HmmIt'sABoyReader

What is the best environment to be reading in?

I know you guys might have different opinions, but this is just a normal conversation on whether what you think is the best reading environment.

I like my reading environments to be a nice quiet area, with me being relaxed and in a nice comfterable chair, or my bed. I love nobody to disturb me, and usually to have a glass of water by my side.

I don't like to be in loud environments, as it makes my find focus on many different things. Loud people are not suited for my type of reading style, and especially screaming children.

Post about what you like your reading environments to be :)

It'll change when you have your own family. As a reading teen, I read in bed - nice and quiet, no disturbances. Now I still read in bed at night but I can also be found reading with 1 boy shouting as he plays xBox and the other screaming while he plays football. And a hubby shouting at the TV. You learn to shut it all out and concentrate on the words. Of course, if it's a really good book then it's not difficult at all.

I used to be an "any time, any place" sort of reader, but nowadays it's any place except at home.

I fall asleep if I try to read in bed, and anywhere else in the house I can't settle to read because I can always see chores that are waiting to be done.

Today i went to the park and sat on a bench near some play equipment with kids and mums all having a noisy happy time and read a couple of chapters of my current book. Earlier in the week I had shopping to do and chose to go to a town half an hour's bus ride away, so that I had reading time on my way there and back. I often read in a café or restaurant while waiting for my food/drink to arrive - and make a drink last until I've reached the end of a chapter. The chatter of other customers doesn't bother me.

I've never read in bed as I find that uncomfortable but I do read in my living room - most of the time - and I can do that whilst excluding all other noise (you'd be surprised how noisy our house is).  I don't mind being disturbed unless it's often but otherwise I'm fine.  As Hazel says, you learn to concentrate on the book, if I hadn't I'd never get any reading done.

God, I certaintly do hope that I do learn to concentrate even more. Not concentrating on a book is like not knowing where you are for me, and I just absolutlely , I've already tried several times to focus upstairs whilst all of the racket is going on downstairs.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Reading in bed as you get older is hard work. I tend to lie on my right side and hold the book from the top with my right hand. After a while my shoulder aches and it is very difficult to get my hand to unfurl. Years of doing that mean that every so often my shoulder freezes up and can be very painful. I try to lie in different positions but none feel right. But I like reading in bed, in fact, I've done it every night since I was young and it's the only way I can fall asleep now. Even if it's just one page, I have to read before going to sleep.

The sound of my book hitting the floor as I nod off and my grasp loosens always jolts me awake again. It's very annoying. ;)

:D That happens to me too - it gives me quite a fright. But usually I pick it up and carry on or I know to give in to sleep!

I used to read every night in bed, I sometimes do when the book has so much chaos and amazingness in it, but now it just seems that I can't, I'm just getting to tired. So now when I read, I usually read in the daytime (whenever I can't be distracted) and I can read so much in so little time. It's amazing :P

when the book has so much chaos and amazingness in it,

I wish all my reading material contained "chaos and amazingness". I only get that when I read comics and for my sanity I have to intersperse them with real books!

One of my friends always read in bed and she showed me her reading glasses, they were all twisted in their frame, she would fall asleep with the glasses on and they got the worst of the bargain.  I've tried reading in bed but it hurts my neck now - I used to read in bed when I was a youngster, even did the flashlight under the bedclothes bit but now I read only when sitting in my big easy chair - hubby takes himself off downstairs to watch the baseball on the other tv and I have blessed peacefulness in the living room. :)

My favourite place for reading is in bed.  I have managed, over the years to work out a way to half lay/half sit and read for hours, by means of several pillows at different angles.  I just cannot read laying down on my side.  Have to admit I also invested in a bedside light that has a 'daylight' bulb in it so that helps my failing eyesight.  The fact that the bedroom looks like a football stadium with the floodlights on means it's a bit garish, but since MOH and I both read at night it suits our lifestyle. 

Other than bed, I also have to read in a quiet place.  I can read a newspaper if there is music or television on, but really I like quiet.  I love the idea of going into the park Meg.  Well done HR for trying to find your best place even in a noisy home.

When I was young I generally tended to read in bed at night, but nowadays if I did that I'd be asleep in seconds. Also my husband is not a book lover and a light sleeper so I am doubting that he would be too impressed with me reading a book in bed with the bedside lamp on!

I read a work in the canteen when I am on my lunchbreak, and I read at home on the sofa whenever I get the time and chance to, I have to say, though I can read anywhere, I tune out everything thats going on around me and get absorbed by my book.  I have been known on many occasions to get so into what I am reading that the family has all gone to bed and left me and I have only realised this when I have finished the book and its either the middle of the night or sometimes if it was a really good book time to be getting up again.  I have only done all nighters a couple of times, and it has to be a REALLY good book for me to forego sleep.

Edited by Apple

I tune out everything thats going on around me and get absorbed by my book. 

I did on one occasion, on a bus, get so absorbed in a book that I didn't notice when we drove through my village, and only surfaced four stops out the other side.

:dunce:

The sound of my book hitting the floor as I nod off and my grasp loosens always jolts me awake again. It's very annoying. ;)

:D That happens to me too - it gives me quite a fright. But usually I pick it up and carry on or I know to give in to sleep!

So glad I'm not alone in this...flowers1.gif

I wrote in another thread that I'm an early riser and love to read in the early morning when this part of the world and the house is quiet.  I open the windows downstairs (even in winter) and sit in the diningroom eating my breakfast with my book.  Birdsong is always welcome.  It's only in recent years that doing this has become a regular activity.  Reading any other time depends on the day, my mood and general household goings-on.

At the start of the summer holidays, I acquired a lovely armchair which sits at my patio windows. This is where I have been reading for most of the summer. The best thing about it is that I have my back to the rest of the house, so I'm not reminded of all the jobs I should be doing!

My husband hogs my triangular reader pillow so I read in the bath instead.  I've got a bath pillow, a book rest, a towel within reach so i can dry my fingers if necessary and taps you can turn on with your toes.  Bliss.

I have my back to the rest of the house, so I'm not reminded of all the jobs I should be doing!

There's just as much to do in my garden as there is inside the house :(

At the start of the summer holidays, I acquired a lovely armchair which sits at my patio windows. This is where I have been reading for most of the summer. The best thing about it is that I have my back to the rest of the house, so I'm not reminded of all the jobs I should be doing!

Now that sounds ideal, MM

Surprisingly, I'm doing most of my reading while walking to and from work. I've never been much for reading while walking until starting this new job, which I walk just over a mile to. I think because it's on quiet streets, footpaths and other places where I'm not concerned with being run over the way I used to be in the City, it's more conducive. Except in the rain of course!

Edited by waawo

Surprisingly, I'm doing most of my reading while walking to and from work. I've never been much for reading while walking until starting this new job, which I walk just over a mile to. I think because it's on quiet streets, footpaths and other places where I'm not concerned with being run over the way I used to be in the City, it's more conducive. Except in the rain of course!

Are you using audible books, Waawo?  

Nope, mostly my Kindle with the font set quite large, so I can read it without staring too intently.

I don't think I'd try this on paths with many other people about, I'm sure it would be a bit dangerous!

My ideal reading environment has to be somewhere quiet and comfortable with a nice hot chocolate next to me. Sometimes I will walk around and do things while reading I am surprised I can actually do things while reading.

Read on public transport, love those little half hours.Bedtime a big one one for me,

Edited by Clavain