Sign in to follow this  
tagesmann

BGO Book Group Discussion

The current version of the BGO Book Group has been running for a couple of years without any big changes. I thought it might be time to have an open discussion forum where people can make suggestions and discuss the Book Group.

What do you see as possible changes Tag?  Or do you want suggestions from the rest of us? 

It might be an option to run several reads concurrently? So we could have a fantasy one for those of us who read fantasy with the 'main' one also running.

That seems like a good idea, say a fantasy, a classic and a modern novel, or some other combination but a little choice of genres.  Members could read all or some or whatever they thought would be of most interest.

Another possibility could be a quick lightweight  read and also a second longer more substantial book.

I think with membership and participation at the levels they are, multiple simultaneous reads would risk having reads with only 3 or 4 people taking part and that doesn't help discussion, which is really what we're aiming for.

I think with membership and participation at the levels they are, multiple simultaneous reads would risk having reads with only 3 or 4 people taking part and that doesn't help discussion, which is really what we're aiming for.

Why not just have two reads? I would appreciate a choice.  Maybe, as Grasshopper has said, different genres or have the top two in the same vote being taken up, it has been very close in the past? Some of you might want to read both. 

Personally though there are certain genres I'll never read though.

I agree,  because I actively dislike certain subject matter and some particular genres, so I never expect to join in all the group reads, but there is so much else going on anyway.

We could all start "guerrilla" group-reads by jumping on the "just bought/borrowed/acquired" and "currently reading" threads and jumping on what somebody else is reading right now! ;)

:yup: 

We could all start "guerrilla" group-reads by jumping on the "just bought/borrowed/acquired" and "currently reading" threads and jumping on what somebody else is reading right now! ;)

Brilliant :clap:

We actually have mini group reads all the time, all over BGO, don't we? :)

I see that the first and second 2014 Reads are both up & running at the same time - or are they ?

Is anyone actually taking part in the first (the cookery/food/fiction/non-fiction "theme")?

I am reading The Mistress of Spices  by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.  Currently almost half way through.  Have not made any comments yet.  Thought I would wait until I had finished it.

Glad to hear that - It wasn't clear that anything was happening with that 'read', whereas several people have said they are starting the next one.

My bad Meg.

I promised to put the food read up and forgot. Then the Wallace Stegner read was ready to start sooner than expected.