New Site - New Features!

David

As I said in my original post welcoming people to the new site, there's way too much that's new to go through in a post.  So let's use this thread to post about new things and help each other get to grips with it!

First of all, take a look at your profile - top right on the homepage you'll see your username with various clickable options when you click on it.  You'll find you can do much more with your profile page now - even customising it with your own background!  You also have more social media options, including the ability to add friends!

As I noted on another thread, I have disabled HTML posting (that's using the code supplied by the likes of YouTube to embed videos).  This is a security measure.

But you can still post these things.  To be honest, I think the way this is supposed to work is you paste the URL (web address) of the YouTube video you want to embed and the forum translates it for you, but I haven't been able to make this work.

So instead, paste the URL, highlight it, then click the blue/green square box beside the font selector.  This gives you a box with various code options - select 'media' and it will turn it into an embedded video.

[media]

[/media]

You can also do this to create spoilers.

like this

However, if you just want to type out the BB code in square brackets like we've always done, that will work just dandy too.  'spoiler' for a spoiler and 'media' for YouTube or other popular media sites.

Another thing to note, instead of the Posts Since Your Last Visit customisation on BGO Classic, New BGO has 'View New Content' at the top right.  This actually works in the same way (I gather!) and will show what's been posted since your last visit to the board.

Am now able to type the message, was unable to before but it's working now.  New look is really classy, the Avatar for me is the one on another forum I'm on.  I think I had a coloured heart shaped thingy before.  Anyway, that's me, or the way I used to look about 10 years ago. :flirt:   

Great work David and others, very snazzy.   :flowers:

Post # 2, what on earth are warning points - is that for bad language or what?   :wonder:

It's one of the things we're going to have a little think about.  It's a way of making things clearer if someone is breaking rules - so many points and you're out.  I'm not sure it's for us, if I'm honest, but I'm open to other opinions!

It might be worth everyone going into their Profile and changing their notification status. Click the arrow next to your name, choose My Settings, and change from Email to Notification for all the options. This means that your email won't get clogged up with lots of emails notifying you of every damned little thing that happens on BGO and instead you'll only get a wee red number up at your notifications of the stuff you actually want notified about.

That is, only if you want. If you are happy with the email thing, then carry on as you were. :)

What does the white "10" and "Good" on a green ground signify? Everyone seems to have the same so I assume some kind of default setting at present, what does it measure?

I just liked your post and it went up to 11.  You're right I was wondering how I managed to get that too and it seems to be a default.

Previewing a response before posting - there isn't a "preview post" button in the reply window (or the quote window) anymore, but if you click 'more reply options' in either you get a preview just as before :) Will prevent me having to edit many of my posts lol

What does the white "10" and "Good" on a green ground signify? Everyone seems to have the same so I assume some kind of default setting at present, what does it measure?

This is the board's reputation system.  I'm starting a thread on this now.

It might be worth everyone going into their Profile and changing their notification status. Click the arrow next to your name, choose My Settings, and change from Email to Notification for all the options. This means that your email won't get clogged up with lots of emails notifying you of every damned little thing that happens on BGO and instead you'll only get a wee red number up at your notifications of the stuff you actually want notified about.

That is, only if you want. If you are happy with the email thing, then carry on as you were. :)

Um, Hazel, where will the little red number for notifications come up?

Previewing a response before posting - there isn't a "preview post" button in the reply window (or the quote window) anymore, but if you click 'more reply options' in either you get a preview just as before :) Will prevent me having to edit many of my posts lol

Good one to point out, waawo!  The reply pane at the bottom of any thread is called a 'quick reply' box and gives you slightly fewer options.  Clicking on 'More Reply Options' gives you the whole shebang.

I think I've changed my notification preference, however, nothing is for sure.  I usually check the threads that I've posted on so wouldn't need to receive any e-mail regarding same.  All will be revealed I suppose. :wonder: