tagesmann

Themes for future book group reads.

I'll second 21st Century and prettyx3 please some author with a touch of humour in his work and not too much deep and meaningful?

Sounds like a call to read some P G Wodehouse or Douglas Adams.

I can understand your viewpoint, grasshopper, but (playing devil's advocate) If the choice isn't too deep and meaningful can participants in the read be sure there will be much to discuss?

I can understand your viewpoint, grasshopper, but (playing devil's advocate) If the choice isn't too deep and meaningful can participants in the read be sure there will be much to discuss?

I am only a humble newbie, who has only just scratched the surface of this extraordinary community, so I hope you won't think me presumptuous, but I had to smile at your comment Grammath because it seems to me that it would take very little indeed to get members of BGO discussing anything - in great depth - and what is more - taking us down pathways as yet uncharted, where there could well be dragons! 

I am only a humble newbie, who has only just scratched the surface of this extraordinary community, so I hope you won't think me presumptuous, but I had to smile at your comment Grammath because it seems to me that it would take very little indeed to get members of BGO discussing anything - in great depth - and what is more - taking us down pathways as yet uncharted, where there could well be dragons! 

Ha, ha, ha, yer not wrong there!

Sounds like a call to read some P G Wodehouse or Douglas Adams.

You are right Grammath, that comment was a reaction to Orlando. :naughty:   I have been trying to think of a book or author to fit my request and have so far been unsuccessful, other than perhaps John Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation, a 21C rewrite of Sci Fi classic Little Fuzzy by H Beam Piper.  Irecognise though that Sci Fi is not overly popular here, although this book is only mildly technical.

Personally I hope  no P G Wodehouse work is ever used as a group read, to try and analyse his work would spoil the joy and I know he is a ' love it or hate it' author .

:lmao: Good comment! Isn't it wonderful how much discussion Orlando has generated?  And still going on.....

Personally I hope  no P G Wodehouse work is ever used as a group read, to try and analyse his work would spoil the joy and I know he is a ' love it or hate it' author .

I agree. 

What we have to do is to settle - eventually - on one book that we all read (or don't read).  Topics like biography or cookbooks or Sherlock Holmes need refining so that we all read as the cliche has it 'from the same hymn sheet.'  This is the difficulty of the 'topic' as opposed to the 'book' approach. I would suggest Sequels as a stimulating topic, but that means reading at least two books.

I would suggest Sequels as a stimulating topic, but that means reading at least two books.

That could always be a two-month project (if the books were not too long), with comments on both.

I don't really mind what is chosen actually. The fact that somebody chooses it for me gives a chance of experiencing unknown areas. Watch it be something I've already read now!

Hmmm.   Not too sure about two books, what if the first one is a bit of a challenge to get through then you have to wade through similar.  I know, I know, that's negative thinking - just ignore me.   :)

Hello everyone.

I'm sorry I have left this alone for so long.

Themes for the next few BGO Book Group will be (in order):

Sherlock Holmes

Cookery

A chosen author (2 part vote)

Humour

21st Century

Biography

Further suggestions are always welcome. As is a challenge to my order (or anything else I do).

Looks good Tag, especially the humour one, always like something to smile about!  :)

Not sure about cookery but will wait and see. How about science fiction? There's a lot there and I'd like to explore further, similarly Noir of some kind, crime I think. Can we read an example of these? Or something translated?

Edited by lunababymoonchild

A cookery theme sounded good fun but would probably be unfair to those in BGO who don't particularly enjoy cooking and also unfair to expect people to actually buy a cookbook they may not choose to use again.  

In this respect perhaps some of us could start or continue  our own particular discussions in the Food and Drink section.  For example we could have particular Ottolenghi  thread or collection of threads as there are several of us that already actually have one or other of those particular books.  Mr HG is doing a sterling job of giving us mouth watering reports on recipes from  'Jerusalem' and maybe we could contribute in the same way, spread over time and much tasting.   

I enjoy Sherlock Holmes but there are only four full length SH novels to choose from - we could go for a Complete Collection but that may be an overdose of the pernickety old boy and his long suffering friend. :)

Overall though I am happy to go with any of the other themes or whatever is chosen unless it is very Noir.

Edit.    just found that Sherlock was the theme - great fun. Don't mind what is chosen.

Edited by grasshopper

The death of Elizabeth Jane Howard today reminded me how many writers we have lost in the past year

Maybe we could choose a book by one of those for a group reads this coming year

Here's a list of names I've found just on our RIP thread:

Dick King-Smith
James Herbert
Chinua Achebe
Tom Sharpe
Iain Banks
Vince Flynn
Richard Matheson
John Graves
Elmore Leonard
Tom Clancy
Doris Lessing
Elizabeth Jane Howard.
Seamus Heaney
David Frost

Have read many by Tom Clancy and almost all of Vince Flynn's - they are thrillers /action type books but maybe wouldn't suit all tastes. They certainly would be fine with me, a few of Clancy's have been made into exciting movies, probably one of the best was The Hunt for Red October.

James Herbert is dead?  Wow.  Haven't read any of his for a long time and would be happy to do so again.  I possess I am Legend by Richard Matheson and Beowulf by Seamus Heany but would be happy to explore any of the others too.

Bring it on!

This thread is just to suggest themes for future reads, not to choose a book/author now. I think the next is going to be Cookbook s-  when everyone's finished commenting on the Holmes stories.

Any more suggestions for future themes, while we're on the subject?

Our membership is now becoming quite international, as another idea for a theme,  how about suggestions from non-UK members of (English language/translated) books by popular authors local to their neck of the woods, but little known in the UK

I like both of those ideas Meg and will add them to the list.

I've allowed the Sherlock Holmes read to go on a bit because it has been so successful.

I'll put something up soon.

Well, if we went for a non-UK book, Dan and I think Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner would be a great idea.  I think it would meet Meg's standard of not being well-known outside the U.S.  I think we floated the idea of doing Lonesome Dove and everyone was a bit nervous about the length (justifiably so) or I would nominate it.

I realize you haven't asked for specific nominations.  But I couldn't resist and roped Dan in.

Well, if we went for a non-UK book, Dan and I think Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner would be a great idea.  I think it would meet Meg's standard of not being well-known outside the U.S.  I think we floated the idea of doing Lonesome Dove and everyone was a bit nervous about the length (justifiably so) or I would nominate it.

I realize you haven't asked for specific nominations.  But I couldn't resist and roped Dan in.

If we choose an overseas author I would gladly support Wallace Stegner, it is our loss that he is not well known outside the U.S.

If we choose an overseas author I would gladly support Wallace Stegner, it is our loss that he is not well known outside the U.S.

I have to admit I have never heard of Wallace Stegner but I am willing to give it a go if one is chosen. I am always happy to read books on recommendation - I often find new authors this way, one of my main reasons for joining BGO in the first pkace.