Minor Reorganisation

David

I'd like to re-order things slightly on the homepage.  Many new members in the past have felt a little bewildered when they've jumped into BGO - there is, after all, a lot to navigate!  So I'd like to follow a pattern I see on a lot of sites which I think makes sense.  The first section on the board would be an administrative one.  This sets out what people want and need to know about the board and is also an important place for dealing with details for existing members with problems or when changes are discussed.

I would move Site News & Support up there and also move things out of Central Library which are to do with the board's operation as well as welcoming people.  So the Introductions thread and the thread for new members to read would be put there - thereby reducing the stuck threads in Central Library, which I know are too numerous.

I've wanted to do something like this for a long time, but the previous board didn't allow me to do something as major as that (at least not without paying the old host to do it).

Is everyone okay with that?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions about other changes in the board's organisation, please do share.

...Bearing in mind that at the moment I'm still waiting to hear about the author indexes and if we retain them I don't think we can merge 20th and 21st century fiction.  Just thought I'd save us going down that route fruitlessly...  ;)

Subscriber's Area - is it still going to be called that? Will there still be subscribers?

That's tomorrow's question!  :ssh:

Still plenty of things for us to think about, but if we'd tried to deal with them all at once it would make for chaos.

Coo!  You didn't waste much time, did you?

I like the results

:)

Glad you like it, meg!  Obviously it comes alongside a massive change in the board, but it's the first significant change we've had in our organisation for many years, so I wasn't sure how that would go down.

I didn't hang around, no.  I want the board to be working as well as possible - and looking fresh - before I send out an email to old members encouraging them back.

Anyway, obviously the main informative threads are locked - they're not intended for replies - but please feel free to comment on the content.  I did feel it was important to honour the contribution of Partners, as well as the role Bill played in our history.

Anything you decide is fine with me David.  I've just logged on to BGO for the first time since Monday and I can hardly believe my eyes - all looking so spiffy!  Thanks to all of those involved with the hard work, I'm delighted that it's all working out so well.  This was only meant to be a flying visit but there are three pages of new posts since my last visit...!

Anything you decide is fine with me David.

Aw that's good to know.  Thanks Jen.

So if no one else objects, then, that's the £20 BGO tax on avatars with tigers in them approved...

I've just logged on to BGO for the first time since Monday and I can hardly believe my eyes - all looking so spiffy!  Thanks to all of those involved with the hard work, I'm delighted that it's all working out so well.  This was only meant to be a flying visit but there are three pages of new posts since my last visit...!

Joking aside, I'm glad you like it.  And it's been very busy indeed, you're right.  I hope this is the start of a whole new dawn for BGO, getting us back to the lively place we once were.