Keep Subscribers? You Decide

David

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the Subscribers Group with a small, one-off donation?

• Yes
    • No

Discussion in this thread has produced different opinions about the Subscriber group.  You can see the arguments in that thread.

Since there's no longer a need for subscriptions I thought the member group was no longer appropriate, but a number of people have suggested they'd quite like it to stay.

In terms of money, whilst we don't need it (or shouldn't, assuming current Amazon usage remains the same) we could always do something positive with it.  And whilst I pointed out there's no guarantee we'd be able to offer something in return for the donation, we could make it clear that becoming a subscriber is simply supporting the group.

I don't want to go back to making avatars a benefit of subscribing.

The subscription would be as before - a small one-off donation of £10.

So, place your vote!

Is that a one- off donation by new members who want to join the group or by everybody?

If you've already subscribed then you're a subscriber.  It's about deciding how new people get into the existing group which we hope to provide with privileges in the future.

I don't like asking for money for people joining the forum, I think that would be a bit off-putting - unless it is asked for on a volunteer basis.  I think if I was asked for money to join a forum when I didn't know whether or not I want to stay in it isn't a good idea.  If at some point we need to raise money then ask the then membership if they could chip in.

I don't like asking for money for people joining the forum, I think that would be a bit off-putting - unless it is asked for on a volunteer basis.  I think if I was asked for money to join a forum when I didn't know whether or not I want to stay in it isn't a good idea.

momac - I think like the old board, you could join, post etc: subscribing would be a voluntary thing. The main benefit, as I understand it, would be that it would qualify you to enjoy offers and freebies. (Is that right?)

I have thought about this and decided I like it. I think it makes us look serious and committed - and stops us being overrun with freeloaders when Penguin start giving us each ten free books a month for being fabulous. :P  

I don't like asking for money for people joining the forum, I think that would be a bit off-putting - unless it is asked for on a volunteer basis.  I think if I was asked for money to join a forum when I didn't know whether or not I want to stay in it isn't a good idea.  If at some point we need to raise money then ask the then membership if they could chip in.

No, that isn't how it would work, momac.

What I'm asking is if we want to keep things exactly the same as they always were.  Anyone can join - it's free, as it always has been.  But we had another user group called Subscribers - you joined it yourself by donating money.  This group had the privilege of having an avatar, but before you joined it used to have other benefits, such as participating in the Canongate Read, where free books were given to subscribers.

We have been discussing whether we want to keep this Subscriber group - which I hope to offer new privileges to over time - just for people who donate money to join the Subscriber group, or whether we make it a group you can join simply by having made a certain number of posts.

So 'yes' for keeping the Subscriber group the same as it is - you join it by making a donation - or 'no' for opening this group to anyone who makes, say, 100 posts.  Whatever the answer, anyone will be able to join the site free of charge.

Obviously I've missed the fine points of Subscriber or not Subscriber, certainly I'd go along with the majority who decide that it's a good idea.  I had no idea that there were, at times, freebies offered, I must have missed that information and I can understand that some people would be able to cash in on the gifts if they hadn't previously chipped in if there was no subscriber function which hardly seems fair to the others.  So whatever works is fine with me. :mellow:  

Anyone can join - it's free, as it always has been.  But we had another user group called Subscribers <snip>

...it used to have other benefits, such as participating in the Canongate Read, where free books were given to subscribers.

We have been discussing whether we want to keep this Subscriber group - which I hope to offer new privileges to over time <snip>

...So 'yes' for keeping the Subscriber group the same as it is - you join it by making a donation - or 'no' for opening this group to anyone who makes, say, 100 posts.  Whatever the answer, anyone will be able to join the site free of charge.

At the moment there are no benefits available for subscribers so presumably, if payment is to be involved, this member group will not be opened to new members until we have something to offer them?

At the moment there are no benefits available for subscribers so presumably, if payment is to be involved, this member group will not be opened to new members until we have something to offer them?

Nope, if you look back to the opening post, meg, you'll see I explain that we would make it clear to anyone wanting to join this group that it is simply to support the group.

