David

Tagging

Thanks Meg, Ting, Luna and Barblue:  I'm so glad there are others sort of in the same boat.  Loved the 'trial and (t)error' phrase Ting.  I've been out of the work force for over ten years now so anything that I might have picked up in computers had I still been in the office has bypassed me.  Liked your "clouds are above my head' Meg, so appropriate.  Our son, who lives in Yellowknife, is handy with all the cyber stuff and when he was here he gave me lightning instructions with regard to my IPad, all of which whizzed by so fast I didn't catch any of it, changed my password on a couple of 'apps' and it wasn't noted any place so had to go in and muddle my way through changing the password again.

We had to go digital with our tv and that was quite an experience, we must have phoned the help line about 20 times in the first couple of weeks.  Hubby still doesn't know how to program the PVR (the thingy that records programs).  He also has trouble with the pre-programmed numbers on our moveable phone and now has called one of our friends a couple of times in error  when he's been trying to reach our daughter at work.

Life has certainly become more complicated with all of these 'helpful' changes. :dunno:

Have seen a few mentions of "clouds" in the last few posts. In the context of "tag clouds", the "cloud" is just a graphical representation of the tags available in a community or system, usually to give some quick idea of the most popular tags.

There's already a tag cloud of sorts on the front page of BGO, under the heading "Popular Tags". Although this one doesn't look much like a cloud! Here the boldness of the text indicates how many threads are tagged with that tag: so Garth Ennis has 28 threads (dark font), Neil Gaiman 18 (medium font), and Joyce Carol Oates 8 (light font).

A more usual style is for the font size to be changed so that bigger font equals more popular tag. And the tags are often arranged in something more like a cloud shape, hence the name. I'm finding it hard to describe, have a look at this link for an example!

http://www.nichemodern.com/blog/modern-lighting-tag-cloud/tag-cloud-of-the-week/

Yes, it does look like a cloud now that you've pointed it out Waawo.  Sort of a 'storage cloud'.  Will get the hang of the techie stuff eventually (ever hopeful).  :)

There's already a tag cloud of sorts on the front page of BGO, under the heading "Popular Tags". Although this one doesn't look much like a cloud!

Pants, isn't it?  This was one of my failed missions.  I tried to install a hook to create a proper 3D tag cloud, which animated when you hovered over it, but it turns out it's not been upgraded to support the latest version of IP Board, which we're running, so it didn't work.  At the moment I haven't been able to find any other alternatives, though I've asked our developer if he knows of any.

but it turns out it's not been upgraded to support the latest version of IP Board, which we're running, so it didn't work.  At the moment I haven't been able to find any other alternatives, though I've asked our developer if he knows of any.

Yeah IPB I'm sure will improve massively and quickly with respect to tagging. Even that one that's there now is better than nothing for people who like to browse the content rather than search :)

Yeah IPB I'm sure will improve massively and quickly with respect to tagging. Even that one that's there now is better than nothing for people who like to browse the content rather than search :)

Oh I love that we've got it, and I'm sure it will help engage people with older threads as they click on a name out of curiosity.  I just wish it didn't look like it was asking for its sandcastle to be kicked in its face.

I'm very sure the next version of IPB will be much better in relation to tagging - it's still quite a new innovation for them.

When you start a new thread, you enter the title of the book in the Topic Title space. Then, you enter the author's name in the Topic Tag bar and click the box that says "use first tag as prefix". If you want, you can add other tags too (e.g. location, type of fiction, etc) by putting a comma after each one. But you must put the author first and click that box - otherwise you are creating work for the moderators.

For searching, you would have to click on the cogwheel next to the search bar in the to right hand corner of the homepage, enter the tag you want to search for in the Find Tags box, and then click the Search Now button. Hopefully in time there will be a "search for tag" box on the main page.

Thanks for that, got it now.  Doesn't work for Elizabeth Kostova, though.

Doesn't work for Elizabeth Kostova, though.

Hmmmm.  No, it doesn't.  How odd.  If anyone finds this with other authors, please let me know.

Fixed - by deleting the original tag and unchecking the prefix box, then entering them again.

And there's you pretending you don't understand the techie stuff!  Putting us all to shame in style!  Thanks, meg!

Meg raised an important issue about prefixes after one appeared in Anything But Books.  I think we need to keep prefixes just for authors of specific books (or bodies of work) in the various book forums.  Look at prefixes just as a replacement for the author name that you would have put in a title if we weren't using this system.