David

New Site Problems - Post them Here

When I copy/paste  from Word, using the paste W as above  the font/size does not seem to automatically adjust even though I try to use those options. But, when I do it with the Full Edit it seems to automatically post it in the right Font/size. Is this the right way to   copy/ paste to get the correct style?  Please could you confirm which  Font/size is used on the Forum?

Also is it convention to put book titles in italics within the text? I have been using '............'but the other seems clearer . Are there  a set of preferred style hints for the Forum somewhere?

Also is it convention to put book titles in italics within the text? I have been using '............'but the other seems clearer . Are there  a set of preferred style hints for the Forum somewhere?

There is no Board convention and most people just use simple title case. When I fist joined the Booker Prize forum, I tried to highlight titles in yellow and some people copied the convention but it became a chore. Anything that's going to be a barrier that might make people reluctant to post should probably be avoided. We need posts more than we need italics!

When I copy/paste  from Word, using the paste W as above  the font/size does not seem to automatically adjust even though I try to use those options. But, when I do it with the Full Edit it seems to automatically post it in the right Font/size. Is this the right way to   copy/ paste to get the correct style?  Please could you confirm which  Font/size is used on the Forum?

I think pasting from Word can be problematic anywhere.  Obviously you're using the right paste button (worth noting for others - use the clipboard with the 'W' Word logo) - beyond that there's not much I can recommend to deal with that glitch.

I think using the full editor seems the best option all round - other problems people have experienced go away when the full editor is used.  The size used here by default is 14.

As Mr HG says, there's no convention in titles beyond using the appropriate capitals and also no style sheet for the board.  All we ask is that posts are easy to read and not doing anything too garish which serves as a distraction.

Don't know if this is just my problem but if I log on and don't have enough time to view the new content then go back in later everything that was showing as new content before has gone. Is there a way to retrieve it?

Don't know if this is just my problem but if I log on and don't have enough time to view the new content then go back in later everything that was showing as new content before has gone. Is there a way to retrieve it?

On the new content page, which option are you using? If it's "new since my last visit", it will behave as you describe. I tend to use "past 24 hours" for just this reason - visiting the site knocks out all new content if the first option is used.

ETA: the nice thing is, when you click on one of the options to the side, like "past 24 hours", this selection is remembered, so next time you click on "View New Content", the same choice is made for you :)

Edited by waawo

On the new content page, which option are you using? If it's "new since my last visit", it will behave as you describe. I tend to use "past 24 hours" for just this reason - visiting the site knocks out all new content if the first option is used.

ETA: the nice thing is, when you click on one of the options to the side, like "past 24 hours", this selection is remembered, so next time you click on "View New Content", the same choice is made for you :)

Thanks waawo, I was using the one at the top of the page, so now that I know I will use the past 24 hours option.  That's a big help.  :)

Spam has invaded much of the forum - using a lot of dormant threads - they are a darn nuisance!

It looks like the spam problem won't go away any time soon. Some of the automated blocks won't be working for a bit. So please keep reporting any dodgy posts and don't click any links. That's how they make their money.

The mod team will try to ban spammers as soon as they register (I've just spent an hour clearing the most recent out) but will inevitably miss some.

The last couple of days my Quote button won't work , the green dots at the top flick but no Quote appears. Also the Link to bring URL's down to a highlighted word  now has a very confusing box to fill in which doesn't work and tends to freeze the screen. In addition copy and paste doesn't work either. :grumble:

Are these just my problems or is anyone else having trouble?  I downloaded a  Windows 8.1 update a few days ago and several things have played up, so would appreciate comment from anyone who can help.

The last couple of days my Quote button won't work , the green dots at the top flick but no Quote appears. Also the Link to bring URL's down to a highlighted word  now has a very confusing box to fill in which doesn't work and tends to freeze the screen. In addition copy and paste doesn't work either. :grumble:

Are these just my problems or is anyone else having trouble?  I downloaded a  Windows 8.1 update a few days ago and several things have played up, so would appreciate comment from anyone who can help.

