Sign in to follow this  
David

Welcome to the New BGO!

I copy my reviews here over to Amazon and I know that Mr HG does the same. As far as I can see, it's my post...

What are 'pips'?

grasshopper has two dots under her avatar: In trying to find out what they are in 'help' i came across this -

Below their username you will see their photo, member title and pips or group image.

I presume that refers to those dots, however, even using 'search' I can't find any other reference to 'pips', so i still don't know what they are.

Anyone else know?

I'll ask about 'group image' some other time :rolleyes:

What a lovely new site we have.  Took some finding my way back.  I could not get it through my Favourites link and had to put in BGO in my search engine to get bac inot the site..  That meant registering again, but in light of everything else that has been achieved it was not a big deal.  Love the idea of us being on Facebook and have linked up with that too. Hoping to spread the word even wider with that - not that I have a large number of 'friends' on Fb.

One thing I have noticed is that our locations are no longer up with individuals postings.  I often used to glance at those and be interested in where some people were both in the UK and in the world and especially like some of the more 'literary' locations rather than counties or states or countries.   Hey, ho - that's progress.

I do like all the options we now have when posting though.  Very posh!

Thanks David for all the hard work.  Much appreciated.  Now for an explore.

It will be fair enough if they say that my reviews are now their property and they have copyright,  as I signed on and accepted

Much depends on the terms and conditions when it comes to copyright.  Facebook and Twitter, for instance, make it clear what you post there is yours, but in signing up to the sites you grant them permission to use it in pretty much any way they want.

In general terms of copyright, your intellectual property remains yours.  Even signing it away is far from being clear cut in legal terms!  However, I really don't think this is something to worry about in terms of our site.  A number of our reviews appear elsewhere, as has been said, and no one's bothered about this.  We've said we're happy for people to post reviews they have written for their own book blogs here - all we ask is that they do indeed post those reviews here and not link away to their blog, making us just an advertising board.

The only copyright issue we ever have to worry about is posting other people's words here without their permission.

In terms of Facebook, well, there's the potential for a Facebook application which reproduces things there which appear here automatically but that's something I've already raised with Hazel as an idea we'll look at in a while - there's way too much sorting out to do yet before considering that.  If we want to go down that route we'll start a thread on it and you can raise your concerns about the issue then.  Not much point discussing it if we actually don't think it's something we want to do anyway.

One thing I have noticed is that our locations are no longer up with individuals postings.

I was wondering, in a vague kind of way, why my location was no longer shown, so have had a little play about.

My 'original' location was, and is, in 'My Profile' as Essex UK so nothing there had changed, but when I went into 'My Settings' I saw that although my location is in the Profile Information section, below 'Biography,'  it was not entered in the  in the box above 'Interests'.

Why there should be so many places to enter one's location I have no idea, but I filled in the empty box, and to see if it made any difference, put NW Essex UK - and lo and behold, there it is now, below my avatar!

It's up to individuals, as ever, to choose whether or not to have their locations displayed

What are 'pips'?

grasshopper has two dots under her avatar: In trying to find out what they are in 'help' i came across this -

Below their username you will see their photo, member title and pips or group image.

This is all to do with member ranks.  I'm going to be changing these anyway before long in order to reflect the new Partner status for those who funded the site - and this is all going to be publicly recognised in an enduring fashion when everything's complete - and to tidy up other elements of it.

In typically imaginative and exploratory fashion, MrHG has already discovered members can change their user group titles and has put himself in the 'Cow up a Tree' group to tie in with his avatar.  I'm afraid that won't be staying for long, so enjoy it while you can, folks!

There are 1-3 pips for the first 3 status ranks, but our old system uses them up very quickly - most people have too many posts to be in those first three categories and so don't have any pips.  The staff badges all have two stars - I don't know why.  There's the possibility for forum-specific moderators rather than the 'super-moderators', which the team all are, so maybe that rank has just one star.  But I have 2 just like the rest so I'm not sure that follows.

Group image is an image we can assign for particular membership groups.  I'm not sure we want to bother with this, though perhaps it would be good to get something appropriate for Partners?  Hmmm.  Worth a think.

I copy my reviews here over to Amazon and I know that Mr HG does the same. As far as I can see, it's my post...

