m so glad to see you!” Camilla came out to meet him, wearing a smile she kept for special occasions. “I’ve cleaned up the house and I’m exhausted! Can we eat out?” She lowered her head and batted her eyelashes. Then her finger extended to play with the button on his shirt. “Maybe our favorite seafood restaurant?”
          Camilla was lucky, because Alan had a thing for her. She was an “exception.” “Sure, honey. Just let me change.”
          Alan went to his closet and froze when he looked into it. The joy of seeing Camilla became instant panic. He shouted, “Baby, where is my old suitcase?”
          “I tossed that junky thing out with some other stuff,” she shouted back casually. “We should really get you a new one.”
      “What?” he said. His heart was racing. Why would she throw away a locked suitcase?
      She came to the room. “You okay? There was nothing valuable in there, was there?”
      He couldn’t even speak, let alone breathe.
      Alan might as well have been hit on the head with a sledgehammer.
      Then the anger took hold.
      “Bbbb”, Alan’s voice trembled, gradually gaining power. “B-Bitch! What have you done!”
    • By Rincewind
      I was looking through my collection of books the other day looking for something to read and I saw the Falco series by Lindsey Davis that I have and thought to myself I have to finnish the series at some point and then I wondered if there were other books series like them out in the world. If there are I haven't seen them but then I haven't looked so this is try just a random thought lol .

The books are set in ancient Rome where we follow Falco an ex legionnaire turned private investigator who reluctantly works for the Emperor and who lends the books a quirky humor and a the glass is always half full attitude. They are funny and well written and filled with glimpses into what life was like, the author truly did do a lot of research about that time in history and it shows. So yes it is a classic detective story set in Rome and filled with enough twists and turns and intrigue to keep anyone happy lol, so has anyone read these books or something like them and what did you think of them or the idea of outing something that is a modern idea into an ancient setting?
    • By Binker
      Magdalen Nabb wrote 14 books in a detective series featuring Marshal Guarnaccia of the Carabinieri in Florence, Italy.  I just finished the 10th book in the series, the last one to be published in the United States (more on the particular book later).  Marshal Guarnaccia is one of my favorite detectives (I'm smiling as I write this).  He's happily married with 2 sons, but he knows he's not prepossessing (fat with eyes that weep in the sunlight) and thinks he is plodding and not-very-bright.  He thinks he suffers by comparison with almost anyone and never can understand why senior people want him for their investigations.

They want him because he solves crimes.  He is plodding, but in a good way.  He is tenacious--once something occurs to him, he never lets it go.  And eventually, everything occurs to him.  He's very visual in his understanding of what has happened, so that he dreams about events or even thinks about them as a movie, which he thinks is an inferior approach, but everyone else prizes highly.  His insights arise when he notices something missing or unusual and either points it out to the others he's working with or mulls it for long enough that he comes to the brilliant insight himself (which he never thinks is brilliant and offers almost apologetically). The difference between his self-image and reality and the reactions of others is appealingly funny.

An example:  In this most recent book, the Marshal goes to visit an art restorer that is ultimately revealed to be a forger (it's a subplot and happens almost immediately, so I didn't spoiler it).  The art restorer has a very high opinion of himself and a correspondingly low opinion of the Marshal. The restorer shows the Marshal a recent painting by Titian that he was restoring, a painting with which the Marshal is very familiar since his office is in the Pitti Palace (how lucky is that???).  He immediately notices that the painting, which is usually blobby to him until he gets 3 steps away from it, suddenly resolves itself at 4 steps away instead and he can't imagine why that is.  He puzzles over it and puzzles over it and finally makes an off-hand remark to the restorer showing that he's realized there's something different.  The restorer/forger is shocked and says, "I'm afraid you're something of a fraud, Marshal.  You know a great deal more than you like to admit."  The Marshal denies it (because he doesn't think he knows much at all--look how long it took him to figure out what was wrong), but the restorer, everyone who works with the Marshal, and most of all the reader know that he does, in fact, know a great deal more than he thinks he does.

The most recent book I read is called The Monster of Florence and is Nabb's telling of the serial killings in Florence in the 70s and 80s (with the forgery story as a subplot).  It outlines her view of who was responsible.  It's a little veiled probably to prevent being sued for slander, but you can tell who the Marshal thinks it is and apparently it's the same person that a later non-fiction book identified as the likely perpetrator.  Nabb didn't normally do stories based on actual events, so that makes this book unusual.  Having the Marshal solve the problem, though, is not unusual at all.  

Very enjoyable.  Read them in the order they were published if you can.