GH, this happened to me a little while ago, and curiously I thought it was you who provided the solution but maybe not. At the time I had the problem but not CP. I still have to do this whenever I quote.

To get around it I have to click on the QUOTE tab of the post I am quoting, then when my reply box opens up click on the icon in the very top-left corner of the menu bar (looks a bit like a lock) which turns off everything else in the menu bar, then go back to the quoted post and click on QUOTE again!

The quote then appears in the reply box, I can then click on the lock icon to bring back the rest of the menu bar. As you may guess I try not to quote too often. What a palava! Don't know whether this will help or not.

GH, this happened to me a little while ago, and curiously I thought it was you who provided the solution but maybe not. At the time I had the problem but not CP. I still have to do this whenever I quote.

To get around it I have to click on the QUOTE tab of the post I am quoting, then when my reply box opens up click on the icon in the very top-left corner of the menu bar (looks a bit like a lock) which turns off everything else in the menu bar, then go back to the quoted post and click on QUOTE again!

The quote then appears in the reply box, I can then click on the lock icon to bring back the rest of the menu bar. As you may guess I try not to quote too often. What a palava! Don't know whether this will help or not.

Hallelujah RG  thankyou so much, but this shouldn't happen and there were the other problems so maybe something in the system has changed.

There is a compatibility issue with this Editor and Internet Explorer 11 (part of Windows8.1). I have just applied a compatibility fix to the forum. It may not make a change immediately, but it will start to function as expected over the next few days.

Hello Stuart:  I know you've been around for a while - just stopped by to say hello and thanks for being there.  :)

Hello Stuart:  I know you've been around for a while - just stopped by to say hello and thanks for being there.   :)

That was quick of you momac, catching Stuart out in the open like this.  Well done. I 'm not sure quite what Stuart does  :ph34r:  but I believe we should be in awe of it.  Cheers, Stuart! :clap:

There is a compatibility issue with this Editor and Internet Explorer 11 (part of Windows8.1). I have just applied a compatibility fix to the forum. It may not make a change immediately, but it will start to function as expected over the next few days.

Thank you so much Stuart, I thought that Windows updates may have had something to do with it.

That was quick of you momac, catching Stuart out in the open like this.  Well done. I 'm not sure quite what Stuart does  :ph34r:  but I believe we should be in awe of it.  Cheers, Stuart! :clap:

Ting, Stuart is our System Administrator and keeps everything oiled and ticking perfectly so the Forum actually continues to appear and be used - his worth is way above that of a  Dragon's Hoard . :yup:

Edited by grasshopper

Ting, Stuart is our System Administrator and keeps everything oiled and ticking perfectly so the Forum actually continues to appear and be used - his worth is way above that of a  Dragon's Hoard . :yup:

As I suspected. Confirming my "in-awe-ness".

I am finding that when I log on to BGO and ask to "view new content" that it tells me there is no new content to be viewed.  I look down the forum and see that there have been new posts but they aren't showing up on the 'view new content' section for me. Is it something I am doing wrong?

I am finding that when I log on to BGO and ask to "view new content" that it tells me there is no new content to be viewed.  I look down the forum and see that there have been new posts but they aren't showing up on the 'view new content' section for me. Is it something I am doing wrong?

momac - check on the left hand side, that you haven't accidentally clicked one of the options, like "Just items I follow". The most likely reason is that the site is filtering the new content according to something you have accidentally selected.

MM - you had it figured out - I had pushed a button inadvertently - that was the problem - many thanks. :)

On David's Welcome to BGO thread the link to Please introduce yourself thread doesn't work for me it comes up "Sorry we couldn't find that'

This may just be for me as I can no longer link with one word or even copy and post a full link. For word links I get a large box asking for email and other info that I don't understand and it freezes my screen and I have to close down and restart. I used to get just a small screen  that only needed the copied address pasted in where it said URL.  For trying with full copy and paste straight in with full address it just refuses to accept at all.  Again is it because of Windows 8 .1?  Please can anyone help?