Sign in to follow this  
David

Welcome to the New BGO!

Here we are, then - safe and sound on the other side!

All has gone really well - there were no hitches and everything seems to have travelled safely.

That said, it is absolutely inevitable that there will be glitches here and there, so if you find something awry, let me know.

Frankly there is too much for me to go through everything about the new board here - and certainly not at this particular point when there's so much still to do.  I've really only set all the basic settings at this point.  So look around, get a feel for the place and start to settle into our new home!

:)

There does seem to be a few problems - is it worth highlighting them here David, or should we just let you get on with the heavy work? I would recommend that everyone check their Private Message folder because mine contained PMs stretching back to 2007!

Good to be back and good to see the site looking so modern!

Thank you to everyone involved in the changeover and especially to those that pledged and donated - this is all down to the commitment and generosity of BGO members. I don't think there would be many forums with members that would step up to the plate like this.

There does seem to be a few problems - is it worth highlighting them here David, or should we just let you get on with the heavy work? I would recommend that everyone check their Private Message folder because mine contained PMs stretching back to 2007!

I've created a new thread for people to note problems here.  Yes, some PMs seem to have come back from the dead - but at least we still have them!  It's something I was a little worried about.

I'll look into those issues, tag.

The "Song Chain" thread here http://www.bookgrouponline.com/topic/135-song-chain/page-244#entry136813 seems to be stuck in a loop. Is it too big?

I made a test post and it seemed to bring it up to date.  Looks okay now but let's keep an eye as people use it.

In fact that's because I've now disabled HTML.  I thought a lot about this, but it was always a bit of a vulnerability on the old board.  Thing is, though, we were so ancient I don't think we appeared on people's radar for attack!  Enabling HTML allows hackers to sidestep security, you see.

Since the new board lets you post something like a YouTube video without directly using their HTML codes, I thought it was best to shut that facility down.  I'll repair what I can on that thread as the days go on.

BTW, I used the 'multi-quote' feature in this reply.  Very cool!  Just click on the multi quote button for all the posts you want to quote from, then click on the box that appears bottom right keeping tally of them all when you're done.  Your reply box then has all the quotes ready to respond to!

Hi everybody, this is AMAZING!  Love the new posting options and especially the like button.  It's going to take a while to get used to everything and find things but thanks everybody for getting us here.  :D

Love the new posting options and especially the like button.

That's going to be fun. anu has already liked one of my posts (an old one, as well). Thanks anu.

Yes, some PMs seem to have come back from the dead

That's true in more ways than one. Bittersweet, I had a couple of PMs from Fireball - a member that died a while ago. That was quite sad and touching.

I love the changes so far!

:D I am transported back to 1968, when my primary school moved across the playground to the building vacated by the secondary school who had moved into new premises a mile away.  The feeling of knowing everybody but being in slightly new surroundings - it really is quite surreal to find myself reminded of 45 years ago - thinking about it, it's probably 45 years ago to the very week.  :cool:

Sincere congratulations to David on engineering this move and thanks to everyone who contributed to the cost.

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to say well done and congratulations on the new board. I don't post too much anymore or ever (which I hope to rectify) but I do read many of the posts and it's a great site so I'm glad it all worked out.

It just wouldn't be the same without bgo, I have found many brilliant books through recommendations on here and hope to find many more in the future!

I wish I could have pledged and donated earlier but I'm not in a position to do so at the moment. However, in the future I'll be happy to give something if it's needed.

Anyway the site looks awesome, was a shock to my system seeing it look so different. :)

Anyway the site looks awesome, was a shock to my system seeing it look so different. :)

After all these years of the old board I'm still finding myself doing a double take when I come here now!  I'm glad you like it and thanks for your comments - it would be great to see more of you on our shiny new board!  Tag's just started a new Group Read so if that takes your fancy it would be a good way of getting more involved.

Was holding my breath in case I was rejected again, however, everything's coming up roses!  Will have a look at the new group read to see if it's something I should be joining. :)

Congratulations on lovely new site and many thanks to all who are working on it .  This looks so much bigger and easier to read. Am going to take a while to look around and enjoy.

Well, all these edits were from trying to use the new beaut emoticons - :scratchhe:dunno:   :banghead:   surprise   :wonder:  :wonder: - there was an lock right up there in the first row to unlock with :dunce:

:clap:  :arms:  :banana:

Edited by grasshopper

Good morning Early Bird Meg, our times begin to overlap and also my computer is fully restored so I can join in while others are  online too. I will be more restrained with emoticons in future but this is the first time I could find out what they all meant!

Then I got an email to tell me you had "quoted" me on BGO - all this up to date technology is very exciting.

However I am not sure about the facility to spread our comments around on all the other social media, or is that the one that is going to be cancelled? 

I don't belong to Facebook and would hate anything I wrote to appear there. I only Twitter  other Twitterers or public articles from news etc., I think it would be discourteous to send a BGO comment off into the world without asking if the author was happy for me to do so.

I am not sure about the facility to spread our comments around on all the other social media,

Don't fancy that much myself, and was just ignoring all those little boxes - as I do on other sites

or is that the one that is going to be cancelled? 

I expect other people will want to keep it, even if it is possible to cancel it

I think it would be discourteous to send a BGO comment off into the world without asking if the author was happy for me to do so.

Yes, it would.

Not only that, it brings up the question of copyright. Does the content published on BGO belong to the poster, or to BGO?

I know that another forum I use firmly states that they hold copyright on all content, and it cannot be reproduced on any other website/blog/etc. - not even by the original poster (although they can express the same thought elsewhere but phrasing it differently)

Not only that, it brings up the question of copyright. Does the content published on BGO belong to the poster, or to BGO?

I know that another forum I use firmly states that they hold copyright on all content, and it cannot be reproduced on any other website/blog/etc. - not even by the original poster (although they can express the same thought elsewhere but phrasing it differently)

This is something we should perhaps sort out in due course, although this is probably the wrong thread and at present there are far more important things for the moderators to do.

I was wondering,  as I have written quite a lot of reviews for audible.com over a few years and was going to ask BGO if it was appropriate to reproduce them here. However, after seeing your comment I have been checking out terms and conditions at audible, but am still not sure, so have written to ask their opinion.

It will be fair enough if they say that my reviews are now their property and they have copyright,  as I signed on and accepted, but I don't think I could rewrite sufficiently well in different words to review the same books for BGO . 

Edited by grasshopper