3) Dashiel "Bad Horse" (Scalped)

4) Jodie (Preacher)

5) The Joker (Batman, Arkham's Asylum)

6) Matty Roth (DMZ)

7) Bode Locke (Locke and Key)

8) Yorick (Y: The Last Man)

9) Frank Castle (Punisher Max)

10) Lobo (various DC)

Other worthy mentions: Arseface (Preacher), Ryuk (Death Note), Deadpool (various)

Ooooooh good topic solace! I'll probably have to come back and edit....

1. Same as you - Jesse Custer from Preacher. Love, love LOVE him.

2. Cassidy - Preacher

3. Rick Grimes - The Walking Dead

4. Hit Girl - Kick Ass

4. Midnighter

5. Frank Castle - Punisher

6. Eben - 30 Days of Night

7. Richard Fell - Fell

8. John Cain - Scars

9. V - V for Vendetta

10. Tyler Locke - Locke & Key

Edited by Hazel

I am reading Locke & Key vol 2 and 3 today so 10. may have a character from that, though Luther Strode is a worthy mention.

This will give me something to think about... I will be back to this thread, at some point.

Included in my list will be...

Hellboy, John Constantine, 'V', Batman (tricky if I have to be writer specific), Hit Girl, (Neil Gaiman's) Death... Swamp Thing would get an honarable mention.

As I said. I will have to ponder this more.

Yeh, Hellboy...can I have a 11.?

After spending the afternoon reading 2 and 3 of Locke & Key, I am going to go for Tyler Locke in a number 10. Goddamn those books are so good, I immediately went and ordered 4 and 5.

I still have 5 to read! Ah the sandman - I need need another spot in my list for Delirium.

As for Jesse Custer, well, he just embodies everything a modern day cowboy should be :)

Sorry to keep gushing on about Custer, but don't you think the eye patch and becoming sheriff made him even cooler? I think the Salvation arc was probably my favourite part of Preacher, that and Jodie and TC's story in Ancient History,

Sorry to keep gushing on about Custer, but don't you think the eye patch and becoming sheriff made him even cooler? I think the Salvation arc was probably my favourite part of Preacher, that and Jodie and TC's story in Ancient History,

Gush away. I love him. Absolutely the eye patch and becoming Sheriff made him cooler (if that was possible). Ancient History was fab. I just can't pick my favourite though - I love anything to do with Jesse's family. I think I like him because he is so singleminded, so utterly cool and just damned likable. I love his devotion to Tulip and his tolerance for Cassidy. The coolest religious garb. I have long wanted a Preacher tattoo - one of the Jesse frames of him lighting a cigarette. Maybe one day.

Thinking about the Sandman some more, I think the remodelled Corinthian needs to be in my list.

I have never read any Sandman at all - no idea where to start! But then I am not a huge Gaiman fan.

I googled preacher tattoos sometime ago, when I was thinking of getting one of the angel of death with two smoking colts. But I'm settled on getting the shadow key now :)

The early sandman books do seem quite dated now, and the first few featured appearances from other DC characters such as Constantine and Martian Manhunter which gave it a more mainstream feel. It's my favourite work by Gaiman, I find the rest of his stuff a little too whimsical (maybe with the exception of American Gods). There is some amazing story telling in some of the volumes - The Dolls House, Season of Mists and The Kindly Ones were the books that stood out for me.

The Dolls House, Season of Mists and The Kindly Ones were the books that stood out for me.

Can you read these as stand-alone?

They do need to be read in order - the main thread takes a bit of a back seat for the first few volumes, but the individual stories all tie in eventually and reference previous events and characters. The order is:

Preludes and nocturnes

The dolls house

Dream country

Season of mists

A game of you

Fables and reflections

Brief lives

World's end

The kindly ones

The wake

I believe there were a few one shot books after the main series, but I haven't read any of them. There were also spin off books for the Death and Lucifer characters. Of the above, Dream Country and World's End are probably the weakest, but still readable. The other volumes more than make up for it.

I can heartily reccomend the Sandman run. Some of the very best comic storytelling (IMHO).

Preludes and Nocturnes is a bit of a mixed bag, The introduction of the premise is well done, but the mixture of other DC properites waters it down a little (even though I liked the Constantine cameo). Doll's house is a proper long story arc, and where the series really gets a grounding. I've read all the way through to 'The Kindly Ones' and have ben swept along. SOme of my favourite stories are the short stand alones, but the whole premise of 'The Endless' is worth the effort alone.

I've avoided Preacher so far... sounds like I might be missing out. Is there a particular place to start or any sort of order? Is it a long series (how much will my interest cost me?) :)

Reading this thread makes me realise how much comic books have passed me by. I read a Stephen King book illustrated by (from memory, Berni Wrightson possibly?); I've read a couple of Posy Simmonds' books; and I have Watchmen sitting on the shelf, unread, bought after seeing the film. Other than that, nothing. Am I culturally deprived? (Shameless opinion seeking question!)

Hi Waawo,
As an introduction to the narrative form, Watchmen is a good start. As for being 'culturally deprived' probably not. Comics are simply another way of telling a story. To me they are the same as prose novels and films. The stories within them have a stereotype of being flippant or throw-away (a lot of the 'superhero' books could be considered this way, even though there is a lot more depth there now, as well). However, if you look hard there are great stories to be found. There are even comics that can be considered 'literature' and important. Art Spiegelman's Maus, is a stark and disturbing account of the Holocaust told using an anthropomorphic device depicting the Jews as mice and the Nazi's as cats. Chris Ware's book 'Jimmy Corrigan, the smartest kid on earth' is a beautifully rendered and told story of a boy's reconnection with his estranged father.

Yes there are a lot of 'light stories that have been told as well, but comics have a habit of being portrayed as a one trick pony of 'funny pages' and geeky stories. As with any other narrative form there is a huge expanse of variety. At the end of it all it's just a different way to tell a story, a way I believe can be very effective and immersive.

As an introduction to the narrative form, Watchmen is a good start. 

Thanks for your comments. In that case, I may move Watchmen from the "nominal TBR" pile to the "actual TBR pile"... ;)

If the Pop Superhero element is off putting, there are many alternatives - as mentioned above, Maus, Persepolis, Watchmen and Scalped are definitely worth a look. The Locke and Key series mentioned in this thread is written by Joe Hill (son of Stephen King) and whilst the artwork looks very 'comicy' the story is one of the best I've read in the last few years. Warren Ellis has written some great books, Fell, Scars and transmetropolitan immediately springing to mind. His non graphic novel Crooked Little Vein is also pretty good, though bear in mind it's like a perverse warped mirror of the film National Treasure.

I've avoided Preacher so far... sounds like I might be missing out. Is there a particular place to start or any sort of order? Is it a long series (how much will my interest cost me?) :)

It is a continuous story so start with Gone to Texas and there is 9 volumes...as far as I recall. It's very violent, very crude, very sweary (would you expect anything less from Garth Ennis?) but absolutely fantastic.

I think I will try Preludes and Nocturnes and see what happens.