Member Groups

David

MM Is perfectly entitled to voice her opinion and it's perfectly valid. What we take as insensitive or offensive is personal to us and quite frankly, isn't anyone else's business to attack.

Thanks Hazel. Looking back at my post, I sound strangely apologetic for my opinion: I don't know why, as the thread is about gathering opinions. I just felt it was an idea that was taking off and I was uncomfortable with it.

I suppose this flags up is that, if we choose a title for this or any group, it should be something that everyone is happy with. If it's a group which others may join later, then we need to be very careful to think about how that title might come across to future members.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok just read the remaining posts, it seems the subscription option isn't in favour :-)

Well, Cassie, quite a few people have said they wouldn't mind and also expressed doubts about other means of gaining entry to the group which has been subscribers-only up until now.  So I've decided to put it to the vote.

Everyone can cast their vote here.

Thanks Hazel. Looking back at my post, I sound strangely apologetic for my opinion: I don't know why, as the thread is about gathering opinions. I just felt it was an idea that was taking off and I was uncomfortable with it.

No problem MM, you were absolutely right to voice your opinion. It was never a name that would have been considered anyway because of the book blog, but that's not the point.

Oh good grief! I've been related to people - now dead - with serious mental health problems and I've had a few challenges myself and I don't think that it's insensitive. You know there's only so far that we can go to be inclusive before it renders absolutely everything useless. Nobody has objected and we can't really take members' friends into consideration can we?

I don't want to go on about this since it's off topic but reading my post above I come across as attacking - I realise now - and for that I apologise unreservedly. As stated, serious mental health issues were and still are a part of my life and, as a family, we didn't have the time to be particular about terminology, much less have the energy. Clearly it's still a soapbox of mine and that would be my problem.

I thought the original suggestion was both funny and apt and have clearly forgotten that serious mental health issues can be shocking and frightening.

• 3 weeks later...

May I suggest a "A Bookworm of the Month" whereby a member is chosen at random for a treat, however, there are conditions; post-count of say 1000, but in the sections related to books only.  It may seem high, but this may sort the wheat-from-the-chaff(?).

It's open to all members who participate on the forum, but should life get in the (as it does) a courteous email to say they won't be around for a while due to (........).