Nope, if you look back to the opening post, meg, you'll see I explain that we would make it clear to anyone wanting to join this group that it is simply to support the group.

Oh, I'd forgotten that - I said my short-term memory is hopeless.

What I actually was remembering was that most of the book offers we had in the past were not available to overseas members, so some get benefits not open to other paid up subscribers.

I just want it to be fair to all.

What I actually was remembering was that most of the book offers we had in the past were not available to overseas members, so some get benefits not open to other paid up subscribers.

I just want it to be fair to all.

Yes, that's very true - which is why if there were payments we'd have to say it's a group designed to support the site rather than one entitling people to things.  Though of course if people are simply in that group automatically by virtue of post count then this isn't an issue - you haven't parted with anything so you haven't lost out.

Obviously my initial thinking was to do away with payment, but too many people seemed to think it would be a good idea to keep it, plus there were degrees of unease about the alternatives, so that's why I'm having the poll.  Before people vote they should probably look back through the thread linked to above to feel clear about the issues.

I'm not happy to have a subscribers group if any benefits that might be offered are not available to all paid-up members, so I am voting against a subscription.

I must be honest, I'm having a real problem seeing why people aren't getting this.  That's not the situation at all, meg.

The subscribers group already exists.  In it are all paid up members.  Any benefits we have in future will be available to this group.  We're now trying to decide how new members from this point on join that group of subscribers, alongside the existing paid members.

We either let them in by them doing the same as subscribers have done all along - pay a small, one-off subscription fee - or we let them in my building up a certain number of posts - because we no longer actually need that money.

This whole discussion began because we can't continue to have a group called 'Subscribers' if people no longer subscribe, which was the direction I was setting.  However, various people said they still wanted to have subscribers.  Hence the poll.

A 'yes' vote says we leave the situation exactly as it's been for years.  A no vote says we open the subscribers group to people on post count rather than paying money - and rename it.  The people already in that group because they paid money are still in it and still get any benefits coming to that group.

The subscribers group already exists.  In it are all paid up members.  Any benefits we have in future will be available to this group.  We're now trying to decide how new members from this point on join that group of subscribers, alongside the existing paid members.

Playing devil's advocate, I think meg is referring to the overseas members who are subscribers who couldn't get the free books because Canongate wouldn't send overseas. That part of the whole subscriber thing isn't fair.

Playing devil's advocate, I think meg is referring to the overseas members who are subscribers who couldn't get the free books because Canongate wouldn't send overseas. That part of the whole subscriber thing isn't fair.

I wouldn't worry about that. We're well used to not having access to quite everything on the web - and we do have sunshine to compensate!

I wouldn't worry about that. We're well used to not having access to quite everything on the web - and we do have sunshine to compensate!

Have you not seen the weather reports? The UK can rival Australia for sun!

For about 5 minutes.

Right, yes I see that now.  My apologies, meg - it was late and I think my mind had been locked into a certain way of thinking by that point!

That was certainly a point of frustration with the offers, I agree.

I think it would be wrong to make too strong a link between subscribing and offers. Ultimately, subscribing is about feeling part of a community and wanting to help it prosper. In my mind, it doesn't have a tangible reward.

If offers come along - and there's no expectation that they will - then they may not be available to everyone or appealing to everyone. That's OK. All the suggestion is, is that new or silent members or those who have not chipped in a tenner (which is not a lot for most people who have internet access) should not be able to take up offers even if they are otherwise eligible.

7-6 in favour at the moment.  I think I'll close this at 7.00pm this evening - I really want to press on with things and get an email out, but I'd like this sorted before then.

It's worth noting I haven't voted.  If there's a tie then I'll have a more genuine casting vote.

Seeing as I had previously been unaware that there was such a thing as 'freebies' I can quite happily live with not having them available to me so for me it's not an issue - I had been worried about asking for a 'joining' fee and that wasn't the case so whatever is the majority decision works for me.

Thank you, Hazel. Yes, that's what I was trying to say.