Amazon stipulates that it owns reviews that people post but allows reviewers to reproduce reviews on non-commercial sites such as blogs or forums. They really don't want the reviews being copied onto their rival booksellers' sites. I tend to draft in Word, post reviews on Amazon first and then copy across to BGO because Amazon takes away my default font in Word. If I copied straight from Word to BGO it would all be in Times New Roman!

However I am not sure about the facility to spread our comments around on all the other social media, or is that the one that is going to be cancelled? 

I realise now you were probably referring to the social media sharing buttons - either at the bottom of the page or, if you click on the number of an individual post, in a pop-up box.

That's a much more fundamental function and I have to be honest, a pretty common thing these days.  Obviously we are a public forum and anyone can read the content on BGO whether they're a member or not, so it's all freely viewable - which is actually much less likely to be the case on Facebook.  If people are sharing on FB then I think probably all of them restrict views of their page to friends, so any shares would be controlled to a degree and more private than they are here.  Ultimately any shares are just saying, "BGO's a great place - come and see!"  And people will come to see what they would have seen anyway if they'd come here by accident.

Does that reassure you about the issue, grasshopper?  I really want to start a drive to increase membership here once we've got the board fully sorted, and I think social shares are a great way of doing that.  I hope this isn't something which is going to make you uncomfortable.

I was wondering, in a vague kind of way, why my location was no longer shown, so have had a little play about.

My 'original' location was, and is, in 'My Profile' as Essex UK so nothing there had changed, but when I went into 'My Settings' I saw that although my location is in the Profile Information section, below 'Biography,'  it was not entered in the  in the box above 'Interests'.

Why there should be so many places to enter one's location I have no idea, but I filled in the empty box, and to see if it made any difference, put NW Essex UK - and lo and behold, there it is now, below my avatar!

It's up to individuals, as ever, to choose whether or not to have their locations displayed

Yipee! Thanks Meg.

In general terms of copyright, your intellectual property remains yours.  Even signing it away is far from being clear cut in legal terms!  However, I really don't think this is something to worry about in terms of our site.  A number of our reviews appear elsewhere, as has been said, and no one's bothered about this.  We've said we're happy for people to post reviews they have written for their own book blogs here - all we ask is that they do indeed post those reviews here and not link away to their blog, making us just an advertising board.

The only copyright issue we ever have to worry about is posting other people's words here without their permission.

Amazon stipulates that it owns reviews that people post but allows reviewers to reproduce reviews on non-commercial sites such as blogs or forums. They really don't want the reviews being copied onto their rival booksellers' sites. I tend to draft in Word, post reviews on Amazon first and then copy across to BGO because Amazon takes away my default font in Word. If I copied straight from Word to BGO it would all be in Times New Roman!

Thank you very much Hazel, David and Mr HG for your helpful replies concerning the sharing of reviews between BGO and Audible. 

The customer service I have had from Audible has always been outstanding and I have just  a very prompt and courteous reply from them  which included: -

"....... you would want to know if you could use the comment you posted on Audible website on another discussion forum. I can definitely answer your inquiry.

You can definitely do that. When it comes to comments being posted in our website, what we really take a look at are: injury to any person or entity and plagiarism. If the comment is yours and you did not copy it from any other person, it is definitely fine to use your review that you posted from Audible on a different website."

So now I am reassured on all fronts  and look forward to contributing.   Also Mr HG thank you for useful tip on writing in Word first, also because have sometimes lost reviews altogether when writing on site and had to start again.

In typically imaginative and exploratory fashion, MrHG has already discovered members can change their user group titles and has put himself in the 'Cow up a Tree' group to tie in with his avatar.  I'm afraid that won't be staying for long, so enjoy it while you can, folks!

I think that would be a shame. We don't need to have our status listed twice - once above and once below our Avatars. Why not let us choose a short description of ourselves? I am a moderator on another site and it works well. People can be really creative and it adds value.

I realise now you were probably referring to the social media sharing buttons - either at the bottom of the page or, if you click on the number of an individual post, in a pop-up box.

That's a much more fundamental function and I have to be honest, a pretty common thing these days.  Obviously we are a public forum and anyone can read the content on BGO whether they're a member or not, so it's all freely viewable - which is actually much less likely to be the case on Facebook.  If people are sharing on FB then I think probably all of them restrict views of their page to friends, so any shares would be controlled to a degree and more private than they are here.  Ultimately any shares are just saying, "BGO's a great place - come and see!"  And people will come to see what they would have seen anyway if they'd come here by accident.

