Is It Ok To Take Your Shoes Off At Work?

tagesmann

My reaction is no, it's not ok, especially if you wore socks and shoes getting into work. But then lots of ladies wear sandals and flip-flops...but their feet don't really get smelly.

Feet are fairly disgusting. Keep them hidden unless you pedicure and paint toenails.

i say no but then again my boss would give out about it being unprofessional. Also, i do share the office with 3 other people so it would be out of consideration to them (I wouldn't want them to do it so I won't do it)

Feet are fairly disgusting. Keep them hidden unless you pedicure and paint toenails.

Thank goodness I got them done!  (Day-glo orange on the big toes - quite fetching, I think!)

Well, I'm barefoot in the office.  But since the office is at home I guess that doesn't count.

No, it doesn't give the most professional appearance, but expecting staff to wear shoes and socks comes with the accompanying expectation of managers that the office environment is comfortable enough to work in with such footwear.  If people are genuinely that uncomfortable in the hot weather then office conditions need improving.

I think that there are more offensive things to do in an office in this heat and regarding clothing. I probably wouldn't notice it but I'd expect the barefoot to take the risk of injury/ dirt etc upon themselves and definitely not plant their plates on the desk, especially in front of me. I wear socks with my sandals which is apparently a crime and wouldn't take criticism lightly so I tend not to really care what people do with their feet. Don't mind bare feet in certain Flit Flops which look good, though.

Luna, you're not alone in the socks with sandals faux pas - I often wear sockettes with my sandals when I go locally to the store but I bow to convention if we're going out for lunch or meeting people.  Don't know what's so bad about the sock thing unless they are thick woolies that you would wear in the winter.  By the way, winter sounds wonderful at the moment, the thermometer outside our kitchen window yesterday showed the temp at 104F - 37C I guess and there was a humidex factor on top of that so we are in a hot spot right now.  Thank goodness for air conditioning or I'd be a puddle on the floor!   :help:

Just realized I didn't really reply to the 'barefoot or sock foot in the office' part of the thread.  I don't think it would look too professional but then people seem to wear all sorts of things (and wear other things which don't cover much) in an office nowadays which would have been considered unprofessional when I first started work.  I think it would be a health hazard if your feet exude moisture, and you slip on a tiled floor.   :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with socks and sandals myself and being allergic to wool, mine are always soft cotton, Momac. Oh, for the luxury of air conditioning! I'd love some right now.

I can see the problems with barefoot in the office, it's hardly hygienic is it? And what happens if you spill something? Cold water isn't a problem but boiling water, or drop something heavy? Even a stapler would be painful.

Did it yesterday! OK, it was by mistake, but still. Was wearing flip flop type sandals and they'd rubbed. Slipped them off surreptitiously under the desk for some relief and then forgot and wandered across the office. Not something I'd normally do.

And Hazel (and David).... Baby Pink lacquered tootsie nails for me!

The Swedish skirts look o.k. - I think they'd even be cooler than shorts as they probably don't cling and bunch up the way shorts can.  Don't think they'd want to be driving trains in bare feet though.

• 3 weeks later...

I frequently do take my shoes off in the day job (but always put them back on if I'm going to the kitchen/ladies/further than the photocopier). In the evening job, I'm always barefoot/socks only, and insist on the same for my clients, but that's normal for a Pilates class!

Edited by Flingo

It's all about culture. In some countries, it is customary to take off shoes when going inside a building and it would be seen as arrogant and aggressive not to do so.

I occasionally slip off shoes on a hot day, but only if I have clean socks. And when I do, it feels so liberating.

I've always hated wearing shoes and socks and go barefoot when ever possible.  It is a cultural thing; back home Jandals (flip-flops) are worn most of the year when not working, and many take their shoes off when entering homes.  In some cultures, wearing outdoor shoes inside is also seen as unhygienic.

I work from home, thus it's not an issue (unless I accidently step on a squished Spider the kitties have teased and tormented. eek.gif )  in my previous profession I would slip off my shoes discreetly.

French pedicure here...wink.png

I like this topic, it's really light hearted - I can imagine in the days of the ladies wearing stiletto heels and what a relief to slip them off would be with your feet under the desk - o.k. unless you have to get up in a hurry.  :)

I like this topic, it's really light hearted - I can imagine in the days of the ladies wearing stiletto heels and what a relief to slip them off would be with your feet under the desk - o.k. unless you have to get up in a hurry.   :)

this brought back some...errr, memories from a few years back.  One of the Secretaries slipped of her shoes in the office and a bloke (note: I didn't say gentleman) blurted out: "Wheeew!  Who is eating toasted cheese sandwiches at their desk?"  The Secretary was wearing plastic shoes in hot weather with embarrassing results.  lmao.gif