David

New Site Problems - Post them Here

Are people finding page scrolls a bit long?  I think we used to show 15 posts per page in Classic BGO - it's 20 here.  I can reduce it to 15 if you'd like.

Oh Grand Duchess Dragon Lady!  Errm, I mean grasshopper.  That did give me a chuckle!

Anyway, presto change-o, you're all back to normal, grasshopper - with the title you wanted.

What a welcome surprise to see this morning - thank you so much David, I will be more careful in future :dance:

Is there any way the original author of a thread can add the author's name to the title?  I've just tried and couldn't do it.

Is there any way the original author of a thread can add the author's name to the title?  I've just tried and couldn't do it.

Hmmm.  You should be able to, Viccie - the options for both Members and Subscribers is ticked for you being able to edit the titles of threads you've created.

I think I need to create a new account so I can see what you see - with Admin options in place it's not clear what members are seeing.  But in the meantime, presumably you've clicked 'edit' on your opening post and there's no option to edit the title?  Is there another option appearing for you anywhere else near the top of the thread?

Quick test shows that I can edit the title of threads I've created since the move to IPB, but not threads I created before that. Hope this helps!

Also learned that you can't delete the only post on a thread i.e. delete the thread itself (at least it's not obvious anyway) so David could you delete my "test post" thread please?

Quick test shows that I can edit the title of threads I've created since the move to IPB, but not threads I created before that. Hope this helps!

Oh that's really helpful, waawo - thanks!  Hmmm, that's a shame, but I suppose it makes sense.

Also learned that you can't delete the only post on a thread i.e. delete the thread itself (at least it's not obvious anyway) so David could you delete my "test post" thread please?

:lol:

Yes, that's quite true.  I've kept that setting because if someone deletes their own opening post and others have replied, then all the replies go too.  It seems a sensible safeguard, and the Mod Squad will always be happy to delete such things for you.

EDIT: and indeed it would appear one of them just has - I see it's gone!  Ta.

Yes, that's quite true.  I've kept that setting because if someone deletes their own opening post and others have replied, then all the replies go too.  It seems a sensible safeguard, and the Mod Squad will always be happy to delete such things for you.

Which I've just done.

And it makes sense to have this this way.

EDIT: and indeed it would appear one of them just has - I see it's gone!  Ta.

Which I've just done.

And it makes sense to have this this way.

:)

Thanks both

Hmmm.  You should be able to, Viccie - the options for both Members and Subscribers is ticked for you being able to edit the titles of threads you've created.

I think I need to create a new account so I can see what you see - with Admin options in place it's not clear what members are seeing.  But in the meantime, presumably you've clicked 'edit' on your opening post and there's no option to edit the title?  Is there another option appearing for you anywhere else near the top of the thread?

No, I've just had another look.  I can edit the body of the post but there's no box for the title.

Yep - I have started my new thread title* in lower case, but when I went to "edit" it didn't let me edit the title.

("the Cutting Season" in Crime)

I expect I can as a mod, using another route, but the edit function doesn't open up the thread title.

Yep - I have started my new thread title* in lower case, but when I went to "edit" it didn't let me edit the title.

Ah - it did when I clicked "use full editor".

Doh.

Ah - it did when I clicked "use full editor".

Doh.

Just what I was coming back to say!  I'd gone off and created an ordinary account, then created and edited a thread.  The quick reply box which appears at the end of any thread is meant to give you a slimline option for rapid replies.  Click 'More Reply Options' and it will give you exactly that - including the facility for editing the thread title.

I am really missing the "find all posts by ???" facility of Classic BGO. I mostly used that when someone hasn't been around for a while, or has just returned after an absence, to check on when they last posted.

With New BGO , as far as I have been able to ascertain, "find content" only takes you to the threads on which they posted, and you have to search through until you come across their posts   . There is no highlighting, so it's easy to miss a short post if going through a long thread at speed.

Not only that, but worse still, it only goes back to when BGO came 'live' again after the Big Disappearance.  :(:grumble:

I am really missing the "find all posts by ???" facility of Classic BGO. I mostly used that when someone hasn't been around for a while, or has just returned after an absence, to check on when they last posted.

With New BGO , as far as I have been able to ascertain, "find content" only takes you to the threads on which they posted, and you have to search through until you come across their posts   . There is no highlighting, so it's easy to miss a short post if going through a long thread at speed.

Not only that, but worse still, it only goes back to when BGO came 'live' again after the Big Disappearance.  :(:grumble:

There's probably an easier way to do it, but go to the target's profile page and click on Find Posts on the left hand side. This shows the most recent few posts. Then go to a box on the top right hand side saying "show content" and then go to the menu on the left and click "posts only" - and this will show the individual posts.

I should add that going onto someone's profile page leaves a visible footprint. I've just been to yours, Meg. 

Edited by MisterHobgoblin

There's probably an easier way to do it

I'm not sure there is.  It's a bit long-winded, isn't it?  I hadn't noticed the 'show content' part of that and had been wondering about only being able to see a few recent posts, so thanks for that.

There's a slight shortcut: if you're in a thread, you can hover over the name of the poster you're interested in (at the top of one of their posts) and then click on "Find Content" - comes up by default as a list of posts and topics but can be filtered to show just posts...

[ETA: obviously hovering isn't really available on tablets/phones etc. An area where web/html standards haven't really kept up with technology...]

Edited by waawo

Not a problem really, but I wonder if it is possible to have a Mark All Posts Read for the whole forum, or if it is already there I haven't found it yet? I clear as I go at the moment, but there are some sections I don't visit :nono: and it would be great to be able to clear them without opening :hmm:

Not a problem really, but I wonder if it is possible to have a Mark All Posts Read for the whole forum, or if it is already there I haven't found it yet? I clear as I go at the moment, but there are some sections I don't visit :nono: and it would be great to be able to clear them without opening :hmm:

Scroll down to the bottom of any page, "Mark Community Read", choose "Posts" :)

(I'm on the web client at the moment so this option may not exist on the mobile clients...)

Scroll down to the bottom of any page, "Mark Community Read", choose "Posts" :)

(I'm on the web client at the moment so this option may not exist on the mobile clients...)

Thank you waaw! I was looking at the top!