Does that reassure you about the issue, grasshopper?  I really want to start a drive to increase membership here once we've got the board fully sorted, and I think social shares are a great way of doing that.  I hope this isn't something which is going to make you uncomfortable.

Yes, David, it was clicking on the number and the resulting long spread of choices that temporarily turned me into a gibbering introvert with a privacy issue  :scared:  sorry!

I have a generational distrust of Facebook, having been brought up in an era where privacy and MYOB was rammed down our throats, yet I am happy to use Twitter and online forums - not logical.  You are absolutely right, BGO is a public forum and deserves all good  publicity to encourage more members, I am perfectly comfortable and will probably make use of the function  myself. Apologies for freak out.  :)

I think that would be a shame. We don't need to have our status listed twice - once above and once below our Avatars. Why not let us choose a short description of ourselves? I am a moderator on another site and it works well. People can be really creative and it adds value.

Seconded

thirded 

I belong to another forum where members choose a word or phrase to describe themselves (usually something nautical to fit the board's name) and, while I haven't bothered to do that myself, I do enjoy seeing where others' imaginations have taken them.

Probably needs a limit on the number of words, if it isn't automatically restricted. A whole paragraph might be overdoing it.

Hmmmm.  It was how I was going to identify Partners.  Plus, if I'm honest, I anticipated leaving that as something which could end up leading to more confrontation along the line as people choose dodgy titles.  Because people can sometimes be naughty like that...

Nevertheless, all right - let's give it a whirl.

Hmmmm.  It was how I was going to identify Partners.  Plus, if I'm honest, I anticipated leaving that as something which could end up leading to more confrontation along the line as people choose dodgy titles.  Because people can sometimes be naughty like that...

Nevertheless, all right - let's give it a whirl.

Do Partners need to be identified? We have a post about that and it may put off other members, through no fault of their own, didn't contribute. I certainly don't a situation where there's an clique of members. There kind of already is that with the mods, another clique would be off putting to new and existing members. I am not bothered at being continually acknowledged as a contributor.

Do Partners need to be identified? We have a post about that and it may put off other members, through no fault of their own, didn't contribute. I certainly don't a situation where there's an clique of members. There kind of already is that with the mods, another clique would be off putting to new and existing members. I am not bothered at being continually acknowledged as a contributor.

I felt it was right to recognise in a meaningful and lasting way what the Partners did for BGO - after all, they're not getting anything else out of it other than the continuance of the board, which everyone benefits from.  Of course I know none of them expected anything else out of it, but it seemed appropriate.

I can still do this; it will just mean creating a new user group and manually putting them all in there.  So it's possible.  But maybe this isn't something people would want to do, for the reasons Hazel gives.  What do you all think?

I was the original advocate of this new level of membership. But now I think David's public acknowledgement of partners in the "Book Group Online - Who Are We?" thread is enough. It will be there for all to see and as BGO looks like being adequately financed by Amazon commissions we will hopefully not need either partners or subscribers in the future.

I guess we could reintroduce status's based on length of membership which we had on the old site... Or not.

I guess we could reintroduce status's based on length of membership which we had on the old site... Or not.

Well, that would be in the member title field, which we're now going to leave open for more creative options decided upon by the individual member, after Mr HG's suggestion.  It simply duplicates the member group at the moment, although the old titles are still in the system - reflected in the pips for the 1st 3 levels of membership (up to abut 100 posts, I think).

I have a generational distrust of Facebook, having been brought up in an era where privacy and MYOB was rammed down our throats, yet I am happy to use Twitter and online forums - not logical.  You are absolutely right, BGO is a public forum and deserves all good  publicity to encourage more members, I am perfectly comfortable and will probably make use of the function  myself. Apologies for freak out.  :)

No problem - I entirely understand.  Glad you're happy with the situation!

It was a great idea but I don't need recognition as a partner - particularly if that's not a status that new members could ever attain. I was just glad to be able to contribute alongside so many other members. 

The real partners will be those who post on an ongoing basis. Sure we need money to set the site up but we need posts to make the site breathe.